Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Zorn and Blache named coordinators

Art

Just wanted to say, that I don't think Fassel will be named now because, he's more of an offense guy, a "quarterback guy" to boot, and Zorn is a quarterbacks coach, so we'll probably hire a defensive guy. It's probably a lot easier for a Defensive head coach and a defensive coordinator to agree on things, as long as one doesn't run a 3-4 and the other is a 4-3 guy, or something completely opposite like that. Most great defensive coaches have many more common philosophies like "I want my defense to tackle hard, play physical, hit hard, cause turnovers, get to the quarterback, etc." Offensive strategies are more likely to differ once you get past "run then throw", "throw then run", "throw, throw throw", "run run run". If we get an offensive head coach at this point, he's gonna have to probably be some sort of west coast (or hybrid west coast) style coach to mesh well with Zorn and the stuff they've been doing out there in Seattle. I feel this kind of eliminates offensive guys, like Fassel & McDaniels. So, if you agree that we're more likely to get a guy with a defensive background, then we should look at who's out there.

Spagnola (sp) runs a defense that emphasizes the D-line, and our new DC is a D-line guy, so if we got him, we'd probably go after some D-line guys in the draft/free agency and look to apply pressure from our line, something people have been screaming for on here since before this past season started. They already inherit a nice linebacking core and a secondary that is playing really really well considering there's a missing safety. (Thanks for everything Sean)

But, also, you have Rex Ryan, who's multi-look D would look pretty nice in burgandy and gold. We've got some really versatile guys on Defense that could easily pull it off. We used Marcus Washington in down line situations and have a lot of speed and smarts with Fletcher. Rocky McIntosh has shown his ability to learn and accept the pressure of a large role very quickly. We also have the other Landry that shows lots of promise in the secondary and some hard hitting guys in there. Our defensive personnel wouldn't probably have to change a whole lot at as we get guys like Carlos Rogers back from injury, with Smoot and <hopefully> Springs again we could definately pick up a beast d-lineman in the draft and I don't think Ryan and Blache would conflict too much. Ryan's schemes use plenty of 4-3 style setups that would keep Blache happy, and many other fun looks that our defense could easily pull off. We've also had plenty of younger guys show promise (montgomery, golston, godfrey, hb blades, alexander, mcintosh, landry, wilson). Hell, maybe we'd go 46 D?

There's always Bill Cowher still a remote possibility too. We'd probably be looking 3-4 then, but even 3-4 guys have converted to 4-3 before to fit the personnel. Regardless, Cowher would demand toughness and winning on both sides of the ball and is the type of coach you expect to stick around for a while.

Shrug, I'm sure there's plenty of other possibilities, and maybe some of my philosophies are crossed in my backing, but it just seems more likely to me, that a defensive coach would be more likely to mesh well with an already assigned d coordinator, than an offensive coach would be to mesh with an allready assigned OC.

I am literally at a loss of opinion either way what happens HC wise, I have no clue what to expect anymore.

I'm with you. I have no idea where they are going with this now. I do like the fact that we are running the same defensive system, and it seems like Danny Smith will stay on, so there is some continuity. I think the offense needed a change anyways, so Zorn seems like a good idea.

I am a little worried about what prospective head coaches will think about having their coordinators pre-selected.

distract from what?

as though the football world is hnaging on what Snyder does. It would be noted and then forgotten by most NFL fans.

what ann egomaniacal dumb arse.

I'm not saying the rest of the world gives a rip about this stuff....But as a Skins fan it would still be better than espn or the NFofl Network rehashing the manning brady stuff.

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN OUT OF THE MENTAL INSTITUTION AND WHY ARE YOU NOT TAKING YOUR MEDICINE??

I honestly agree with the quote. I think these coaches are highly regarded and that they'll do fine here. I'm not understanding why everyone seems to be jumping off the bridge because Williams wasn't selected. Does it really matter?!!! The Skins are like $20 million OVER the salary cap. This is a "set-up" year for almost any coach that takes the job.

Campbell is the perfect person for a west coast style offense, NOT!!!! Might as well trade Campbell while he has some value, while you are at it trade Portis as well. The team will suck next year, might as well get value for the good players before their stock falls. It will be interesting to see how many players re-neg contracts to make cap space.

