Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Roy Horse Collar Williams deserve suspension?

DWinzit

The tackle was not a horsecoller tackle he had a hand in front of the guy as well. You guys are really something. If it was that serious of a problem then you would see it called at all levels of football. It is a legal tackle at every level of play except the NFL. The NFL only has that rule now because TO go injured. However, the tackle on Clark was a horsecollar.

The NFL honestly just pulls stuff out of its ***. A couple years ago Darren Woodson hit some Seattle reciever with a legal hit and was fined because it was so violent. Let me say that again. It was LEGAL, but he was fined because he sent the guy into siezures.

The tackle was not a horsecoller tackle he had a hand in front of the guy as well. You guys are really something. If it was that serious of a problem then you would see it called at all levels of football. It is a legal tackle at every level of play except the NFL. The NFL only has that rule now because TO go injured. However, the tackle on Clark was a horsecollar.

The NFL honestly just pulls stuff out of its ***. A couple years ago Darren Woodson hit some Seattle reciever with a legal hit and was fined because it was so violent. Let me say that again. It was LEGAL, but he was fined because he sent the guy into siezures.

He got fined and we're making the excuses and wild assumptions? Just because he had his hand in front he still was pulling from the back. And the motion was still going backward thus a horsecollar.

The tackle was not a horsecoller tackle he had a hand in front of the guy as well.

Was the hand in front on the face mask? I did not see a replay so I cannot confirm this but the angle I saw looked like he got a piece of the face mask.:dallasuck

Was the hand in front on the face mask? I did not see a replay so I cannot confirm this but the angle I saw looked like he got a piece of the face mask.:dallasuck

roy williams combined a horse collar with a facemask and then another player flew it for a helmet to helmet collision. It was solid Dallas Cowboy football.

he was flagged for a facemask.

As for punishment...we will take care of it...just throw the ball over the middle to sellers.

I have not seen anything that says as long as you have your hand on the front it is not a horsecollar. This case was actually one of the few Horsecollars I have seen that actually goes by the original rule. He had his hand inside the Shoulder pads. They even expanded the rules to include the jersey this year. His tackle last night was a blatant text book example of the illegal horsecollar.

In fact your argument about him having his hand on the front of the jersey makes it even more of a argument for his suspension. If he could get his other arm around the front then he had no reason to do the illegal tackle. If his one hand was around to his front he could have easily pushed him out of bounds (he was going there anyways) or actually **GASP** wrapped him up. Instead he chose to go for the illegal tackle and in fact by his actions and the knowledge of the danger of his actions he chose to attempt to injure the runner.

there were three fouls on that tackle

A minor facemask, a major horsecollar, and a major helmet to helmet (not accidental, the defender dove at him with his head first) hit.

Of the three the majors where 15yds and the facemask was 5. Guess which one of the three with the official standing 3 feet from the play was called against the cowboys.

roy williams combined a horse collar with a facemask and then another player flew it for a helmet to helmet collision. It was solid Dallas Cowboy football.

he was flagged for a facemask.

To me, that's the issue. How the officials could ignore both the horsecollar AND leading-with-the-helmet infractions on the same play was just mindboggling. And if their defense is that they didn't see either of them, that's even worse. The horsecollar was as blatant and unobstructed as any I've ever seen, and the helmet to helmet, while quick enough to MAYBE have been missed, also appeared to come well out of bounds.

It really does make you wonder sometimes.

As to what to do about Williams, raising the fines isn't enough. Suspensions are the only way to get a player's attention becuase it hits them both in the wallet (game checks) and the ego. And woe to both RW and the league if the next time he does it--and he will--he ends a player's career.

lol, what were you saying about pulling stuff out of your Azz?

It has nothing to do with a hand in front. You couldn't know less if you tried.

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket. Previously, the “horse-collar” tackle rule did not include the back of the shoulder pads or jersey. This increases the scope of the rule. Penalty: Loss of 15 yards.

Reason for the change: Player safety.

there were three fouls on that tackle

A minor facemask, a major horsecollar, and a major helmet to helmet (not accidental, the defender dove at him with his head first) hit.

Of the three the majors where 15yds and the facemask was 5. Guess which one of the three with the official standing 3 feet from the play was called against the cowboys.

And the helmet to helmet hit was out of bound also I think. That was one of the worse call I have ever seen.

He should not be suspended this time; however, the NFL should call him and let him know the next time he horse collar's somebody he will be suspended and the length will increase each time and have a corresponding fine. There should be a fine of $50,000 this time. Exponential increase plus 50 is a nice round number.

He should continue to be fined each and every time that this occurs.

If he injures a player with this move and the player is out for the season due to injury, Williams should be fined and have a years suspension handed to him by the commish to mirror the loss of the player injured.

He should continue to be fined each and every time that this occurs.

If he injures a player with this move and the player is out for the season due to injury, Williams should be fined and have a years suspension handed to him by the commish to mirror the loss of the player injured.

the argument that keeps coming up though is that he KNOWS that the rule was put into place mostly because of the fact that he used this tackle a lot and was responsible for injuring other players with it and he was already fined for this a few weeks ago.

i mean why would he blatenly do that again when he knows that the move is illegal and has been fined for it just weeks before? doesn't sound like the fine helped him learn.

and i wouldn't want to wait for RW to injure another player and possibly take him out for a year or even more.

I can understand why some guys use the horsecollar sometimes. It's understandable when you're chasing a guy down from behind and can't gain on him enough to wrap him in a legal tackle. To avoid a TD, they'll take the 15 yard penalty. Coaches even prefer the penalty to the TD.

But this time RW wasn't even behind the guy when he initiated the horse collar. If you watch the replay, he's beside him and could wrap him and tackle. Instead he reaches around the back and horse collars him. That is the most flagrant and unecessary use of the horse collar I've ever seen. The guy is a tool.

You can fine the guy all you want, but what is 15,000 bucks to a guy that makes millions? At some point they will have to levy a suspension to get his attention, because right now the guy just doesn't care about the rule. He is getting away with it, so why should he?

Archived