Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Zorn and Blache named coordinators

Art

:dallasuck

They have to have a HC picked out already and are just waiting. The HC told them who they wanted and there they are. Hired already so no one else gets them. It's gonna be big too. The don't want to reign on the super bowl so let's wait. I agree on that end. No way is it Fassell. Snyder's a tool but not that bad. I'm thinking Cowher or Carroll.

im starting to agree with you there if it was fassell it would be done. if it was meeks it would be done. if it was anyone but cowher carroll or spags it would be done

ny will probably make a power play to keep spags maybe offer him first right at next hc for the team etc.

that leaves fossil cowher and carroll (whos been quoted as wanting the job)

Fossil said he felt betrayed or used by the skins so that basically takes him out.

That leaves 2 cowher and carroll.

A laughingstock? Maybe that's taking it a bit far. I mean, we're one heck of a lot better off in terms of our front office than the Raiders or the Falcons. They're an absolute mess.

But maybe it's the best thing for Williams and Saunders to be able to seek jobs in other places if they're not going to be promoted to HC - especially Gregg Williams. So many guys were behind him to succeed Gibbs, I shudder to think about the potential locker room fallout that would result.

As for the guys that Dan hired, you can't say that they aren't qualified. Blache has been with the organization for several years. As for Zorn, his specialty is in QB development, which is what we need. One of the things that concerns me is the fact that now Jason Campbell is going to have to go back and learn a new offensive system. If you ever want your QB to develop, you need to give him time in the system. I heard that Zorn's more of a West Coast guy, and I'm not sure that offense is the best fit for the 'Skins.

While I don't like Snyder's decision, you can't extend that to the coaches themselves and call them failures just because you don't like the fact that they're there. Give them a year or two. If they don't do well at that point, you're free to pan them - but not until they prove that they deserve such treatment.

In this release is the answer to all. Just don't know for sure what.

The staff is being filled out through the head coach interview process. Blache is named. Who's Blache worked for/with/around?

Blache began his professional career as defensive line coach for the Indianapolis Colts for five seasons, and held the same position with the Green Bay Packers for six years after breaking into the League in 1988. He began his coaching career as a defensive assistant at his alma mater Notre Dame in 1968 after suffering a leg injury that ended his playing career. Following his graduation in 1971, he stayed on as a graduate assistant and then as an assistant coach for four seasons. In 1976 he joined Tulane’s staff where in various seasons he coached the offensive line, outside linebackers, and defensive backs. He returned to Notre Dame in 1981 to coach the running backs, followed by the defensive line and linebackers. He was defensive line coach for the USFL’s Jacksonville Bulls for 1984-85, before returning to college to coach at Southern University and Kansas for one season each.

My money, therefore, is on Meeks at the moment for no real reason other than Indianapolis and we interviewed Meeks.

Blache worked in Indy under Marchibroda.

Meeks was working in Cincy and Atlanta when Blache was there. There's no connection. Dungy was in Minnesota as a DC and Tampa as an HC at that time.

And there is no connection to Zorn by anyone. This is completely confusing.

How ridiculous are you people. Mr. Snyder knows what he is doing and you all have day jobs that do not pertain to a NFL Football Team Front Office. So, get out of your selfish shell and suck it up! You have no idea what has happened within the last 4 years, except what you have seen on the football field.

The only ridiculous people are the ones taking up for brat danny. danny is the most pathetic and ridiculous owner of anything I have seen. I really wish the fans could stick it to him by not providing any finacial support. This is how you rid yourself of a pathetic owner.

You are right that we have not see alot that goes on behind closed doors, but there is enough out in the open on brat danny to easily sum up that he is a total idiot and cluster****. I run a business and I could easily see many things that danny does that is totally wrong for long term success, much less good business. And let's face it, the Redskins really are nothing but a business to brat danny. It is very obvious that the initial plan was for GW to be HC, but brat danny could not accept GW telling him he was going to pick his own staff and that he would handle the football team. Brat danny would only give this responsibility to someone like JG, or maybe Cowher.

The only way we will get quality players and coaches is by showing them ridiculous money, which does not bode well for our team. And with coaches, I am not too sure that money will pull many of them.

So here's to danny's promise of continuity. He is a total and pathetic idiot, even if they do well next year. I am sick and tired of his selfish, egotistical and greedy ways.

:doh: I cannot believe this. Honestly I seriously thought Dan had learned something from Joe Gibbs. I really felt he and grown as an owner.

It appears the media has been right the whole time on gregs situation and I will bet money that Fassel is the new HC.

It's not that I think fassel is a bad coach. I think he is ok. I think Zorn is good and I think Blache is a good choice.

My issue is in how all of this was handled. It shows Dan's complete lack of respect for common decency for the man who has lead this defense for the last four years. How would anyone deal with a situation like this?

I also blame the media for their completely tactless handling of this. All they have done is inflame the fan base and caused so many loyal skins fans PAIN!!!

however as classless as they have been It does appear that most of what has been reported has been true. If that is the case then it also appears ownership planted the Greg disrespecting gibbs rumor which is beyond belief.

