Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

He'd kill Cotto. Cotto's not nearly fast enough to avoid Floyd's punches.

I don't think anyone is fast enough to avoid Floyd's punches, but Floyd doesn't have the punching volume/power that has beaten Cotto in the past.

If Cotto came in and stuck to the game plan of applying pressure, cutting off the ring, and going to the body early...he could have a puncher's chance.

I'd much rather see Cotto-Mayweather than Martinez-Mayweather.

Cotto (to me) is the top person who could mimic Oscar's fight techniques against Mayweather. If someone with more in their tank can do what Oscar did, they might be able to beat him.

You need a bigger/stronger guy to do it.

Fast aint gonna happen...the only fast fighter who had a shot at beating him just got his tail handed to him on Saturday night.

I don't think anyone is fast enough to avoid Floyd's punches, but Floyd doesn't have the punching volume/power that has beaten Cotto in the past.

If Cotto came in and stuck to the game plan of applying pressure, cutting off the ring, and going to the body early...he could have a puncher's chance.

I'd much rather see Cotto-Mayweather than Martinez-Mayweather.

Cotto (to me) is the top person who could mimic Oscar's fight techniques against Mayweather. If someone with more in their tank can do what Oscar did, they might be able to beat him.

You need a bigger/stronger guy to do it.

Fast aint gonna happen...the only fast fighter who had a shot at beating him just got his tail handed to him on Saturday night.

You're talking about the same Cotto who got destroyed by Manny? And again, you're underestimating Manny.

You're talking about the same Cotto who got destroyed by Manny? And again, you're underestimating Manny.

You aren't looking at the Match ups.....you absolutely have take styles and match ups in considerations when speaking about boxing.

Cotto is a large welterweight power puncher. Manny is a small Welterweight who overwhelms his opponent with smothering offense and volume of punches.

I believe it is going to take a bigger stronger fighter (who also has some boxing skills) to cut of the ring and force mayweather to trade.

I don't think Manny would be able to "bully" Mayweather and force him to fight his fight.

Manny was able to beat Cotto because he knocked him down early (Cotto doesn't have much of a chin and as soon as he is knocked down..he goes into shell shock mode and abandons his game plan)

Floyd isn't a big knock out threat, he is more of a finesse boxer and likely wouldn't knock Cotto down early on.

You aren't looking at the Match ups.....you absolutely have take styles and match ups in considerations when speaking about boxing.

Cotto is a large welterweight power puncher. Manny is a small Welterweight who overwhelms his opponent with smothering offense and volume of punches.

I believe it is going to take a bigger stronger fighter (who also has some boxing skills) to cut of the ring and force mayweather to trade.

I don't think Manny would be able to "bully" Mayweather and force him to fight his fight.

Manny was able to beat Cotto because he knocked him down early (Cotto doesn't have much of a chin and as soon as he is knocked down..he goes into shell shock mode and abandons his game plan)

Floyd isn't a big knock out threat, he is more of a finesse boxer and likely wouldn't knock Cotto down early on.

A lot of people pretty much said the exact same thing about Mosley. Yeah, he was the bigger, stronger, harder puncher, gonna apply all this pressure. Yeah, I drunk the kool-aid too. We see what happened. And I do believe Floyd can knock him out. If not, he'll stop him in the middle/late rounds.

Edited by blue collar

A lot of people pretty much said the exact same thing about Mosley. Yeah, he was the bigger, stronger, harder puncher, gonna apply all this pressure. Yeah, I drunk the kool-aid too. We see what happened. And I do believe Floyd can knock him out. If not, he'll stop him in the middle/late rounds.

problem was....Mosley didn't end up being the bigger/stronger guy. Mayweather looked Bigger, stronger, and in much better shape. Mosley ran out of gas after two or three rounds.

Judging by the past, you know Cotto would be the bigger, stronger guy and would come into the match in shape.

