Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2010/01/usadas_travis_tygart_current_d.html

Sorry but the current testing might as well be a asking the fighters to pinkie swear that they didn't cheat. Haven't we gone through this with baseball?

The first quote is about urine testing, and Pacquiao had already agreed to blood testing.

The second quote basically says that the dispute between Pacquiao and Mayweather was a on a point that didn't really matter (14 days vs. 24 days). As I understood it, there was random testing before the blackout period.

...none of those quotes seem to raise a lot of concerns about what Pacquiao had agreed to. :whoknows:

Right, he's agreed to blood test before and after, just simply not before the fight that day, but after the fight.

Tygart is good for a quote, but he's not a doctor as far as I'm aware, simply the CEO of a non-profit corporation. While I agree that the USADA does have a better testing program than the NSAC, they're far from perfect.

The first quote is about urine testing, and Pacquiao had already agreed to blood testing.

The second quote basically says that the dispute between Pacquiao and Mayweather was a on a point that didn't really matter (14 days vs. 24 days). As I understood it, there was random testing before the blackout period.

...none of those quotes seem to raise a lot of concerns about what Pacquiao had agreed to. :whoknows:

You are clearly reading it differently than I am. He's asked point blank what difference 24 days can make and he responds "The human growth hormone for sure, levels of testosterone, and other designer steroids." He does say the months leading up to the fight are more important but he very clearly states 24 days is long enough to make a difference in the fight.

Frankly I wish every sport would just adopt the strongest tests (within reason) available. Cheating in sports doesn't benefit anyone including the athletes that end up passing away far too early in life.

Edited by Destino

To be honest it seems like Tygart has an agenda for the USADA to take over all drug testing for athletics in the US and anyone involved to be subject to their rules and guidelines at all times. (They are not a government agency).

He's not worried about the three weeks before the fight, he's worried about what happens before then? How far before then? He doesn't really say (edit: 2 months is mentioned), perhaps I'm making too much of an assumption, but if the three weeks leading up isn't good enough, then it's going to be months and months before a fight. Following that logic you almost have to have access to a fighter year-round.

I'm fine with stricter testing than Nevada currently has, but how far do you take it?

Edited by Unforgiven

You are clearly reading it differently than I am. He's asked point blank what difference 24 days can make and he responds "The human growth hormone for sure, levels of testosterone, and other designer steroids." He does say the months leading up to the fight are more important but he very clearly states 24 days is long enough to make a difference in the fight.
He's asked what you can do in 24 days, but he doesn't say whether or not you could do the same thing in 14 days. Actually, later on the interview, he says that you could get HGH out of your system in 14 days.
Q: What about blood testing? Could I mask it then?

A: "For transfusions, the 14 days is not going to give you much concern. The evidence of the transfusion will stay in your system longer than the 14 days. But the human growth hormone, for sure not."

I don't see how that's really going to help though. You're going to take one dose of HGH that is then out of your system by fight day? Keep in mind that you also have to make weight. Is that single dose of HGH really going to make you a better fighter?

Maybe the interviewer just didn't really ask the right questions, but I still don't see what the difference was between 24 and 14 days. It always just seemed like neither fighter really wanted the fight, and they were just posturing and measuring egos.

Frankly I wish every sport would just adopt the strongest tests (within reason) available. Cheating in sports doesn't benefit anyone including the athletes that end up passing away far too early in life.
Sure, I agree that boxing commissions should just adopt tougher standards, but that's not the situation we have here.

What we have is two athletes measuring egos against each other, and at this point, if Pacquiao agrees to the testing, he is just caving to Mayweather's demands, and he is admitting that Mayweather's accusations have some truth to them. I don't see that happening unless the rules are set by a third party.

Edited by DjTj

Floyd needs to stop with this nonsense and just fight Pac. I'll add that anybody who buys this notion that Floyd is some kind of ambassador to clean up the sport of boxing is a fool. Heck, for $40-$50 million, why is he so hell bent on testing Pac considering there's never been any rumors about Pac taking steroids? He NEVER did this to any other opponant until he was about to face Pac. Anybody who backs Floyd, please tell me why.