This leads me to believe Redskins management is petty and completely without morals but i can't make myself believe that because this is totally at odds with how he behaved during the Sean Taylor Tragedy.

I am one very disapointed Fan. I expected Dan, Vinnie and the media to handle all of this with class. I guess I expected to much.

Al and Greg,

Best of luck two you both....

Bill

I really liked Greg Williams. I don't get why we would let him go. He had alot of the players morale and support. And his numbers have been well, disregaurding last years Defense performace. Is it possible that since his DC contract is dismissed that Snyder could be looking into give him an HC contract?

Continuity on defense is there at least.

Sounds like they do have a head coach in mind if they are filling out the staff with the intelligence they have heard during that process.

Gotta agree with Tarhog. I'm not sure this is "continuity". I don't know enough about Blache, but it's not like hiring, say, Bubba Tyer as your new DC would be a smart move, even if on some strange level it would be continuity.

It's good in that GW gets to get on with his life. This is a partial decision. But why did Gibbs tell GW to stick around?

Gotta agree with Tarhog. I'm not sure this is "continuity".

Sure it is! It's continuing to build upon what Pretzel Boy and Mini-Dan did from '99-'03 (minus '01, when someone had the sense to fire Mini-Dan) and ignore that pesky Joe Gibbs and what he did to throw them off-schedule for the last four seasons.

The only ridiculous people are the ones taking up for brat danny.

I had to stop reading after that sentence.

You really want people to understand your point of view, and you begin by calling Dan Snyder a brat?

So you run a business. That is wonderful for you and I hope your business suceeds. However, to compare your efforts to running a NFL franschise is rather silly.

Really.

I should point out that in a neutral setting, I would have no problems with Zorn and Blache as coordinators. If Meeks came in here and hired them after a series of interviews, I would be fine.

I just don't understand the process of hiring a staff before you hire a head coach. Any time I've been given a supervisory position, my first move has always been to evaluate my staff and make the changes I felt were necesarry. I would never want a job where I had no say in my staff.

I dont see why evreybody is so upset.

I think these are 2 good coaches.

We need some new Ideas.

Now I dont like the way GW was treated, but sometimes change is good.

It has nothing to do with how good the new coaches are. Go out every year and get the best coaches available, and go and get the best players every year. And see what the results are.

You become a consistent playoff caliber team by having continuity. Not by getting the best coaches or players every year or two.

Piss Poor ownership and management is what is so upsetting. And we can't fire his ***.

I should point out that in a neutral setting' date=' I would have no problems with Zorn and Blache as coordinators. If Meeks came in here and hired them after a series of interviews, I would be fine.

I just don't understand the process of hiring a staff before you hire a head coach. Any time I've been given a supervisory position, my first move has always been to evaluate my staff and make the changes I felt were necesarry. I would never want a job where I had no say in my staff.[/quote']

then maybe it is possible that Snyder could give GW a HC contract?

lol at the people supporting the Blache promotion. We could search the archives and NEVER find anyone talking him up or suggesting he was a good coach. We will find NO ONE saying he should be promoted to DC. We will find NO ONE saying they are worried that another team will come knocking for Blache.

What we WILL find are posts about how piss poor our front 4 performs. We WILL find posts about how the problem with our defense over the last several seasons is that we cannot get consistent pressure and that our DBs can't cover for 5 seconds.

No one was high on Blache and no one says diddly about him. But now we have people who are trying to spin this into a good thing. Please. At some point our fanbase has to say, "Quit crapping on us Snyder." You can't possibly be excited about the hiring of Blache at DC. They guys gets NO INTEREST from any other team (ironically just like our likely head coach candidate Fassel).

What a joke. Blache is a joke. And Snyder just made this team an even bigger joke.

Well don't ****ing root for the team next yr...

So what that noone was talking about Blache to be the DC...Blache has consistantly made chicken salad out of chicken **** with our Dline...He has worked with retreads, and low round draft picks and the line has gotten better every year...Blache is demanding, a motivator, and a good teacher...The D will be fine...

I should point out that in a neutral setting' date=' I would have no problems with Zorn and Blache as coordinators. If Meeks came in here and hired them after a series of interviews, I would be fine.

I just don't understand the process of hiring a staff before you hire a head coach. Any time I've been given a supervisory position, my first move has always been to evaluate my staff and make the changes I felt were necesarry. I would never want a job where I had no say in my staff.[/quote']

MANY jobs have staff in place when the top dog is hired.

Many CEOs.

Always superintendents of schools. On occasion they can bring in additional people, but we are always here first.

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Redskins fired assistants Gregg Williams and Al Saunders on Saturday, promoted Greg Blache to lead the team’s defense and announced that a head coach would likely not be in place for at least another week.

The Redskins also formally announced the hiring of Jim Zorn, who agreed to a three-year deal Friday to lead the offense.

