Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Skins to pursue Drayton Florence - speculation

dfbovey

If Florence is signed it will be to replace Springs, no way does he come here to be the no. 3 or 4 guy.

Hypothetically, if Florence were to replace Springs, the roster would not have a true no.1 shutdown corner on it, but there would be 3 solid no.2 types in Florence, Smoot & Rogers.

Disagree. I think that Springs stays. Rogers is going to be out part of the season, so I don't think he is cut.

How about a pass rush instead?

:laugh:

Florence is actually a perfect fit for the Redskins. He will come cheap and is capable depth until the team DRAFTS a replacement for Shawn Springs in 2009/10;).

Then the Skins can use the draft to shore up both lines, grab a WR and continue to build upwards.

We should REALLY make a run at Rod Coleman, Theres not much noise on him and we could offer him a decent contract and incentive and then we can draft our studs in the draft and not worry about the depth of the D line.

We need studs on our D-line, we have capable back ups.

We need depth on our O-line-and younger players to groom(like Heyer)

I could maybe see us addressing WR in either the 3rd or 5th round because the draft is THICK with receivers.

If we grab Florence you better believe we will grab Briggs, and maybe Hackett.

If we get chad johnson, briggs is out the picture.

Pretty much I see us signing a decent CB in the FA but not a top tier corner like Samuels.

Personally we dont need a top tier CB. WE have a decent amout of 1st rounders tied up into our secondart and Smoot I believe will play lights out this season.

If Springs goes to Dallass I wouldnt be shocked. His dad played there after all.

I would hate to lose him though..

um yeah, especially to dallas.

Out of all the teams he would go to if he went to dallas it would just prove my point he isn't a core redskins like someone was telling me he was.

He's just here for the money, exactly like i said.

Maybe so, but id Springs stays, Florence dosent sign with the skins.

I wouldn't see the reason to keep Springs,Florence,Rogers,Smoot, and Torrence..

I dont know though, you dont sign a guy like florence a 3rd string cbs money.

I think eventually Rogers will be moved to 1cb and If we get florence he will be our number 2 with Smoot playing nickle..

springs would have no role.

I wouldn't see the reason to keep Springs,Florence,Rogers,Smoot, and Torrence..

I dont know though, you dont sign a guy like florence a 3rd string cbs money.

I think eventually Rogers will be moved to 1cb and If we get florence he will be our number 2 with Smoot playing nickle..

springs would have no role.

What about the possibilty of Sprins playing Safety. He's always been a good tackler for a CB. I think he could play either saftey position.

before you get all pie-eyed over Florence...lots of other teams will be looking at him as a supposed cheaper target at corner. He isn't going to be cheap so forget that. he will likely want to be a starter and pick a team where that is likely to happen. Believe it, he will have lots of suitors so our chances are not necessarily that great.

it would be nice to see the Redskins do some value shopping with veterans the way the Nationals have the past year or so.

rather than looking at Randy Moss or Justin Smith and giving them a big contract, I agree we should be looking at mid-tier guys like Florence or Rod Coleman (if healthy) and give them an incentive deal that makes 'em hungry to perform for us :)

One thing I think the Redskins CAN learn from the Giants is to DRAFT defensive linemen to make an impact on your team while using FREE AGENCY to acquire the outside players including wide receivers and corners.

I don't think we are the only team that now understands the importance of D line as a result of the Giants winning the Superbowl. And furthermore, I don't even know if we have "woken up" yet and realized the significance of developing a stud front 4. Our defensive crooked way of applying pressure on the offense via the secondary first as opposed to the D line is frightening. Hopefully the Skins will prove me wrong this year in the draft and draft in the trenches this year

:cheers:

the Redskins defensive philosophy at the start of 2007 will never be repeated by the club for a couple of reasons:

1. With Sean Taylor gone, we simply lack the talent in the secondary to take an outside-inside approach on that side of the ball. You can add in Carlos Rogers' knee injury here as well.

2. Gregg Williams has departed and Greg Blache is the new DC. Blache has been a DL coach and knows the value of the 'big uglies'. Look for a greater emphasis on the front seven than in recent years at the top of the draft order.

Archived