Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC - Redskins to Consider Jim Schwartz (HC candidate)

voicekiller

Schwartz, who replaced Gregg Williams as the leader of the Tennessee defense, has been identified as a candidate for the Redskins coaching vacancy, league sources said, and is expected to interview for the position this week, possibly as soon as today.

Schwartz is a Baltimore native who recently interviewed for the Ravens job as well. Several NFL sources said that they took the identification of Schwartz as a candidate as another sign that Williams, who the players strongly support, does not appear to be the front runner. Williams actually helped break in Schwartz as a young coach on Jeff Fisher's staff.

Schwartz has annually had a strong defense with the Titans and began his career in the Cleveland/Baltimore organization.

Bill Cowher, a CBS analyst, has continued to tell associates that he has no plans to end his two-year hiatus. Some league sources have suggested Seattle defensive backs coach Jim Mora, a former head coach in Atlanta, as a possibility for the Redskins as well at some point, but the Seahwaks are still in the playoffs and he can not be contacted at this time.

Other available coaches with prior head coaching experience include Brian BIllick and Marty Schottenheimer, but the Redskins are not expected to go that route at this point, though things could change. Williams is seen as the top in house candidate, but sources who have been in contact with members of Washington's existing coaching staff say that none of those coaches has been given any indication that they are in line for the opening at this point.

The agent for one of Washington's coaches said that he believes that the Redskins would have given the staff some hint by now that the top candidate is already within the building by now if that were the case

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

edit: title

How about the theory that Schwartz might be a candidate to replace GW as DC when everything comes together? I mean, it would probably triple his salary. That would leave GW in a position to further take the reigns that Gibbs handled as team president and head coach. Would that be too far-fetched?

How about the theory that Schwartz might be a candidate to replace GW as DC when everything comes together? I mean, it would probably triple his salary. That would leave GW in a position to further take the reigns that Gibbs handled as team president and head coach. Would that be too far-fetched?

In theory, I don't think so, but if that was the case then wouldn't Tennessee have to give us permission to talk to him since it would be a lateral move? And if that permission was given, I would have thought we would have heard about it already.

If true, then I think it definitely means Snyder is not enthralled with Williams. After all, why go after a defensive coach if you have any thoughts of retaining him in any capacity?
Schwartz, who replaced Gregg Williams as the leader of the Tennessee defense, has been identified as a candidate for the Redskins coaching vacancy, league sources said, and is expected to interview for the position this week, possibly as soon as today.

Schwartz is a Baltimore native who recently interviewed for the Ravens job as well. Several NFL sources said that they took the identification of Schwartz as a candidate as another sign that Williams, who the players strongly support, does not appear to be the front runner. Williams actually helped break in Schwartz as a young coach on Jeff Fisher's staff.

Consider this:

If GW does become head coach, we'll still need a defensive coordinator. And wouldn't it make the most sense that it be someone familiar with GW's schemes and philosophy? Someone who GW knows he can work with?

This could be nothing but a smokescreen for what is actually a defensive coordinator interview.

**edit** okay, Arrowhead beat me to the punch, but anyway the answer is no, Tenn would not have to give us permission because it is officially a head coaching interview ;)

The problem with that theory is usually the head coach interviews and makes those decisions. Plus, I doubt that Schwartz would come over in a lateral move.

Archived