Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of "Thread Nazis", "Board Police", Mod wannabe's , ect...

PCS

I'd like to say we need a sticky alone on the search function, or maybe add a screen to when a poster makes a thread that says "Have you used the search function or checked the most recent 2 pages of threads?" to check on so the poster thinks and looks before he/she posts (thus, the mods have even more backing for a NNT label).

I will say this, the other day I saw a YouTube of one of the talking Elmo's that after it's battery was replaced it started saying crazy death threats like "Kill James". I was going to start a thread in Tailgate cause that seemed like a great thread to talk about/laugh at in Tailgate. Search function again proved useless after typing "Elmo", so I looked through about 2-3 pages of threads and BINGO! there was a "Elmo making death threats". Thus, no MET required, no NNT for me-- problem solved.

Common sense + checking +search function (that's as reliable as Lloyd catching a pass for the Skins ;)- sorry it's true ) = less headaches for the Mods, less thread merging/fixing, less snippy current posters.

Think before you post a thread. And maybe ES can help those who forget/fail to think to do so as well.

Just a suggestion.

-WD

There are several modifications available to those licensed to use Vbulletin that can actually help you in this situation. Granted they will created database queries, so will using the search. There are AJAX functions which can replicate this without ever opening a new/refreshing a thread, which actually decrease server/database load.

That works for me. :silly:

Actually I often wonder if the fact that you are not face to face with a person causes the manner that people address other people. I have seen some of the rudest comments made by people on here that I thought were more mature than they showed in their posts. I think if you stop and reread your post before hitting the magic button that sends it to the board, you may find out what you said wasn't what you actually meant to say. Then again sometimes you say something in jest and forget to put a smiley icon on it and someone takes it as an insult when it wasn't meant to be one.

Of course it does. You're very right here. I've been cautioned for what I've said here but it's never been beyond the bounds of what would happen in a normal conversation. Sometimes it's appalling to read things on here, not because of what they say, but perhaps of how they're said.

For real, the oversized signature still hasnt been taken down. Ridiculous how it goes unseen in his own thread
I was at work and as soon as I knew there was a problem I took it down(thanks Jumbo)....My sig wont bother your mental capacity anymore:doh:

So let me guess LD0506, you are one of the moderator wannabes

wonderful, thanks for taking it upon yourself to dictate this board

And thank YOU for once again demonstrating so ably exactly the circumstances the PCS mentioned in the opening post :thumbsup:

Hap, while I understand what you're saying some days I think a bigger hazard might be those stumbling around with nine flags on their own shoe from shooting themselves in the foot.

Take what you want from this board. You are not important enough to dictate what is posted nor what is policed. If it's not a great disturbance keep your mouth shut, you're not important enought that your bunched panties should cause others' disturbances. If you can glance over a post and continue on, it's wonderful, if you can't, then wonder if others can. If you are truly bothered by something, then report it. If it's something that you simply don't like, realize you're not important enough to dictate the manner of everyone's being, and continue on with your reading.

Your lovely board reader,

Tryfuhl.

I'm thinking LD was correct. You really didn't read the whole thing did you? Or maybe you're just offering an opposing opinion on something where it doesn't belong. Let's try it this way. Actually, yes they are important enough to help dictate what is policed. Again, that is something that we have long encouraged here on ES. The community looks after itself. Best bet if called on things by said members,(preferably in a polite way), is to not get your panties in a bunch, keep your mouth shut, and heed what they say. Otherwise, that is when the ! button is hit and we mods get involved. And usually that's a bad thing. It's just that simple.

So let me guess LD0506, you are one of the moderator wannabes

wonderful, thanks for taking it upon yourself to dictate this board

Indeed. Thanks for trying to do so LDO506.

Park City Skins I would like to appologize for posting in your thread with a sig that was oversized and stirring up the biggest contreversy in Free agency:laugh: .

No worries. I had sigs turned off at the time so I missed it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking LD was correct. You really didn't read the whole thing did you? Or maybe you're just offering an opposing opinion on something where it doesn't belong. Let's try it this way. Actually, yes they are important enough to help dictate what is policed. Again, that is something that we have long encouraged here on ES. The community looks after itself. Best bet if called on things by said members,(preferably in a polite way), is to not get your panties in a bunch, keep your mouth shut, and heed what they say. Otherwise, that is when the ! button is hit and we mods get involved. And usually that's a bad thing. It's just that simple.

Indeed. Thanks for trying to do so LDO506.

No worries. I had sigs turned off at the time so I missed it.

Read the whole thing, yes I did

as a mod... keep sigs enabled, not sure why you wouldn't do such since you're in charge of maintaining such ordinances governing them

oopsie.gif

Read the whole thing, yes I did

as a mod... keep sigs enabled, not sure why you wouldn't do such since you're in charge of maintaining such ordinances governing them

oopsie.gif

So then it was option #2 then. Fair enough. Again, keep in mind what I said about the policy of the board taking care of itself. That's the way it has been and is right now. Probably will be for some time. And then keep in mind about what I recommended about what to do at times like that. If that's something that can't be done, then perhaps this isn't the place for you.

For the record books, mod's discretion. Tough day with the internet and the animated GIF some use here slowed things down considerably. If it helps, I've taken down 2 sigs just this a.m. . Have a nice day.

So then it was option #2 then. Fair enough. Again, keep in mind what I said about the policy of the board taking care of itself. That's the way it has been and is right now. Probably will be for some time. And then keep in mind about what I recommended about what to do at times like that. If that's something that can't be done, then perhaps this isn't the place for you.

For the record books, mod's discretion. Tough day with the internet and the animated GIF some use here slowed things down considerably. If it helps, I've taken down 2 sigs just this a.m. . Have a nice day.

I'm a die-hard skins fan, this should be the place for me.

