Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

For those not watching UFC 117, there is a good night of boxing on HBO tonight. Devon Alexander versus Andriy Kotelnik and Glen Johnson vs Tavoris Cloud. I got Alexander with TKO in 10 and Cloud with UD.

i see it the same way, although i expect the Cloud/Johnson fight to be close.

if Alexander wins, he's fighting Bradley in late Jan.

It was a Leonard/Hagler thing. They gave the decision to the busier guy, not the one that landed the harder more effective punches.

I thought it was close just because Alexander was so busy and he did get in some good shots. Kotelnik was definitely the more accurate puncher though.

alexander was busy, but he rarely landed anything clean. his gameplan was flawed and he did not adjust. the overwhelming of his "connects" landed on Kotelniks gloves and arms. i won't go as far as to call it a robbery, but it was a bad decision

on a sidenote: http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/08/01/sergio-martinez-paul-williams-likely-for-atlantic-city-oct-2/

LAS VEGAS -- Argentinian-born WBC middleweight (160 pounds) champion Sergio Martinez is all but signed and sealed to defend his crown against fellow southpaw Paul Williams in Atlantic City, site of their first clash in December won by Williams via disputed majority decision in bout where both fighters were down in the first round.

Sampson Lewkowicz, a business manager for Martinez, told FanHouse that their rematch "had some final details to be worked out" but it was almost done. It is a matchup that had been being pushed for by HBO President of Sports, Ross Greenburg.

Since their last fight, the 35-year-old Martinez dethroned WBC and WBO king Kelly Pavlik in April, his 12-round unanimous decision raising his mark to 45-2-2, with 24 knockouts. Martinez has since been stripped of the WBO middleweight crown, as well as the WBC junior middleweight (154 pounds) title.

Williams (39-1, 27 KOs), meanwhile, is coming off of May's disappointing, four-round junior middleweight technical decision victory over former two-time world champion Kermit Cintron.

One of the sticking points that had delayed a potential rematch with Martinez was the fact that Williams had been pushing for a return to the welterweight (147 pounds) class, where he won two of the three world titles he has held.

Kotelnik should have won the fight. Worse case scenario, it should have been a draw. He landed the harder more accurate shots and was pressing the action. Lederman was not paying attention at all or sipping on something. Cloud won the fight, but i thought it was a lot closer than the 116-112 scores. I know Johnson is a tough SOB, but Cloud didn't look impressive to me. Neither did Alexander. Maybe, in their next fights, they will perform better.

You guys are slipping. We had a big fight tonight and this is on the 5th page? Anyway, Pascal defeats Dawson by unanimous decision. The fight was stopped when Dawson suffered a bad cut from a headbutt in the 11th.

PS. I'm still waiting for someone to knock Larry Merchant on his ass.

Pascal had it, the 108-101 score was nuts. Dawson will get his rematch soon, he had Pascal dead to rights one time and didn't press to much. Lampley and Merchant are almost becoming unbearable, I'm surprised Stewart hasn't choked one of them out yet.

I agree, but I believe if the cut wouldn't have occured, Dawson was gonna KO Pascel.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/8/18/1630351/california-denies-license-for

The California State Athletic Commission voted 5-to-1 against giving Antonio Margarito a new license to box today, putting a scheduled November 13 fight against Manny Pacquiao into serious question.

The case wasn't a particularly complex matter, as state attorney Karen Chappelle argued that Margarito, 32, was not rehabilitated, did not show remorse, and with 18 months to familiarize himself with his case, had also failed to do that. One central point was Margarito having sparred and trained in Oxnard, Calif., with new trainer Robert Garcia, which by California rules is illegal for any unlicensed fighter. Both Margarito and Garcia said they had no knowledge of that rule.

"Petitioner has been given every chance, every opportunity to come clean, and to admit to wrongdoing. And to demonstrate his capacity for truth and veracity. He had an opportunity to do so at his initial revocation hearing. He had an opportunity to do so when he went to Nevada. He had an opportunity to do so in Texas. He had an opportunity to do so today," said Chappelle in her closing statement.

Chappelle also called it "a sordid incident of boxing history in California," and added, "This commission should send a message with its decision."

It was an overwhelming loss for Margarito and his legal team. Their defense was to once again throw former trainer Javier Capetillo under the bus, claiming Margarito did not know of the insert in his knuckle pads last January before a fight against Shane Mosley in Los Angeles.

"He took his punishment for being the captain of the ship when someone on the ship did something wrong. Did something very bad," said Margarito's attorney, Daniel Petrocelli.

But the plea of ignorance just didn't fly with the CSAC. Only commission Chairman Frierson voted for Margarito's reinstatement, even while expressing his own doubts about Margarito's defense.

"Kind of the ostrich with the head in the sand," is how one commissioner described Margarito's case for reinstatement in California.

Bob Arum will probably take the fight out of the states now

http://www.badlefthook.com/2010/8/19/1631633/report-rafael-marquez-injured

According to El Nuevo Dia, Rafael Marquez injured his thumb when he closed it in the door of his truck. He won't be allowed to fight for six to eight weeks, which means that he will not be facing Juan Manuel Lopez. No word yet on whether Lopez will keep the date and face someone else, although on less than a month's notice, it's unlikely they'll be able to find a good replacement opponent. This is quite disappointing as, on paper, this was looking like one of the better fights of the year. -- Brickhaus

The story was first reported in Mexican newspaper Record. If Lopez does keep the date and defend his title on Showtime, it won't be against much of an opponent, because as Brick says, it's about a month's notice. With the 6-8 weeks off for Marquez, plus fighters generally liking to be sure that they aren't coming back from an injury too soon, it's probably unlikely we see this fight take place before the end of 2010.

This leaves fight fans without something else, too: An alternative to that rotten Mosley-Mora PPV on 9/18. There were a lot of things to love about Lopez-Marquez on paper, and that was up there, to be honest. We had a great option to sit back and watch a potentially excellent fight instead of dropping any coin on a fight that to most has no real meaning whatsoever between faded Mosley and Mora, who has never captured anyone's interest.

Right now, we're waiting for Top Rank to confirm the injury to Marquez and to announce any plans for a rescheduling or a new opponent for Lopez.

was really looking forward to that fight

Texas' Commission has always been a ****ty organization, i'm not surprised they licensed him.

Texas program manager of combat sports Dickie Cole had this to say:

"My personal opinion is what he had on his hands doesn't give you any advantage over an opponent. Do I personally think it'd help his hands or be detrimental to his opponent? No. It'd have no effect on his punching power. I wonder how many of those [California] commissioners ever had a hand wrapped before."

billycollins.jpg

Billy Collins disagrees

Edited by StillUnknown