Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Zorn and Blache named coordinators

Art

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

January 26, 2008

BLACHE, ZORN NAMED REDSKINS COORDINATORS

ASHBURN, VA – The Washington Redskins today named veteran defensive coach Greg Blache to lead the team’s defense and Jim Zorn as his counterpart on the offense.

The team also released their predecessors, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

“I want to thank Gregg and Al for all they did for the team,” Team Owner Daniel M. Snyder said. “In particular, during our most difficult time last year, they both helped hold the team together as we kept moving forward. I am confident they will continue to be successful in the years ahead.”

“Greg Blache is an outstanding coach with deep experience. Players respond to him, and his co-workers respect him. He has our full confidence,” Snyder said. “We’re counting on Jim to continue Jason Campbell’s growth, while moving our offense forward.”

“The process of selecting a new head coach continues, although no hire is planned until after the Super Bowl so as not to distract from the Championship game as well as to keep open all our options,” Snyder added. “We are on track with our interviews, but in the interim we also are filling our coaching positions and re-signing several existing staff members. During our interviews with prospective head coaches we heard time and again how highly respected some of our 2007 assistant coaches were and who they would select to fill out their staffs. That intelligence is helping guide our hiring decisions.”

Blache has been in the NFL for 21 seasons as a defensive coach, serving as the Redskins’ defensive coordinator/defensive line coach for the past four seasons. Zorn joins the Redskins from the Seattle Seahawks, where for the past seven seasons he served as quarterbacks coach for the team that launched his professional career as a player and as a coach.

Blache joined the Redskins in 2004 after five seasons as Chicago’s defensive coordinator. In both cities his units earned a reputation – with the statistics to back it up – as solid, aggressive forces. At Washington, he shares credit for the defensive unit being ranked in the League’s top 10 for three of his four seasons (8th, 9th, 3rd). The story was similar in Chicago, where Blache’s Bears defense was a consistent hard-hitting group, regularly being ranked in the League’s top 10.

Zorn joined the Seahawks as quarterbacks coach in 2001, 25 years after he was the team’s first starting signal-caller when the franchise was founded in 1976, and was named NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year. He led the Seahawks for nine seasons and currently is honored in the team’s Ring of Honor. He is credited with the development of current Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and the team’s regular high ranking in League offensive statistics, as well as Hasselbeck’s personal Pro Bowl-level performances.

Zorn joined the Seahawks after holding the same position with the Detroit Lions for three seasons after breaking into the League as an offensive assistant with the Seahawks in 1997. Prior to becoming a professional coach, Zorn spent eight seasons in the collegiate ranks, two as quarterback coach at the University of Minnesota, three as Utah State’s offensive coordinator, and three as an offensive assistant/quarterbacks coach at Boise State.

Blache began his professional career as defensive line coach for the Indianapolis Colts for five seasons, and held the same position with the Green Bay Packers for six years after breaking into the League in 1988. He began his coaching career as a defensive assistant at his alma mater Notre Dame in 1968 after suffering a leg injury that ended his playing career. Following his graduation in 1971, he stayed on as a graduate assistant and then as an assistant coach for four seasons. In 1976 he joined Tulane’s staff where in various seasons he coached the offensive line, outside linebackers, and defensive backs. He returned to Notre Dame in 1981 to coach the running backs, followed by the defensive line and linebackers. He was defensive line coach for the USFL’s Jacksonville Bulls for 1984-85, before returning to college to coach at Southern University and Kansas for one season each.

Blache and his wife Lynn have six children. Zorn and his wife Joy have four children.

Players and Coaches Respond To Today’s Announcement:

Former Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs On Greg Blache: “Greg Blache has done a great job for us these past four seasons and is an outstanding coach with the respect of the entire staff and players. He is certainly a key figure in keeping the continuity of the organization.”

Jason Campbell on Redskins Offensive Coordinator Jim Zorn: “I had the opportunity to meet Jim Zorn at the Combine before being drafted by the Redskins and came away really impressed by him. “I've heard a lot of great things about him both as a coach and as a person. I’m looking forward to getting started working with him.”

Redskins Special Teams Coach Danny Smith On Jim Zorn: “I worked with Jim in Detroit and I’m thrilled to be able to work with him again. He is an outstanding coach with respect from everyone throughout the League.”

Its called damage control. Blache is okay - who really knows on that front - but I see this as a bone thrown to the fans in the name of 'continuity', not necessarily finding the best DC available. Then again, at this point, I'll confess to being pretty cynical.

This is wonderful news! First piece of good news in a long time!

I also notice that everything that our own secret source posted last week is coming to pass:

link

The heirarchy wants to keep Byner, Bugel and Blache from the previous staff. All others are probably gone.

Good sources as usual I guess.

:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck

:cheers:

Its called damage control. Blache is okay - who really knows on that front - but I see this as a bone thrown to the fans in the name of 'continuity', not necessarily finding the best DC available. Then again, at this point, I'll confess to being pretty cynical.

Who can blame you for being cynical? This entire process is a joke. Snyder is the most inept owner in the NFL.

If Fassel is named HC I honestly do not know what I am going to do. I love the Skins, but I just can't stomach this.

Oh Christ. It's definitely Fassel now.

This new head coach is obviously going to be a puppet anyway, so what difference does it make if it's Fassel?

Zorn wil call the plays, Blache will run the defense. Fassel can just stand there & look stupid.

I, myself, am on the Spagnola bandwagon, but I don't know why they would already name a DC if they were getting him.....

Archived