If Floyd's as good as he claims, and he is good, he'll beat him steroids or not. This fight needs to happen and if it don't because of some drug testing issue started by Floyd, don't go blaiming Pac. Pac DOES NOT, AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO, bend over backwards just to suite Floyd.

EDIT: Floyd did whoop Mosley's ass. I'll give him that.

Edited by blue collar

Mayweather is smart for demanding it, heavy (and arguably HEAVIER) hands as you move up in weight classes is a red flag. t.

I'll admit to only casually following boxing, but shouldn't you be hitting harder when you move up weight classes? It's not like Manny put on 20lbs of fat...

Mayweather is smart for demanding it, heavy (and arguably HEAVIER) hands as you move up in weight classes is a red flag. Fair or not the world after McGuire and Bonds is different. Boxing is no exception to the rule (and indeed is far more corrupt). Manny needs to take the test or the calls for an asterisk next to his name will start to be heard.

That's BS. So Pac should have an asterisk next to his name because he wouldn't take the blood test Floyd wanted him to? Even though there's absolutely nothing to suggest he ever took anything. OK, should we put asterisk next to Felix Trinidad or Thomas Hearns name considering they took their power up in weight bigger weight classes?

Edited by blue collar

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/mayweather-mosley-speak-44685#more-44685

Quotes from after the fight:

Floyd Mayweather: “If Manny Pacquaio wants to fight, it is not hard to find me. We were going to make the fight a couple of months back but it didn’t happen. I take my hat off to Mosley. He had problems in the past but he’s a warrior. He took the blood and urine tests. I just want everyone to be on an even playing field. If every athlete is clean in the sport of boxing, take the test. If Manny Pacquaio takes the blood and urine tests, we can fight. If he doesn’t, we won’t make the fight.

“Here was another tremendous fight, another tremendous turn out.

“There was a point to prove; to see who was the best welterweight out there.

“Do I have to fight? No I don’t have to fight, absolutely not. I truly believe the numbers we did are unbelievable.

“I always say, put them in front of me, I’ll beat them.

“My dad, Roger and I have chemistry. The game plan was unbelievable. I looked back at my dad and he’s telling me something. I looked back at Roger and he’s telling me the same thing.

“I’ve got the will to win under the lights, but we all don’t form under the lights the same.

“After a while I think Mosley went into survival mode. All he was trying to do was survive.

“Every fight is different, every fighter is different. Everyone was talking about how Mosley is stronger, how Mosley is faster. I rocked him more than he rocked me.

“At one point I thought he was going to cough it up, but he held on valiantly.

“I’ve been dominating fighters since the 90s, but I always say I’m closer to 40 than I am to 21. I’m not chasing fighters.

“Even with the second round, I knew I was the strongest guy form the beginning. Every fighter is totally different.

“Mentally in the fight I was talking to him. Telling him ‘Your jab isn’t faster than mine; if it is let me see.’

“Over the years, when I’m at home, I never study an opponent. They are going to be totally different in the ring.

“I believe that it’s not bragging or boasting if you can back it up.

“The ultimate goal it to try to find a fighter than can beat me. There’s a lot of young tough fighters out there that I take my hat off to, that I want to see do well.

“As of right now we just want to go home, reevaluate a few things, and see what we come up with. As of right now I just want to spend some time with my family.

“I’m here to just fight the best that’s out there and be the best you can be.

“Zab Judah hit me with a better shot and DeMarcus ‘Chop Chop’ Corley hit me with a better shot.

“I think he tried, but it’s just me being able to show my versatility to adapt and adjust. My game plan was going to work, break him down in every way.

“I think a lot of people are surprised. I just believe in myself, these types of things happen in big fights.”

Sugar Shane Mosley: “I tried, it was a good fight, it was that close. He’s a hell of a fighter. He’s a great fighter. He did what he needed to do to win the fight.

“I tip my hat to him. I thank him for taking the challenge.

“He was hurt real bad when I hit him with that shot.

