Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC - Redskins to Consider Jim Schwartz (HC candidate)

voicekiller

I would love to have Schwartz come in as either DC, or even HC. This guy has a proven track record with Tennessee, and is fairly local (from Baltimore area). Plus, the Ravens fans would hate our guts for taking him if we get him before they even consider pulling the trigger. I am going to agree with the posters who said this is a smoke-screen. I hear Schwartz isn't a serious candidate in Baltimore, and Atlanta is in limbo. Didn't Marvin Lewis pretty much make a lateral move from Baltimore to DC? And I don't think you'd need permission if you "interview" him for the HC position, then hire him as DC without the "DC" interview. If Williams is HC and Schwartz is DC, then that would be a major coup for us.

At the time I don't think Lewis was under contract. He had a verbal agreement with Modell before Dan swooped in and made him a much bigger offer.

How about the theory that Schwartz might be a candidate to replace GW as DC when everything comes together? I mean, it would probably triple his salary. That would leave GW in a position to further take the reigns that Gibbs handled as team president and head coach. Would that be too far-fetched?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I mean, Schwartz runs a similar D to Williams and was brought in by Williams in Tenn. I would LOVE to see this happen.:2cents:

We could possibly have a situation like in Pittsburgh, where the assistants everyone wanted/expected to take the job was suddenly usurped by some young interviewee that impressed the owner and management.

That said ...:munchout:

I'm a supporter of the hiring of Williams, but I'll say that I'm certainly ready to qualify that by saying that if we can hire an up and comer who's better I'm all for it. Most of the great coaches have been their best at their first jobs - the Belichick's of the world are rare.

Yeah, the chances of a flop are probably greater, but I like that we're looking at a guy like Schwartz as an option. For us, Williams is a safe fall-back who we know we have if we want him. Why not look elsewhere too?

Interesting choice. Since he's far from a big name, he must have a solid rep around the league. We all tend to forget just how hated Gregg Williams was in Buffalo as a head coach. I'm sure this concerns Danny and maybe some other things too. Maybe, just maybe, Danny is thinking Schwartz is a guy who would run the same kind of defense as Williams and allow Saunders and the offensive staff to stay in place -- all while being more suited to the head coaching gig than Williams.

To me, the fact that this guy isn't some big and sexy name shows me Danny may have learned something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinsNatsFan

Could it also be that Schwartz would be interviewed to backfill Williams position if they went with Williams?

[QUOTE=drowland]No, that would be a lateral move for Schwartz. If that was the case the Titans would block it.

GW's job title is not defensive coordinator. Greg Blache is Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line. GW is Assistant Head Coach - Defense.

Why do people hear feel that because the players like GW, he should be hired. We all like continuity but the best candidate should be given the job.

You cant let the players run the asylum

Why do people feel that just because the players give a coach a vote of confidence that they are "running the asylum?" Lame argument.

If you took the time to read the players quotes they have repeatedly said that if you work for him, he'll work for you. They've also said that he will get up in your grill if you make a mistake.

It's not only the defensive players giving props to Gregg, but offensive players and other coaches as well. The guy has a lot of respect from many. A new regime is going to have to earn it.

Ugh, I can't even click the link anymore...he's reverted back to pre-season form again. Om, you nailed it.

I am a diehard supporter of Williams, so it's hard to imagine anyone else being as good a fit right now. It would be nice if Baltimore, Atlanta, and Miami would hurry up and make their choices to help narrow the field. Although I guess they have to wait for at least a while longer to finalize things with Garrett.

Then the Titans would just give him the same title, or make another one up that's cooler like Head Assistant to the Czar of Football

They could, of course then another member of their staff would have to get the Defensive Coordinator title (like Greg Blache has here in Washington) and the paycheck to warrant it.

Archived