Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Elvis or the Beatles?

borninblood

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

For those of you trying to veer this off course, Hendrix pwns all.

Back to the subject, I'd have to go with the Beatles. Both are cultural icons but by the end Elvis seemed to be a joke with the sequined jumpsuits and semi-lounge singing act.

The Beatles went from the original boyband to serious musicians and they went out on top. They never seemed to have a "cheesy" moment.

The Beatles.

Elvis stole songs from black people. The Beatles made their own.

:)

Well.....I mean that's hard to say.

Even Jackie Wilson said

"A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man’s music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis."

But Elvis said...

"The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I’m doin' now, man, for more years than I know. They played it like that in their shanties and in their juke joints and nobody paid it no mind 'til I goosed it up. I got it from them. Down in Tupelo, Mississippi, I used to hear old Arthur Crudup bang his box the way I do now and I said if I ever got to a place I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw."

Johnny Cash > all

Uh, you're joking, right?

I'm not saying I hurl when I hear his music, a lot of the songs he did deserve to be classics.

But on a scale of singing talent, Cash is closer to William Shatner than he is to either Elvis or The Beatles.

But on a scale of singing talent, Cash is closer to William Shatner than he is to either Elvis or The Beatles.

You're not busting on Bill are you? Shat is the ****. His version of Rocketman Rocks! :)

Ok, it doesn't rock, but I am one of the two people that like it.

I think when people criticise Elvis because he didn't write his music they are imposing a modern question on an era where this wasn't an issue. The link between songwriting and artistic integrity is huge now, but it certainly wasn't when Elvis started recording. And furthermore to say anyone could have been Elvis with the right marketing is complete bull**** because this happened way before your voice could be digitally manipulated. Elvis truly had the voice you heard him singing with, and that's something you can't take for granted anymore.

All that said, I voted for the Beatles, because they created rock music as we know it, and released one album(Abbey Road) that comes somewhere close to living up to their legend.

All that said, I voted for the Beatles, because they created rock music as we know it, and released one album(Abbey Road) that comes somewhere close to living up to their legend.

Rock and Roll was born July 5th, 1954 in Memphis at a little shack called Sun Records. Not in England, the Beatles we're doing to Rockabilly, what Elvis was doing to the Blues.

Never listened to elvis...

which album should i check out?

Go with an early one from Sun Records. I would actually suggest picking up a two or three disc comp from Sun Rockabilly collections. You'll get music from some of the greatest people, Perkins Wanda Jackson, Cash and they are usually dirt cheap.

Rock and Roll was born July 5th, 1954 in Memphis at a little shack called Sun Records. Not in England, the Beatles we're doing to Rockabilly, what Elvis was doing to the Blues.

Actually the Beatles early stuff sounds much closer to Buddy Holly and Little Richard than it does Elvis. Ultimately, modern rock came through Clapton and Hendrix, and owes more to artists like BB and Freddie King than Elvis. Elvis' influence is far more prevalent in country than in rock.

When asked by Larry King what it was that made him want to be a rock and roll star, without hesitation, Paul McCartney answered, "Elvis...Aron...Presley"

"Before Elvis, there was nothing" ~ John Lennon

Personally, my musical library is filled with both.

Besides, Elvis was a solo act. Number 1 in my book.

The Beatles were a group.

went with the Beatles. Early Elvis I can understand people going with but when he became a marketing commodity and did a whole pile of crap movies I found it impossible to take him seriously. I rate 'Rock-a-hula' as one of my pet hate songs of all time. Every time I see Elvis I hear this song in my head and think of the attrocious film it came from ('Blue Hawaii'). Not exactly King of Rock'n'Roll stuff. Unfair I know as not every song the Beatles did is a work of genious either but thats how it goes for me.

I picked Elvis because his voice is second to none. The Beatles were great, but yeah, yeah, yeah is just too simplistic to be considered over the King. Don't get me wrong, I think the Beatles were good and they actually got better into the 70's, but for pure music, Elvis kicks their ass every time IMO.

Archived