I'm in no way saying Cotto would beat Floyd, but I think he is the best opponent to put up against Floyd out of the pool of possible opponents.

problem was....Mosley didn't end up being the bigger/stronger guy. Mayweather looked Bigger, stronger, and in much better shape. Mosley ran out of gas after two or three rounds.

Judging by the past, you know Cotto would be the bigger, stronger guy and would come into the match in shape.

I'm in no way saying Cotto would beat Floyd, but I think he is the best opponent to put up against Floyd out of the pool of possible opponents.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I see that being a one sided fight. If he couldn't handle the speed of Pac, what makes you think he'll handle the speed of Floyd?

We'll have to agree to disagree because I see that being a one sided fight. If he couldn't handle the speed of Pac, what makes you think he'll handle the speed of Floyd?

wasn't the speed...it was the knock down in the early stages of the fight that killed it for him. Cotto was winning that fight early until he got knocked down...that is where the tide changed.

Pacquiao and Mayweather use their speed differently.

not quite

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/5/4/1457150/arum-refutes-quote-claiming-that

Ronnie Nathanielsz reports that Top Rank promoter Bob Arum says the Manny Pacquiao quotes from yesterday were fake, and that the fighter has not decided to soften his stance when it comes to drug testing to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. later this year.

Nathanielsz says that Arum stated their side would hold firm on no less than 24 days for the final random testing before any possible fight with Mayweather. They also won't budge on the previously agreed-upon 50-50 split.

on another note, an injury has caused Marcos Maidana to pull out of his fight Tim Bradley in July. Devon Alexander has already said he's available and wants Bradley to accept that fight

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/05/04/devon-alexander-to-tim-bradley-stop-being-a-chicken/

Let me tell you, it's up to Tim Bradley. Tim Bradley knows what I want to do. He knows me from the amateurs. I feel that he thinks that he's going to lose, so that he wants to cash out when he fights me. He keeps saying that he wants a mega fight with me, and all of that type of stuff.

But he keeps on passing me up. I don't care who I fight. I can change it up and do whatever, so, I'm ready for whoever. But Bradley keeps saying that he wants to wait and all of that stuff. What are you waiting for? Why don't we just go in there and settle the score and give the fans what they want?

imo, Bradley/Alexander is the best fight can be made at 140lbs right now. i hope it happens

Edited by StillUnknown

imo, Bradley/Alexander is the best fight can be made at 140lbs right now. i hope it happens

I agree....I'd LOVE to see this fight. Would probably be fight of the year and should be on HBO rather than pay per view.

Who do you have in this fight still? I really like Alexander...think he has a very bright future, but it would be hard to pick against Bradley. I'd definitely be rooting for Alexander. Not sure who I'd chose in the fight....but all my picks have been trash as of late...so I'm going to pick Bradley.

I still want to hear it from Manny. ESPN quoted Manny as saying he'd agree to 14 days before the fight. I swear, if Arum stands in the way of this fight, he'll go down as being more of a cancer to the sport as King was.

easy fix to this problem would be to have a new sanctioning body involved, have them implement a blood test a week before the fight and the day after the fight. If any fighter fails the blood test for illegal steroids they are banned for life. Get the media behind it and recognize this sanctioning body as the undisputed champ. have a super confusing "BCS" type system determine the rankings of the boxers based on record, strength of opponents, a sports writer poll, and a fan poll.

how epic would it be for Pac to knock out Mayweather? Jeez, that would be up there with James Douglas knocking out Tyson and Holmes getting a TKO on ALI.

biggest hyped fight since Hoya vs Trinidad in 99.

What I'm going to hate is all the prefight bull and all the casual fans trying to talk boxing like they know something.

I really do hope its a good fight, Boxing really needs this

how epic would it be for Pac to knock out Mayweather? Jeez, that would be up there with James Douglas knocking out Tyson and Holmes getting a TKO on ALI.

biggest hyped fight since Hoya vs Trinidad in 99.

What I'm going to hate is all the prefight bull and all the casual fans trying to talk boxing like they know something.

I really do hope its a good fight, Boxing really needs this

Well, if Pac beats Floyd, it wouldn't be nearly the upset of Douglas over Tyson and Ali was way past his prime when Holmes beat him.

