Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happens to ST's locker? *Updated*

Burgundy&Gold4Ever

Every statement I've heard the Redskins make has said that the Redskins will leave Sean's locker encased in glass for the rest of the season. Now that the season is over :( , are they going to remove the contents of his locker? I'd like to see them leave it encased in glass forever. Let every player ever playing for the Redskins see his locker and learn about ST (obviously current players know about him, but I'm talking about future generations). If his family wants his locker contents, then forget this and give it to them.

The Yankees are like the Celtics. They retire EVERY number.

If you hit an RBI single in the World Series for the Yankees' date=' your number is probably retired.[/quote']

I hate the "Yankess"(morons) almost as much as I hate Dallas, but you can't deny that thay have had an absolute crap load of amazing players

I'm guessing they would eventually clean it out. I don't know how the lockers are set up in there, and if there are extra ones, but I'm guessing there probably aren't too much, and they may have to make room, eventually. I do believe though, that the Sean Taylor sign in FedEx field is there to stay. I kind of have the feeling that they may "officially" retire #21. I'm not sure if that any future players would ever feel right wearing that number.

The Yankees are like the Celtics. They retire EVERY number.

If you hit an RBI single in the World Series for the Yankees' date=' your number is probably retired.[/quote']

UNC is the same way. You score double digits in a game and they're ready to hang your jersey the next home game.

I think they should leave it there as long as FedEx is still standing.

I think they should move the locker, the whole things, into whatever future stadiums we go to. It'll serve as a reminder to future players to be humble and that way future players will know the legacy of Taylor.

• 2 years later...

Here's a relevant bump:

(Hap just posted this in the Breaking News section, but I think it warrants some discussion here)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/remembering-21/sean-taylors-locker-to-go-on-d.html#more

"Two and a half years after Sean Taylor's death, the locker room memorial for one of the Redskins' most beloved players is being removed from Redskins Park. The locker will reappear before the start of the season at FedEx Field, situated in the club level and open for public viewing.

The locker had been mostly untouched since Taylor's death on Nov. 27, 2007, but it is no longer present in the locker room. In its place, wood paneling temporarily covers the empty space. A new locker is expected to be installed soon and a new player will occupy Taylor's old place in the locker room.

The decision to move the locker was surely a difficult one for the team's new leaders. On the one hand, everyone in the organization is eager to begin a new chapter and start anew after a couple of frustrating seasons. On the other, Taylor's death rocked the franchise -- from players to fans -- and his preserved locker was a very visible way for the team to honor his memory."

Click the link for more:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/remembering-21/sean-taylors-locker-to-go-on-d.html#more

Personally, I think it's a good solution. 2010 will see a very different Redskins team. And although Sean Taylor is an important part of Redskins history, his locker should be separated from where the current players prepare. It's time to move on, while still keeping him in our memory.

Does this mean the locker would be on the club level during the draft day party?

From what the article says, I'd say no.

At some point between the team's April 24 draft party and the start of the season, the locker will be moved to the Club A tower of FedEx Field.

:cheers:

Why the club level?? Put it where it's accessible to all.

Yeah let's put it up in the 400level next to the bathroom and the beer vendor. That way it can not only be exposed to the elements, but also vomit, piss and puke.

The club level at fedex is the only suitable location aside from team headquarters.

Personally, I think it's a good solution. 2010 will see a very different Redskins team. And although Sean Taylor is an important part of Redskins history, his locker should be separated from where the current players prepare. It's time to move on, while still keeping him in our memory.

I completely agree. The franchise should keep his memory alive, however the team must move on.

:cheers:

Yeah let's put it up in the 400level next to the bathroom and the beer vendor. That way it can not only be exposed to the elements, but also vomit, piss and puke.

The club level at fedex is the only suitable location aside from team headquarters.

Other than the elements I really don't see the difference.

ugh not sure how i feel.

I want it in the locker room forever - but I can also see how that could be distracting and counter productive, especially while those that actually knew him are still on the team.

I guess as long as its honored somewhere, its a good solution.

Not so sure I'd want to be the guy who draws that space when its a regular locker...

Archived