Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Skins to pursue Drayton Florence - speculation

dfbovey

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

League sources expect the Redskins to pursue free agent cornerback Drayton Florence, who played for the Chargers.

Some other stuff in there about the cap, Briggs, DJ Hackett and other free agents. But I thought the tidbit about Florence was interesting because I hadn't heard it before.

Wouldn't mind that move as a security blanket for Rogers injury... replace Macklin. In fact I wouldn't mind at all if they just get this guy, Hackett and address both lines in the draft.

Give the new staff a year to get comfortable and then see what they need after that.

--The Redskins have restructured tackle Jon Jansen's contract, converting base salary to bonuses and saving about $3.1 million against the cap, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The team is now about $4 million over the cap but with the contracts of Mark Brunell and Rock Cartwright voiding next week, they are essentially in compliance. The team can still re-do as many as six other contracts if necessary. Expect meetings with the agents of several players to happen at the combine, including the agent for cornerback Shawn Springs.

--The Redskins have expressed interest in retaining offensive lineman Jason Fabini, scheduled to become a free agent next week. He has spent most of his career as a starting tackle in the league and impressed many with his adjustment to guard, starting there most of the season after Randy Thomas was hurt. Given Fabini's experience and versatility, he is inclined to test the market but is not opposed to returning to the Redskins in a reserve role, according to a source. The sides are likely to speak again at the combine.

--The team is also interested in re-signing punter Derrick Frost and backup quarterback Todd Collins from its group of potential free agents.

--If the Redskins pursue potential free-agent linebacker Lance Briggs of the Bears for the second consecutive year, it won't come cheap, according to league sources. Drew Rosenhaus, Briggs's agent, is seeking a deal worth $20 million guaranteed and averaging about $7 million a season, according to a source. Chicago recently made a modest offer to retain hm but the team expects Briggs to become a free agent, according to a source. Given the Redskins' cap situation and desire to procure a star wide receiver on the open market, Briggs could prove too pricey. The Bears believe the 49ers will be Briggs's most determined suitor.

--Should the Redskins fail to land a star receiver, Seattle wideout D.J. Hackett could be attractive to new coach Jim Zorn, who spent the last seven years with the Seahawks.

--League sources expect the Redskins to pursue free agent cornerback Drayton Florence, who played for the Chargers.

FYI

Drayton Florence

Ht./Wt.: 6-0/195

Position: CB

Born: 12/19/80, Waycross, GA.

High school: Richland Northeast (Columbia, S.C.), then Vanguard. College: Tuskegee.

Strengths: Has excellent athleticism and good size. Can line up outside or in the slot. Uses his long arms well, has quick feet in press coverage, and can run with receivers downfield. Has quality quickness in transition and when recovering. Closes quickly in run support and is a solid wrap-up tackler.

Weaknesses: Needs to improve his technique and route awareness. Will bite on fakes and double moves. Can lose his balance and be slow to break on the ball. Gets out of position playing in the slot.

Bottom line: Florence is a solid starter with room to grow. With Sammy Davis gone, look for him to take on more of a role in the Chargers secondary.

That certainly would be an under-the-radar choice. Sounds like a hard-working guy who worked his way into the starting lineup.

Jason

Totally called it weeks ago:

On defense, we need a solid corner but spend reasonably, but with Spring gone, we may have to get into a bidding war for a player like Marcus Trufant. If we don't have the money for him or an Assante Samuel, a step beneath that would be Randall Gay or Drayton Florence (Chargers), solid dependable corners who have started in successful defenses but aren't too spectacular.

As my reward I want Krispy Kreme donuts.

I say stay away from Briggs. We don't need him even with Rocky out awhile. Florence would be an excellent PU, if we don't sign him for megabucks. Hackett is the WR I'd like to see us get since he knows Seattle's (JZ's) OF. The big time WR I think JLC is referring to has to be BIG mouth, but talented Cincy goldtooth himself. Go with Hackett.

Yeah, I think he's a good choice as someone who can push for a starting position and add depth, particularly until Rogers comes back. My concern is that he's going to be the top corner on the market after Asante Samuels since Trufant and Asomugha have been tagged. That's gonna drive his price way up.

Jason LaCanfora Checks In

--The Redskins have restructured tackle Jon Jansen's contract, converting base salary to bonuses and saving about $3.1 million against the cap, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The team is now about $4 million over the cap but with the contracts of Mark Brunell and Rock Cartwright voiding next week, they are essentially in compliance. The team can still re-do as many as six other contracts if necessary. Expect meetings with the agents of several players to happen at the combine, including the agent for cornerback Shawn Springs.

--The Redskins have expressed interest in retaining offensive lineman Jason Fabini, scheduled to become a free agent next week. He has spent most of his career as a starting tackle in the league and impressed many with his adjustment to guard, starting there most of the season after Randy Thomas was hurt. Given Fabini's experience and versatility, he is inclined to test the market but is not opposed to returning to the Redskins in a reserve role, according to a source. The sides are likely to speak again at the combine.

--The team is also interested in re-signing punter Derrick Frost and backup quarterback Todd Collins from its group of potential free agents.

--If the Redskins pursue potential free-agent linebacker Lance Briggs of the Bears for the second consecutive year, it won't come cheap, according to league sources. Drew Rosenhaus, Briggs's agent, is seeking a deal worth $20 million guaranteed and averaging about $7 million a season, according to a source. Chicago recently made a modest offer to retain hm but the team expects Briggs to become a free agent, according to a source. Given the Redskins' cap situation and desire to procure a star wide receiver on the open market, Briggs could prove too pricey. The Bears believe the 49ers will be Briggs's most determined suitor.

--Should the Redskins fail to land a star receiver, Seattle wideout D.J. Hackett could be attractive to new coach Jim Zorn, who spent the last seven years with the Seahawks.

--League sources expect the Redskins to pursue free agent cornerback Drayton Florence, who played for the Chargers.

Does anyone actually talk to JLC or is all just speculation from fan message boards? Anyone could have gotten the Jansen restructure info from www.nflpa.org like PCinOz did.

If Florence is signed it will be to replace Springs, no way does he come here to be the no. 3 or 4 guy.

Hypothetically, if Florence were to replace Springs, the roster would not have a true no.1 shutdown corner on it, but there would be 3 solid no.2 types in Florence, Smoot & Rogers.

FYI

Drayton Florence

Ht./Wt.: 6-0/195

Position: CB

Born: 12/19/80, Waycross, GA.

High school: Richland Northeast (Columbia, S.C.), then Vanguard. College: Tuskegee.

Strengths: Has excellent athleticism and good size. Can line up outside or in the slot. Uses his long arms well, has quick feet in press coverage, and can run with receivers downfield. Has quality quickness in transition and when recovering. Closes quickly in run support and is a solid wrap-up tackler.

Weaknesses: Needs to improve his technique and route awareness. Will bite on fakes and double moves. Can lose his balance and be slow to break on the ball. Gets out of position playing in the slot.

Bottom line: Florence is a solid starter with room to grow. With Sammy Davis gone, look for him to take on more of a role in the Chargers secondary.

I'll be damned a Columbia boy RNE Cavs

I'd rather have Asante Samuel. Florence can hit. I give him that. But then again I'd like to have someone who is a total shut down CB like Samuel.

How about a pass rush instead?

:laugh:

Florence is actually a perfect fit for the Redskins. He will come cheap and is capable depth until the team DRAFTS a replacement for Shawn Springs in 2009/10;).

Then the Skins can use the draft to shore up both lines, grab a WR and continue to build upwards.

Archived