“I think after I caught him with that big right hand I opened up to much and played into his hands. I was too tight. When I hit him with the big right hand, I thought I was going to get the knockout.

“He started to avoid the punches. He did surprise me. Once I tried to get my timing back, I couldn’t adjust and he did. I am happy I took the fight. He is a true champion. Now you will see him and Manny, if Manny takes the blood test.

“I will go back home and look at the tape, take it slow when I get home and we’ll see what happens.”

Roger Mayweather, Mayweather’s Trainer: “Mosley has very fast hands, but he doesn’t have a jab. He had tremendous hand speed, but it means nothing if you cant hit the target. You’ve got to be able to hit the target. Mosley is fast if he fights somebody slow, but it’s different if it’s somebody faster….He (Mayweather) boxed his ass off, and the fight wasn’t even close.”

Naazim Richardson, Mosley’s Trainer: “It was a great ride the outcome wasn’t what we anticipated. I just got back from cursing out Shane. He was mad, saying that he didn’t listen to his trainer and that he didn’t follow his training. I had to tell him no one talks badly about my fighter, not even him. Floyd Mayweather is special. He’s trained by special people. Nothing I saw surprised me. That fireball hit us, when that fireball hit us, our heads got kind of hot in there.”

Oscar De La Hoya, President Of Golden Boy Promotions: “We have to really respect what we have just witnessed. The best boxer on the planet is Mayweather, in my mind, in Mosley’s mind, in everybody’s mind. He is the best. Tonight convinced me that he is the best

“He has the talent, he has the work ethic and people all over the world are become fans.

“He fought Shane Mosely, which was supposed to be the most dangerous fight of his career, and he showed us why he is the best.

“Mayweather can decide who he wants to fight now. He can decide who, when and where.

“Mayweather is on he is on a different level because he a student of the game he will dissect you outside the ring and finish you inside the ring

“Special boxers like Mayweather, we talk about them forever.

“He showed me true greatness because I felt that he was going to go down. That he was not going to be able handle Mosley’s punch. It just shows you Mayweather is the real deal. I am a firm believer Mayweather is the best we have.”

Richard Schaefer, CEO Of Golden Boy Promotions: “Great crowd, it really is Las Vegas and many stars showed up. That is what Las Vegas brings, the glitz and the glamour. When the fight started people were yelling Mosley because there were a lot of haters, in the end, they were yelling ‘Money’ Mayweather. It was certainly a big night for Money Mayweather. Its going to be big, big pay-per-view numbers, that I can assure you.”

That was a VERY GOOD DISPLAY of the sweet science. Hit and not get hit. If you enjoy boxing, you should have loved that fight. Floyd did get rocked in the 2nd round, but after that it was over. Mosley simply got outboxed.

Floyd showed the world why he is the best. Plenty of folks thought he would be very defensive and jab, counterpunch and run. He took the fight to Mosley and that surprised a lot of folks. He got Mosley out of his gameplan and he eventually lost his confidence.

For the Manny Pacquiao fans out there, do you really think he'll beat Floyd? SERIOUSLY??? Manny would get his ears boxed off. I doubt he would make it past 8-9 rounds. When the fight happens later this year, we'll see. THERE IS TOO MUCH MONEY TO BE MADE BY BOTH FIGHTERS TO LET THIS DRUG TEST ISSUE STOP US FROM SEEING THIS FIGHT. Hopefully, they'll get their stuff together and come to an agreement. But I'll gladly pay the $65 to see it.

Another thing I'll like to point out in last nights fight. Was it me or was Mosley trying to hard to be Floyd's friend? He was constantly trying to touch gloves and he got popped in the mouth while talking to Floyd.

Edited by blue collar

Floyd would rock Manny in 7 rounds.

