Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Roy Horse Collar Williams deserve suspension?

DWinzit

It is a rule, but it's a new rule, and this is a technique that he has used since college. I know that this is going to sound like an excuse, but on the field things happen fast, and I am sure that instinct takes over. I don't think that 31 utilizes the horse collar maliciously, but perhaps he will need to be suspended for a game just to get him to THINK about it. I hope that doesn't happen....

Also, I would think any Redskins fan wouldnt want him suspended since he is such a defensive liability for Dallas too.
Indeed he is a liability!:)

Based on the thread responses it would appear Redskin fans are just sick of the Roy Williams Rule not always getting called on Roy Williams as he continues to employ the illegal act. He does it again he should be suspended. :2cents: :(

It is a rule, but it's a new rule, and this is a technique that he has used since college. I know that this is going to sound like an excuse, but on the field things happen fast, and I am sure that instinct takes over. I don't think that 31 utilizes the horse collar maliciously, but perhaps he will need to be suspended for a game just to get him to THINK about it. I hope that doesn't happen....

Of course he uses it maliciously. He's injured players by using that technique. Not only did he not stop using it of his own volition, he hasn't stopped using it even after they named a rule after him and fined him a few times.

If he wasn't trying to injure anybody, then he should have corrected his technique after watching the tape of him injuring the players. The mere fact that he never corrected it on his own is shows where his intent was.

Also, I don't buy into the fact that he was on instincts so much that he can't control how and what he uses to tackle. Otherwise how do players stop themselves from reaching out and tackling everybody by the facemask? If you can avoid using the facemask, then you most certainly can avoid a horse collar tackle.

Of course he uses it maliciously. He's injured players by using that technique. Not only did he not stop using it of his own volition, he hasn't stopped using it even after they named a rule after him and fined him a few times.

If he wasn't trying to injure anybody, then he should have corrected his technique after watching the tape of him injuring the players. The mere fact that he never corrected it on his own is shows where his intent was.

Also, I don't buy into the fact that he was on instincts so much that he can't control how and what he uses to tackle. Otherwise how do players stop themselves from reaching out and tackling everybody by the facemask? If you can avoid using the facemask, then you most certainly can avoid a horse collar tackle.

agreed..... :cheers:

Grabbing a facemask has always been illegal. Football players are taught from a young age NOT to grabe a facemask. The Horse Collar rule is what, 2 years old? He's been doing since college and there has never been a problem until quite recently. How can you not discern the difference? If you think that this is a malicious act, that's your opinion. I disagree.

Grabbing a facemask has always been illegal. Football players are taught from a young age NOT to grabe a facemask. The Horse Collar rule is what, 2 years old? He's been doing since college and there has never been a problem until quite recently. How can you not discern the difference? If you think that this is a malicious act, that's your opinion. I disagree.

What makes it malicious it the fact that he's injured several players with it. It doesn't take a rule to make somebody realize that they shouldn't be tackling like that. It's called common sense.

He looks at the film, he notices this last guy he injured got injured after he used the same sort of technique as the last time. So here's where the malicious part comes in to play. Does he correct HIMSELF, or does he just keep on keepin on till somebody makes it illegal? Roy didn't correct himself, that makes every subsequent injury he caused with it malicious.

It shouldn't take a rule to make somebody who doesn't have intent to injure change something on their own.

Roy Williams was just fined $15K for the horsecollar. Terrance Newman was fined $5K for impermissable use of the helmet. Looks like they were addressing just that play with the fines.
This can't be, Cowboy fans state it wasn't a horse collar!

How in the world can he get away with just another fine like that?:doh:

NFL DOLES OUT FRIDAY FINES by Michael David Smith

Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Dallas Cowboys' secondary was hit hard by NFL fines on Friday.

Schefter reports that the league has fined Cowboys safety Roy Williams $15,000 for a horse collar tackle during Monday night's victory over the Buffalo Bills. Considering that the rule against horse-collar tackles is often called the "Roy Williams Rule," and considering that this is Williams' second offense of the season, he should probably be pretty happy that he came out of the week only $15,000 lighter in the wallet.

Schefter also reports that Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman was fined $5,000 for impermissible use of his helmet in the game against Buffalo.

And elsewhere in the league, Schefter reported that Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew has been fined $7,500 for using the goal post as a prop in a celebration.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I am just going by what the rules states, it really says they have to come down immediately, You can grab them like that and throw them down no problem no penalty, it also said it has to be from behind which this one wasnt.

NFL seems to have agreed it wasn't a penalty, was close though. He also needs to settle down on those tackles.

Looks like you spoke to soon , and like I said I can usually see your points , but the guy was horse collared and hit with a helmet to helmet and a facemask all in one play ... and Roy was just fined for it .... so yea there you have it

Looks like you spoke to soon , and like I said I can usually see your points , but the guy was horse collared and hit with a helmet to helmet and a facemask all in one play ... and Roy was just fined for it .... so yea there you have it

Looks like i did :laugh:

I still believe the way the rule is written that it should not be a horsecollar, but I am not one to argue with the league or refs on their rules.

So be it, the fine was fair. Big game this sunday!

Looks like i did :laugh:

I still believe the way the rule is written that it should not be a horsecollar, but I am not one to argue with the league or refs on their rules.

So be it, the fine was fair. Big game this sunday!

yea ... for US !!!!!!!! ... j/k you guys have a much tougher game then we do , although ours is very very tough and we may lose and you guys might win , good games all around

yea ... for US !!!!!!!! ... j/k you guys have a much tougher game then we do , although ours is very very tough and we may lose and you guys might win , good games all around

I think both our teams have a good shot this sunday, your probably has a better shot at the win. I get the Skins game here as well as the usual Cowboys game so it will be a full day for me.

I think both our teams have a good shot this sunday, your probably has a better shot at the win. I get the Skins game here as well as the usual Cowboys game so it will be a full day for me.

hey, do boys fans want glenn back??? seems to me like the corp is gelling well without him, he could mess up the chemistry or something

hey, do boys fans want glenn back??? seems to me like the corp is gelling well without him, he could mess up the chemistry or something

When glenn is healthy we damn sure want him back, he already has chemistry with the other receivers and Romo sits to pee. He will help not hurt IMO

I'm glad RW got fined for the tackle. Heck, I wouldn't have been upset if it was a higher fine. I want something knock some sense into him and get him to start using proper tackling technique. I hate seeing him put either the team or an opponent in jeopardy (15yd penalty or injury). I also hate seeing him miss tackles by not wrapping up the ball carrier.

I have two questions:

Why are you Dallas fans still defending Williams?

Why was Williams fined just $2500 more than two weeks ago for commiting the same offense?

1) I'm not defending him. I wish he'd stop using that method... primarily so everyone would shut up about it.

2) I was thinking he'd get hit with a $20,000 - $30,000 fine. This was much less of a fine than I expected.

That obviously flew right over your head.
No. Actually what you wrote went over your own head. You admitted that Moss would be behind Roy Williams, even though he(Roy) wouldn't be covering him(Moss). If Moss is behind Roy, well then it is safe to say that he(Moss) has gotten past the CB as well. That may not have been your intention, but that's what you wrote. Semantics are fun.

I went to youtube and watch some of roys film. 80% of his hits are with the crown of his helmet or a horse collar. You watch film on Sean Taylor 80 of his hits are a lowered shoulder text book tackle. Go look for your self. And for the guy above me, so he did a hook?

Archived