I've kept within rules, don't see any issue.

<3 yah bud

Take what you want from this board. You are not important enough to dictate what is posted nor what is policed. If it's not a great disturbance keep your mouth shut, you're not important enought that your bunched panties should cause others' disturbances. If you can glance over a post and continue on, it's wonderful, if you can't, then wonder if others can. If you are truly bothered by something, then report it. If it's something that you simply don't like, realize you're not important enough to dictate the manner of everyone's being, and continue on with your reading.

Your lovely board reader,

Tryfuhl.

So if its not ok for the members to act like police and 'waste people's time' by complaining about rule violations, then why is it ok for other members to act like the police of the 'wanna be police' and 'waste people's time' by complaining about those who are complaining about the rule violations? According to your own advice, wouldn't it be better for you to just send PMs to the mode snitching on the people trying to dictate everybody else's being?

What do you have against being told that you broke a rule? Is that some kinda pride thing about being called out in public. Is it one of those "oh no he didn't..." type things? Is your manhood challenged?

If you're in a library and you're talking too loud, are you against a guy walking up to you and asking you to keep it down a little so that they can read? Or do you require them to go and get the librarian to tell you this same thing?

If you're driving on the streets and don't have your lights on, do you allow your fellow drivers to flash their lights at you to notify you of this, or is it a requirement that they call the cops on you, give them the make, model and tag number of your car and have you pulled over for this violation?

Suppose you're walking down the street and drop something out of your bag. If I notice this and tell you am I being a wanna be police, or should I just call the cops and have you pulled over for littering?

It seems like you're making unreasonable demands on the mods here at extremeskins, and criticizing the members for trying to do the polite things. Every situation doesn't have to be resolved through mods. Its actually nice to see the times where mods don't have to get involved. Its nice to see the violator notice their mistakes, correct them and move along (I'm not sure if the mods are working in the background through PMs though). Its even nicer when I see a violator who is notified in a message, and other new members see it and say I'm glad I didn't start another thread saying "why did we sign Brandon Lloyd?"

That's actually an interesting idea. I like that. A wish list...

Say... x number of wish list votes from extremeskins members over a certain period of time window and the *******'s IP is permanently "titans4lifed"...

before I reply to this, I just want to LOL @ mod wannabes

now I will read

but wait, one more LOL @ mod wannabes

I hope this wasn't directed at me.

So let me guess tryfuhl, you didn't actually read anything here beyond the title of the thread didya?

I like the idea Mark, reminds me of this......

The comedian Gallagher once suggested issuing drivers pistols and darts with an attached "stupid" flag. If someone cut them off in traffic, a driver would shoot at their car with a stupid dart. If a cop saw a car with more than five stupid darts, the driver would be pulled over and ticketed for being an idiot.

You would have members here that looked like porcupines :laugh:

:silly:
So if its not ok for the members to act like police and 'waste people's time' by complaining about rule violations, then why is it ok for other members to act like the police of the 'wanna be police' and 'waste people's time' by complaining about those who are complaining about the rule violations? According to your own advice, wouldn't it be better for you to just send PMs to the mode snitching on the people trying to dictate everybody else's being?

What do you have against being told that you broke a rule? Is that some kinda pride thing about being called out in public. Is it one of those "oh no he didn't..." type things? Is your manhood challenged?

If you're driving on the streets and don't have your lights on, do you allow your fellow drivers to flash their lights at you to notify you of this, or is it a requirement that they call the cops on you, give them the make, model and tag number of your car and have you pulled over for this violation?

Suppose you're walking down the street and drop something out of your bag. If I notice this and tell you am I being a wanna be police, or should I just call the cops and have you pulled over for littering?

It seems like you're making unreasonable demands on the mods here at extremeskins, and criticizing the members for trying to do the polite things. Every situation doesn't have to be resolved through mods. Its actually nice to see the times where mods don't have to get involved. Its nice to see the violator notice their mistakes, correct them and move along (I'm not sure if the mods are working in the background through PMs though). Its even nicer when I see a violator who is notified in a message, and other new members see it and say I'm glad I didn't start another thread saying "why did we sign Brandon Lloyd?"

I agree with TS, and I think his is an excellent post.

I think self moderation or member moderation only works for those who WANT to go along with the wishes of the greater community - which means following the rules. Members make mistakes, they're corrected, and they're usually pleased and thankful to be corrected (and maybe even a little embarrassed that they had to be corrected). The ones that view it as some kind of insult are probably the more arrogant and abrasive members.

I think the ones that are abrasive and tend to complain or criticize member moderation are probably more likely to be the ones that periodically need formal moderation themselves.

I agree with TS, and I think his is an excellent post.

I second that and would point him out as an example to some that like to blame things on "those kids" as proof that they are wrong.

I think self moderation or member moderation only works for those who WANT to go along with the wishes of the greater community - which means following the rules. Members make mistakes, they're corrected, and they're usually pleased and thankful to be corrected (and maybe even a little embarrassed that they had to be corrected).

But you know, who does that kind of thing? Your friends, your family, people that you have more than just a nodding acquaintance with. Those kind of things actually get people talking back and forth TO each other and not just at them. There is a lot of that type of banter here and when it is done with some sense of civility it only enhances the community aspect of ES. It isn't modding or wanna-be modding, it is normal interaction between people, not just faceless ciphers in the cyber-wastelands.

I'm joining this party a little late, but I would like to add something. When members of this community (and I think of it as a community more so than an mere message board), allow indescretions, rules violations, and disrespectful posts to go unfettered, the message is sent to all new members and guests that this board is no different from any other message board. But, it is, and most of us know that.

All communities prosper when its members are responsible and look after each other. I think that's what many who believe in helping police the board are trying to do.

Hail,

H

Archived