No question

manny would have to become an entirely different fighter to beat floyd IMO. being aggressive against floyd is suicide. Manny's best attribute is that his punches come from every conceivable angle imaginable, but i'm not sure thats enough to penetrate Mayweather's defense

mayweather's an arrogant *******, but his boxing mind is as sharp as anybody who has ever put on a pair of gloves. there is not a fighter in the game today (and few historically), who make in fight adjustments as well as Mayweather.

last night Mosley looked good for 2 rounds, then was effectively shutout for the remaining 10. the same thing happened when he fought Zab Judah. Judah won the first 3 or 4 rounds, then didnt come close to winning another round.

the only opponent Floyd has to worry about is Father Time.

manny would have to become an entirely different fighter to beat floyd IMO. being aggressive against floyd is suicide. Manny's best attribute is that his punches come from every conceivable angle imaginable, but i'm not sure thats enough to penetrate Mayweather's defense

mayweather's an arrogant *******, but his boxing mind is as sharp as anybody who has ever put on a pair of gloves. there is not a fighter in the game today (and few historically), who make in fight adjustments as well as Mayweather.

last night Mosley looked good for 2 rounds, then was effectively shutout for the remaining 10. the same thing happened when he fought Zab Judah. Judah won the first 3 or 4 rounds, then didnt come close to winning another round.

the only opponent Floyd has to worry about is Father Time.

All truth. He's so good he's killing his sport. Great fighters look lame in front of him.

Well if Floyd's so good, then why don't he drop his steroid crusade against Pac? I've seen it before, Floyd is gonna play these head games until he sees Pac get beat or/and loses a step and then he'll fight him. Kind of like what Leonard did with Hagler.

That was a VERY GOOD DISPLAY of the sweet science. Hit and not get hit. If you enjoy boxing, you should have loved that fight. Floyd did get rocked in the 2nd round, but after that it was over. Mosley simply got outboxed.

Floyd showed the world why he is the best. Plenty of folks thought he would be very defensive and jab, counterpunch and run. He took the fight to Mosley and that surprised a lot of folks. He got Mosley out of his gameplan and he eventually lost his confidence.

For the Manny Pacquiao fans out there, do you really think he'll beat Floyd? SERIOUSLY??? Manny would get his ears boxed off. I doubt he would make it past 8-9 rounds. When the fight happens later this year, we'll see. THERE IS TOO MUCH MONEY TO BE MADE BY BOTH FIGHTERS TO LET THIS DRUG TEST ISSUE STOP US FROM SEEING THIS FIGHT. Hopefully, they'll get their stuff together and come to an agreement. But I'll gladly pay the $65 to see it.

Agreed, Shane stylistically had a much better shot againest Floyd then Manny will... Manny will play right into Floyds hands and when the counters and jab start popping him will Manny continue to throw??

Floyd makes good fighters look like bums..

I'll admit to only casually following boxing' date=' but shouldn't you be hitting harder when you move up weight classes? It's not like Manny put on 20lbs of fat...[/quote']

I think he means "heavier" in the relative sense. You wouldn't expect a flyweight to move up to middleweight and be able to have the same impact with his punches against the bigger fighters.

I think a big difference between Pacquaio and Mosley would be age. Pacquaio seems like he's just as quick in the later rounds as he is at the start. Mosely was clearly wearing down, and it wasn't just because of the punches he took.

Edited by jnhay

He is already tested before and after the fight.

This whole thing was a non-issue until six months ago when Mayweather Sr. who has no proof started this.

Again back the original point of that why should Mayweather get to dictate terms that go outside the testing of the athletic commission with no proof? Mosley agreed to it of course because it's a big payday for him and he would have jumped through whatever hoops he had to. Manny doesn't need Mayweather to make big $$$.

I want to see the fight as much as anyone, and I would be fine if Manny just said "ok sure, I'll do this" but I can also see his point and why he already threatened to sue Mayweather for defamation because the guy calling him a cheater without any proof other than he's a really powerful puncher for his weight.

Why wouldn't Manny agree to it if he has nothing to hide? What's the big deal, Mayweather would be taking the exact same tests, and he's willing to. If Mayweather has questions or conerns and feels he wants the tests to be sure they're on an even playing field, then I don't blame him at all. By Manny not taking the tests, that says something in itself, on a few levels.