Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Zorn and Blache named coordinators

Art

Well I'll say this, I think that Greg Blache did one heck of a job with the Bear's defense when he was there so I think he'll do very well with ours, but I still think that Gregg Williams should have been retained as the HC. Who knows about Jim Zorn and if he'll bring the west coast offense to D.C. Hope the new offense what ever its going to be doesn't throw JC for loop having to learn another system.

It looks as if Fassal will be our next HC and in that case I think we are screwed.

Thanks again Danny Boy to you and your flunky Vinny C. The two of you have probably just made us the laughing stock of the NFL agian. Hey I know I said made us even though we the fans have no direct ownership in the team, a team is not a team without the fans that support.

So here goes nothing again big Dan you have proven once more that in all of your smarts that have made you so wealthy at such an early age there is no part of your brain that has any football knowledge except that one small part that got you to hire Gibbs back 4 years ago. And now that he is gone your back to thinking you know football and you don't. This is a sad time to be a Skins fan.

I hope you get enough smarts to sell the team.

Why? Please explain.

Just from what i've read and heard about Zorn. He seems to take a slightly unconventional approach to develpoing QB skills. He taught Seattle QB's proper sliding techniques by breaking out a slip and slide. Also Hasselbeck said Zorn made them go through handoff drills at a walking pace to get it down like clockwork. Hasselbeck said he notice it improved his handoffs in that he got the ball in deeper to the RB. I dunno, just the little things I guess. I still think Jason is unpolished and Zorn sounds like the guy that can do it. That is unless Zorn wants a different QB.

Link:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/328887_hawk24.html

Isn't this a bassackwards way of doing it, or is this normal. I thought when you hired an HC he had say so in who he wants to bring in depending on what offensive and defensive philosophy the coordinators specialize in. Has Danny hamstrung himself into finding an HC that agrees with Zorns and Blaches systems??

Maybe they have already talked about it on the radio but I missed it.

Pretty ass-backwards. The speculation is that whoever Snyder is leaning toward had heavy emphasis on the hiring of the offensive coaching staff. Continuity obviously played a big part on the defensive side's decision on Blache, so I'm thinking whoever we bring in as HC is NOT a defense guy. It's gotta be someone who runs (or would be open to running) a more west-coast style of offense (Mariucci perhaps??) to fit in with Zorn.

Then again, Zorn was a QB coach. Who really knows what kind of offense he'll bring to the table...

Pretty ass-backwards. The speculation is that whoever Snyder is leaning toward had heavy emphasis on the hiring of the offensive coaching staff. Continuity obviously played a big part on the defensive side's decision on Blache, so I'm thinking whoever we bring in as HC is NOT a defense guy. It's gotta be someone who runs (or would be open to running) a more west-coast style of offense (Mariucci perhaps??) to fit in with Zorn.

Then again, Zorn was a QB coach. Who really knows what kind of offense he'll bring to the table...

I agree! I don't think they are bringing in a defense guy at all. The defense was good, but the offense has just been ok. GW was not going to stay on as a DC and the Al Saunders experiment was over either way (i.e. Snyder wasn't handing AS the reigns and AS wasn't going to stick around with GW as the head guy). So to keep continuity on defense they promoted Blache... he's been a coordinator before, knows the system, etc. Therefore they don't need Meeks or Spagnuolo.

Snyder brought in GZ to develop JC but he isn't bringing an offense with him. So that leaves Fassel and McDaniels. Fassel is ok... I could take him or leave him. McDaniels on the other hand has been with New England for 7 years and he is the OC for (some might say arguably) the most successful offense in the history of the league. That's what Snyder wants... the greatest show on turf... right here in DC... it's his style. Sure, he's young, but he is going to have a lot of experience surrounding him and who can argue with a guy who led his team to 19-0!!! Snyder could hire Fassel tomorrow... but he won't. He'll sit down with McDaniels after the SB and throw some HUGE $$ at him... if that doesn't work Fassel is the back-up plan.

McDaniels hasn't led anybody. He is part of the most dominant football team this decade and part of an offense that was just fine under Charlie Weiss. He has had a hand helping to get Tom Brady, but I fear if he were hired he might struggle just as Weiss has. Guys like Crenell and Sean Payton can model and learn from legends, but they are different people. YOU have to lead if you are a head coach and the Skins have lost a great leader in Gregg Williams and they can promote assistants from within, but can Blatche lead like Williams? This historic football team has been reduced to a second rate job where your choices are Jim Fassell (Puke) and coordinators like Spagz (who is not better than GW) and people with no head coaching experience (like McDaniels.) Which one of the above listed guys would want a job on a team that has been fully staffed already? It would be like me picking a wife and kid for you and saying now "have a great life. Make this marriage work." The Redskins have been wallowing in mediocrity for a damn decade. Whe are starting to look like the Cubs. Daniel Snyder can throw as much $ at the problem as he wants, but he and Cerrato are the problems. I almost believe that Snyder brings a coach in and tells to drop trow and says "nope, its bigger than mine. have a nice day." Well Dan and Vinny, thanks a lot guys.

Originally Posted by Ezravex

then maybe it is possible that Snyder could give GW a HC contract?

Um...he just fired Gregg.

Your point is? I already knew he was fired if you would have read my thread further. All i wanted to know is once fired from a position, could the owner offer another contract at a different position. Basically got the answer myself, thanks for fillin' me in on something obvious.

"Rex Ryan, fired as defensive coordinator on Dec. 31, was RE-HIRED and PROMOTED on Monday Jan. 28th as the team's assistant head coach/defensive coordinator."

Seeing this.. Shows that Snyder could have still offered Gregg an HC contract. I didn't ask if he was going to.. just asked if he could after dismissing his current contract.

Holland!

I have to believe that Snyder already has a coach in mind. I just can't get around the fact that they've already hired the OC/DC but not the HC!!! Does anyone know of any other team ever doing this?

PS: I like the Zorn hire, but fear Greg Blache. He was quoted back in Chicago as saying, "sacks are overated". I understand that getting pressure or flushing the QB can be just as good but I think we've seen what happens when you actually start putting a QB on his behind. Oh well maybe he's learned a thing or two.

Archived