Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NEW D-LINE COACH - Vinny's Boy

Hooper

Whether this guy is any good remains to be seen, but this hiring is no different than the way all teams do it. They all pick guys they know or like from past experience. Gibbs had his cronies (in fact getting his son into coaching was one of the things he mentioned when he was rehired). Spurrier had his. Schottenheimer had his son, etc.

Do you think Dan Henning was just hired in Miami because he a young, up and coming coach with fresh ideas, or because he knew and had worked with Parcells before?

Whether this guy is any good remains to be seen, but this hiring is no different than the way all teams do it. They all pick guys they know or like from past experience. Gibbs had his cronies (in fact getting his son into coaching was one of the things he mentioned when he was rehired). Spurrier had his. Schottenheimer had his son, etc.

Do you think Dan Henning was just hired in Miami because he a young, up and coming coach with fresh ideas, or because he knew and had worked with Parcells before?

No, it was a decision by Vinny Cerrato, so I hate it! He should have asked us for our permission first.

Yeah - how dare them hire a defensive line coach to coach the defensive line. What are they thinking??? :doh:

The problem is Blache, as DC, had his choice interview and Vinny overruled him to bring in his own guy. Basically, Vinny overruled Blache on who his DL coach could be. That's not exactly what I call synergy between front office and the coaching staff.

No, it was a decision by Vinny Cerrato, so I hate it! He should have asked us for our permission first.

:laugh: Good point. I think we need to develop a permission slip that Vinny needs to fill out every time he makes a hire or signs a player.

The problem is Blache, as DC, had his choice interview and Vinny overruled him to bring in his own guy. Basically, Vinny overruled Blache on who his DL coach could be. That's not exactly what I call synergy between front office and the coaching staff.

How do you know this is the way it went down?

I've given up on caring about things I can't control. I laughed when I first saw this on ESPN. Thats all I can do...and get boozed out of my mind for the next few months!

Washington Redskins of old = always had a smile on my face.

Washington Redskins of present = always have mutliple beers in my hands.

Thank you Dan Snyder for turning me into an alcoholic! lol

Again, this is an assumption. How do you know Blache didn't sign off on this?

Also, I wouldn't call a guy who worked with Vinny 20 years ago "vinny's boy". In fact, it is what I'd expect from a guy in his position to provide names of suitible guys for the position.

Jason

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/SPORTS06/71211028/-1/RSS05

This guy just retired from a mediocre college coaching career and now he joins our staff. What's wrong with hiring some up and coming people to be position coaches or at least someone who has had some success in the NFL? Why do we keep wanting to hire people who are on their way out of the business?

On December 11, 2007 this guy said the following:

“Right now, my intention is to leave the coaching profession,” he

said. “Thirty-four years in this profession is enough for me.”

Does this guy have the fire to coach anymore or does he want a final retirement paycheck and a chance to hang out with his old buddy from the Notre Dame days. Even our DC was about ready to retire.

I guess the word "Kidding" didn't register. The guy shares a name with my cousin and they both live in Florida. That's all they have in common.

Jason

From the article you posted earlier:

Palermo is regarded as one of the best defensive assistant coaches in the nation and is a respected recruiter with ties to the East Coast.

From when he left Wisconsin...

http://wisconsin.scout.com/2/467409.html

At least someone thinks he is good. However, I don't like that he has never coached in the NFL.

Again, this is an assumption. How do you know Blache didn't sign off on this?

Also, I wouldn't call a guy who worked with Vinny 20 years ago "vinny's boy". In fact, it is what I'd expect from a guy in his position to provide names of suitible guys for the position.

Jason

It is an assumption, but quite a reasonable assumption.

I don't think it's too far a stretch to believe Blache brought in Larry Brooks for an interview. And if he thought enough of one of his guys to bring him in for an interview, I can't imagine he wouldn't sign off on his hiring.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/28/AR2008012802636.html

The Washington Redskins interviewed longtime NFL assistant Larry Brooks for their vacant defensive line coaching position yesterday, with league sources expecting him to be hired this week. Brooks spent the day at Redskins Park with his longtime associate Greg Blache, who was promoted from defensive line coach to defensive coordinator Saturday.

Brooks, 57, is well versed in the technique and terminology that Blache uses. Both are part of the Mike Holmgren branch of the West Coast coaching tree. Both also have ties to former NFL coach Steve Mariucci. Blache and Brooks were part of the same staff in Green Bay and when Blache was defensive coordinator in Chicago in 2003, Brooks was his defensive line coach.

Brooks, a native of Prince George, Va., played for Virginia State and was a star defensive tackle in the NFL. He made the Pro Bowl with the Los Angeles Rams for five straight years (1976-1980). Brooks coached Arizona's defensive line in 2006, but was let go when Dennis Green was fired as head coach. The Redskins could complete a deal with Brooks shortly as they try to assemble a staff in the aftermath of Joe Gibbs's sudden retirement three weeks ago. Former Giants coach Jim Fassel is a leading candidate to replace Gibbs, but the team will not decide until after the Super Bowl.

"That's Blache's right-hand man," one NFL source said of Brooks. "There's a lot of trust there. If he's in there today [at Redskins Park], then I'm telling you that's Blache's guy" for the job.

I also don't think it's a stretch to think that Cerrato overruled Blache given Brooks got an interview, but someone who has more of a past with Cerrato than Blache was hired.

You're right, it is an assumption. But I don't think you have to put on a tinfoil hat to connect these dots. It just seems like the most likely answer. :(

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/redskins/

D-line hire [David Elfin]

An NFL source said that John Palermo, who coached at Notre Dame in 1988-89 when Redskins executive vice president Vinny Cerrato was the recruiting coordinator, will be hired as Washington's defensive line coach, filling the void created by Greg Blache's promotion to defensive coordinator last month.

Palermo, now at the University of Miami, has coached in bowls in 17 of his 27 seasons. He coached Big Ten Defensive Players of the Year Erasmus James and Wendell Bryant at Wisconsin and Lombardi Trophy winner Chris Zorich, later a Redskin, at Notre Dame. Palmero was head coach at Austin Peay in 199

Am I the only one who paid enough attention to know that Greg Blache is also a Notre Dame guy--both as player and coach? Who says this isn't his hire and not Vinny's?

Am I the only one who paid enough attention to know that Greg Blache is also a Notre Dame guy--both as player and coach? Who says this isn't his hire and not Vinny's?

The only problem with that theory is that they weren't at Notre Dame together. It looks like Blache was there until the early 80s, while Palermo was there in the late 80s.

Jason

Archived