“The process of selecting a new head coach continues, although no hire is planned until after the Super Bowl so as not to distract from the championship game as well as to keep open all our options,” owner Dan Snyder said in a statement, his first public comments on a coaching search that began more than two weeks ago. IBSYS.ad.DartAdStrategy.renderAdBeforeWindowLoad("DartJavaScriptPosition","square",{"abr": "","addlSz": "","adId": "false","adParent": "adsquare","adServer": "http://ad.doubleclick.net","adZone": "","adType": "adj","beginDate": "","dcAdPosition": "","dcopt": "","endDate": "","excludeCategory": "","iframeWidth": "300","keyName": "ibs.dc.sports","name": "square","ord": 0,"pageType": "detail","pTile": "","qString": "","retroQueryString": "","segQS": "","siteLifeUser": "false","sz": "300x250","tile": 1,"useSection": "sports","useId": ""}); [default_img_src]</IMG>

#smabe a:link{color:#ffffff;}#smabe a:visited{height:1px;width:1px;display:block;overflow:hidden;margin:1px;}#smabe{overflow:hidden;height:1px;margin:0;padding:0;}B2663609.17;sz=300x250;ord=1201380508300?

PID_461732_LX_08_LDALaunch_Scenarios_300x250.gif activity;src=1652863;met=1;v=1;pid=24207945;aid=179777026;ko=0;cid=24443317;rid=24461170;rv=1;&timestamp=7011756;eid1=9;ecn1=1;etm1=0;img]  [img]

“We are on track with our interviews,” Snyder added. “But in the interim we also are filling our coaching positions and re-signing several existing staff members.”

Williams’ dismissal removes one of the early favorites to succeed Joe Gibbs, who resigned Jan. 8. Williams had been in charge of the Redskins defense for all four seasons under Gibbs and was popular among fans, but his confrontational style and poor track record at his previous head coaching stint with the Buffalo Bills did little to help his chances for the top job.

Williams met four times with Snyder to discuss the position, but it quickly became clear that the owner was more focused on other candidates, including former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel and current Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Williams told The Washington Post on Friday night that he was considering withdrawing his name from consideration. He and Snyder met Saturday morning to part ways.

A person familiar with the selection process told The Associated Press that the Redskins have granted the St. Louis Rams permission to interview both Williams and Saunders for coordinator positions. The person said the Rams had to seek permission because, even though Williams and Saunders were told they were being dismissed, the team hasn’t formally terminated their contracts. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the subject.

The person also said that Saunders, who ran the offense for the past two seasons, was never a candidate for the head coaching position. Saunders, like Williams, was considered a possible heir-apparent to Gibbs when he arrived in Washington, but he was never able to generate the type of consistent, high-yardage attack he had during his long stint as an offensive coordinator in Kansas City.

Saunders’ fate was sealed when Zorn, the Seattle Seahawks quarterback coach since 2001, agreed to terms on Friday.

A bigger surprise is the promotion of Blache, who has coached the defensive line and has held the title of defensive coordinator -- in name only, because the job was actually Williams’-- since 2004. Blache was previously the actual defensive coordinator for five seasons for the Chicago Bears.

“Greg Blache is an outstanding coach with deep experience. Players respond to him, and his co-workers respect him. He has our full confidence,” Snyder said. “We’re counting on Jim to continue Jason Campbell’s growth, while moving our offense forward.”

The moves mean that the new head coach—whoever he is—will find his top two assistants already in place when he takes over. Snyder expressed confidence in making the moves because both Zorn and Blache were highly regarded by the candidates he has interviewed.

“During our interviews with prospective head coaches we heard time and again how highly respected some of our 2007 assistant coaches were and who they would select to fill out their staffs,” Snyder said. “That intelligence is helping guide our hiring decisions.”

One current assistant whose job seems secure is special teams coach Danny Smith, who praised Zorn in the statement released by the team.

“I’m thrilled to be able to work with him again,” said Smith, who was a coach with Zorn on the Detroit Lions staff in 1999 and 2000.

Meanwhile, Snyder will have to wait until Feb. 4 -- the day after the Super Bowl—for a first chance to interview Spagnuolo and any other assistants working in the championship game. New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is also on Snyder’s list of head coach candidates.

In addition to Fassel, who has met with Snyder on three occasions, the owner has interviewed Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks and Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

----I know that most of you have most likely heard the news by now, but I figured I would just post this particular account of the events in case it provides any new insight or perspective on the event.

I Think its Cowher

Cowher could go to half the teams in the league and obtain total control over personnel if he wanted to. And he ALWAYS had total control of his staff in Pittsburgh. (He went through offensive coordinators at a remarkable clip).

There is no way he is coming here to have Vinny choose his players and Danny choose his staff.

This would lead me to believe the HC will be an experienced offensive guy, specifically with west coast experience. That would balance the coaching situation out a little. The DC, Blanche, is very experienced and has done this before. The OC, Zorn, is getting his first shot at the position and calling plays in the NFL. If I was Snyder, I would look for a HC who has play calling experience with the west coast offense. Just in case.

I haven't really figured out who that is yet, I keep thinking Fassel, but I hope not. I don't believe Snyder when he says he would wait until after the Superbowl to name a coach out of respect for the game, so he must at least want to talk to someone from the game. My theory goes against Spags, but who knows.

Archived