Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NEW D-LINE COACH - Vinny's Boy

Hooper

Am I the only one who paid enough attention to know that Greg Blache is also a Notre Dame guy--both as player and coach? Who says this isn't his hire and not Vinny's?

According to their bios they were never at Notre Dame at the same time.

Palermo had all of 2 years at Notre Dame.

Vinny was there both years Palermo was there. And seeing how recruiting coordinators typically work closely with position coaches in the recruiting process, I don't think it's a stretch to say they have a relationship.

Considering that I keep hearing that he's one of the most respected D-Line coaches in college football tells me his career has been far from mediocre.

Jason

It only says that on his bio, what do you think they are going to say about him? 4 or 5 all americans in 27 years of coaching and no noteable NFL players sounds mediocre to me. He also never made it past position coach until this past year when he was the D coordinator for Tennesee Tech and then was burnt out to the point of retiring. I feel we could of done much better. It's one thing to get a young, hungry college positon coach with no NFL experience but to get one who at the twilight of his career is questionable.

Palermo, though, has no NFL experience. He's a college guy. Another easy transition for the 2008 Redskins :laugh:

The Redskins are going to have to keep Phillip Daniels now to be the de facto line coach :laugh:

Somehow, I don't think there is all that much difference from being a position coach in college and being one in the pros, other than the talent level is much higher. Technique is technique, no matter what the level.

Jason

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/SPORTS06/71211028/-1/RSS05

This guy just retired from a mediocre college coaching career and now he joins our staff. What's wrong with hiring some up and coming people to be position coaches or at least someone who has had some success in the NFL? Why do we keep wanting to hire people who are on their way out of the business?

Our only ray of hope is Kirk Olivadotti. He's been with us through all of these changes. He's been exposed to some of the best defensive minds of the last 10 or 15 years. His preparation and attention to detail impressed GW and even a vet like London Fletcher. And he's young.

Kirk is our future. Everyone else is just filler until he's ready to take over.

Oh shut yer pie holes with this "Buddies League" or "Old Boys club" or "Favorites".

This is how coporate america runs as well as every damn sports franchise ever. People hire people they are comfortable with and would rathar work with people whom they've had a working relationship with.

Ugh, this board is almost impossible nowadays with everything being so negative.

Archived