But I hear you on the casual fans talking boxing as if they know what they're talking about. Just this past weekend, you should have seen all of the people that came out of the woodworks to see Mosley/Mayweather at my house. Normally it's just the 3 of us, this weekend it was 8. And of course, the other 5 were Mayweather fans who I believe have NEVER seen Pacquiao box.

I agree....I'd LOVE to see this fight. Would probably be fight of the year and should be on HBO rather than pay per view.

Who do you have in this fight still? I really like Alexander...think he has a very bright future, but it would be hard to pick against Bradley. I'd definitely be rooting for Alexander. Not sure who I'd chose in the fight....but all my picks have been trash as of late...so I'm going to pick Bradley.

i love Alexander's game (he's one of my 3 favorite fighters, along with Punisher & Gamboa)

i agree with you though, i'd favor Bradley if they meet. Bradley has improved each time out and i think his experience would carry him to a very close decision victory

it wouldn't shock me at all if Alexander beat him though. Alexander has a unique skill set, and i think he'll be near the top of the pound 4 pound list during the prime of his career.

Well, if Pac beats Floyd, it wouldn't be nearly the upset of Douglas over Tyson and Ali was way past his prime when Holmes beat him.

But I hear you on the casual fans talking boxing as if they know what they're talking about. Just this past weekend, you should have seen all of the people that came out of the woodworks to see Mosley/Mayweather at my house. Normally it's just the 3 of us, this weekend it was 8. And of course, the other 5 were Mayweather fans who I believe have NEVER seen Pacquiao box.

Its going to be hard to guage this fight. I'm a Mayweather fan but I'm giving the edge to Pac. I really want an epic fight and it becomes a new rivalry like Barrera vs. Morales or gatti vs ward. I don't think anything will come close to the gatti vs ward fights IMO those were war. Gatti must of lost a couple pints of blood in the first two fights.

I've been a fan of boxing since I was a baby, the first sport I watched was boxing, way before I got into football. We usually rotate houses with fights and make it a family thing. I don't know if this happens to you but Everyone is all hyped about the fight at nine and even watch the first prefight card. Then fall asleep for the next two fights and then are up for the main fight.

We'll probably see it at my uncle's house he has the biggest TV and better food. I can't wait.

Edited by Soup

check out my "8 fights that need to happen within the year" thread in the tailgate. I would have posted it in here...but I wanted to get more traffic than the usual suspects in here. tell me what you all think. Who would win the fights? What fights am I missing?

Its going to be hard to guage this fight. I'm a Mayweather fan but I'm giving the edge to Pac. I really want an epic fight and it becomes a new rivalry like Barrera vs. Morales or gatti vs ward. I don't think anything will come close to the gatti vs ward fights IMO those were war. Gatti must of lost a couple pints of blood in the first two fights.

I've been a fan of boxing since I was a baby, the first sport I watched was boxing, way before I got into football. We usually rotate houses with fights and make it a family thing. I don't know if this happens to you but Everyone is all hyped about the fight at nine and even watch the first prefight card. Then fall asleep for the next two fights and then are up for the main fight.

We'll probably see it at my uncle's house he has the biggest TV and better food. I can't wait.

Floyd will never be involved in a Gatti/Ward like fight, his defense & countering is too good.

honestly i put Corrales/Castillo way above Gatti/Ward. it was just as violent, but fought at a much higher skill level.

no disrespect at all to Gatti or Ward, but they will never be known as skilled tacticians

Floyd will never be involved in a Gatti/Ward like fight, his defense & countering is too good.

honestly i put Corrales/Castillo way above Gatti/Ward. it was just as violent, but fought at a much higher skill level.

no disrespect at all to Gatti or Ward, but they will never be known as skilled tacticians

Corrales/Castillo I was the best fight I've ever seen.

Unfortunately the 2nd fight didn't live up to the hype and there wasn't a 3rd....so I'd have to give the best overall to Gatti/Ward