Honestly though, Campbell is not a good fit for the west coast offense, he does not have a quick release and he has a real hard time putting touch on the ball. It really appears that everything that Gibbs put together is being dismantled. If I were Portis I would not re-neg he can catch on with a better team that has a better chance of winning a championship.

Portis will be trade bait or cut if does not re-neg

Springs will be cut because he refuses to re-neg

Griffin will be cut if he does not re-neg

Jantzen re-signed to a fat contract but I do not know how much guaranteed he may be cut as well

Washington will be cut if he does not re-neg

With the exception of Jantzen I think there would be demand for these players in FA. Where would you rather be here with DannyBOY or maybe on the Giants, Colts or Cowboys. Teams with a legitimate chance for a title.

After 40 years as a loyal fan, I'm done with the Redskins. I've never seen an owner destroy a storied franchise quicker than Dan Snyder and his cronie Vinny. I hope they don't win a game all year. I really feel sorry for the players. They can't say anything publicly or Danny will get rid of them, and I don't know that they really care. I saw an interview with Chris Cooley today and you could just see the pain in his eyes. Good job, Danny.

After 40 years as a loyal fan, I'm done with the Redskins. I've never seen an owner destroy a storied franchise quicker than Dan Snyder and his cronie Vinny. I hope they don't win a game all year. I really feel sorry for the players. They can't say anything publicly or Danny will get rid of them, and I don't know that they really care. I saw an interview with Chris Cooley today and you could just see the pain in his eyes. Good job, Danny.

Very well said. I have been a fan for 30 years and it really is sickening that I feel like I cannot support the team I love because of the pathetic owner. I waited 17 years to get season tickets. I got them about 5 years ago and I am planning on letting them go. I cannot stomach giving financial support to the greedy, incompetent owner danny boy.

:shrug: dunno, man. I hope we get a young HC with some fire in the belly. I wouldn't argue against Josh McDaniels. Who wouldn't want a guy in his 30s or so who headed up an offense that put up about 40 points a game last year?

I'm with you. I don't like anything about this situation, and not even sure I can stomach caring for my team any longer with the idiot owner danny. But I could be swayed back in for a look and see if he is able to land McDaniels.

I am going to start rooting for the Colts, like Peyton, like their Coach and I do not even know who the owner is because he does not f??? with the team. This circus will probably start again next year this time after the team goes 2-14 or 3-13. Then he will try to hire Cowher, makes alot of sense no coach has ever won a super bowl with two different teams.

Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato suck plain and simple, I think Gibbs was pushed out. If Gibbs was such a mentor to Snyderatto respected his advice then GW would have been the new head coach. The new head coach is going to be Fassel because he is the only coach that is desperate enough for the job.

I am going to start rooting for the Colts, like Peyton, like their Coach and I do not even know who the owner is because he does not f??? with the team. This circus will probably start again next year this time after the team goes 2-14 or 3-13. Then he will try to hire Cowher, makes alot of sense no coach has ever won a super bowl with two different teams.

Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato suck plain and simple, I think Gibbs was pushed out. If Gibbs was such a mentor to Snyderatto respected his advice then GW would have been the new head coach. The new head coach is going to be Fassel because he is the only coach that is desperate enough for the job.

We will continue to attract only desperate and money hungry coaches and players. There is no desire to play or coach for this crappy owner. They will only come if danny boy over pays them or nobody else wants them.

:rolleyes: If you are serious...

1. You're a quitter.

2. You're being melodramatic. The Redskins haven't gone 3-13 or worse since 1994, and they won't start again after a playoff season.

:ciao: We dont need the bandwagoners anyway!

Yep, I'll miss being a fan of this team. I'll always have the wonderful memories of those golden years of my youth when we were the standard of excellence.

I don't know what the hell is going on up there, but this is no longer the Washington Redskins. It's the Washington Snyders, and I'm done.

I hope they lose every game from now on. I really look forward to the day Snyder dies so that many of us estranged from this hopelessly dysfunctional mess can consider coming back.

What a dark day.

Archived