Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Roy Horse Collar Williams deserve suspension?

DWinzit

WILLIAMS SUSPENSION COMING?

In the wake of Monday night's epic game between the Bills and the Cowboys, plenty of folks are asking when and if Dallas safety Roy Williams will be suspended for violating the rule that his tackling style spawned.

In 2005, the NFL prohibited the so-called horse-collar tackle. Williams had been one of the primary users of the technique, which involves pulling a player down from behind by grabbing the inside of his shoulder pads.

Williams was fined in 2006 for the move, and hit with a $12,500 fine earlier this year for another instance of it.

On Monday night, he inexplicably avoided a flag for a clear violation of the rule.

Another fine is a virtual certainty. But at what point will Williams be suspended?

Former NFL safety Mark Carrier was repeatedly fined for helmet-to-helmet hits, and eventually was suspended for failing to comply with the rule. Thus, it makes sense to conclude that, eventually, Williams will be suspended, too.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Plenty of other threads have cowboy apologists saying R Williams is targeted unfairly.

I haven't heard one douchebag defend that hit.

Because it was exactly, textbook what the rule defined. Grabbing a player fromn behind on the pads, leaving your feet and bringing him down.

Williams himself has said he won't stop tackling people this way.

I hope the league just keeps increasing the fine, doubling it after each offense. Roy will think twice when it gets up to 250,000.

I have been wondering the same thing about when he will be suspended and the funny thing is I was also thinking about Carrier. Dude was suspended for breathing on people. I think a he should be suspended this time. Not because he is a cowboy but because he was just fined for it and he goes right out and does it again. It is not like it is 8 weeks apart. Add to that his disregard he has shown in interviews about the subject makes it obvious he isn't worried about the fines or the injuries it causes.

Plenty of other threads have cowboy apologists saying R Williams is targeted unfairly.

Because it was exactly, textbook what the rule defined. Grabbing a player fromn behind on the pads, leaving your feet and bringing him down.

I hope the league just keeps increasing the fine, doubling it after each offense. Roy will think twice when it gets up to 250,000.

I think the only way he will start to alter his technique is if he is suspended for a game + the check for that game. Double it everytime he continues to do it. Next time 2 games next offense 4 games etc etc

He needs to be sat down for a game and fined. He's a fool for keep doing it, and almost ended the career of Musa Smith back in '04 and also T.O.(not that I'm defending him). If he's supposed to be a professional, then he needs to go back to proper tackling technique. Fines aren't enough for this guy.

Yes. At least a one game. It's getting ridiculous and he clearly has no regard for the rule, or for the repercussions that a tackle like that might entail. Fining him doesn't seem to be getting through to him.

I'm really not just saying this because it's Williams, it holds true for any player that continually tackles in an illegal manner thats prone to severe injury.

They can be fined and suspended. At this point, that's the only why it seems you will get him to compy with the rule.

This is a guy who is suppose to be known as a big hitter and with the horse collar tackle you are avoiding contact, which in my opinion makes him a wuss!!

I am against suspending him. Just keep fining him and increase it every time. Eventually, they will get to a number that matters to him.

How many season or careers will have to be lost until the NFL finds that number. I don't think it is OK to risk the health of the other teams stars (I notice it only does it to the best players on the other team, or so it seems) so that they can let one player continue to do what he does because he doesn't care since he was taught that way.

Roy Williams.......texas toast is the most overrated player in the NFL. He had a rule named after him and he still does it?!??!! The guy is such a fraud. I dont know if he should be suspended but he should have gotten about 5 additional penalties for the horse collar garbage he pulls on people. Fines are a joke in the NFL. Make the team pay for his actions w/the penalty. The thing w/texas toast is he does it EVERY TACKLE he makes...its beyond funny.

I can't wait until Mike Sellers gets a piece of Mr "Horse Collar"

Oh boy yes...

Seriously Roy Williams is up there with Reggie Bush in terms of being overrated. He can't cover, and he can't tackle legally.

And what's funniest is there aren't the throngs of Crackboy fans rushing to his aid!

The hard and cold facts as I can find them in regards to this issue.

This rule was put in place because of players be injured by this type of tacking.

Here is what I can find on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Williams_(safety)

The banning of the horse-collar tackle is sometimes referred to as the "Roy Williams Rule." This is because Williams injured multiple opponents with this technique before the ban,[3] including receiver Terrell Owens, who is now his teammate

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-05-24-owners-meetings_x.htm?csp=36

Posted 5/24/2005

WASHINGTON — NFL owners voted 27-5 Tuesday to ban the "horse collar" tackling technique that has contributed to rising injury rates in the league.

Now if Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee that pushed for the legislation, can just get people to stop calling it the "Roy Williams Rule." (Related video: The hazardous "horse collar")

The Dallas Cowboys safety used the tactic — which involves grabbing the inside of the shoulder pads and immediately yanking the ballcarrier down from the back of his jersey — on plays that resulted in three significant injuries last season.

"The way he tackled and the way he went about getting people down was absolutely legal (last season)," McKay, the Atlanta Falcons president, said of Williams as league meetings began. "So I don't like the perception that we're after some illegal conduct. We weren't. We were just trying to say, 'We don't want this tactic. As a committee, we're nervous. If this tactic gets copied, this could lead to more injuries.'

"I don't like the fact that it's focused on one guy."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones voted against the proposal, which was tweaked since being tabled at the league meetings in March.

The rule won't apply to plays between the tackles, such as a lineman reaching to grab a running back on a rushing play. And quarterbacks in the pocket won't be protected.

The competition committee recommended the rule after reviewing injuries from the 2004 season, when they discovered a link to some lower-extremity injuries caused by the pressure of a sudden halt to a ballcarrier's momentum when grabbed from behind.

McKay said the committee felt obligated to protect players in "defenseless" positions. Violators will be penalized 15 yards for a personal foul and/or subject to a fine.

Have wide receivers who benefited from an emphasis on illegal contact calls last season just gained another edge?

"I don't think it will be an advantage," Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith said last week. "But it will be more comfortable going across the middle on shorter routes. You know guys are not going to be able to just grab your collar."

Remember that Williams has already been fined twice prior to Monday night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3041457

Williams dragged down Bears' tight end Desmond Clark on a blatant horse-collar move late in the second quarter of the game, drawing a 15-yard personal foul penalty.

The Cowboys' safety said after the game he felt the call by game officials was "borderline," but Clark agreed it was a violation.

It marks the second time in two seasons that Williams has been fined for using the tackling technique. He was fined $10,000 in 2006 for a similar tackle on New York Giants tailback Tiki Barber.

This penalty is in place to protect players. If after REPEATED examples of this type of tackling are witnessed, either by Game officials (flagged) or in films sent to the NFL officiating office (every play of every game is watched for grading of officials). Then the NFL can not only fine the player as the rule is written. I am sure that if the commissioner wants he can suspend a player for repeated rule violations.

It is Time to come down HARD on Roy Williams

Aye he needs to learn how to tackle from behind. Look at how Darrell Green tackle from behind it's textbook. You don't need to tackle someone in a way to put him in serious danger of injury. I hope one day William get a pick and someone horsecollar him and see what it feels like.

Roy Williams would cut his tackles per year in half if he stopped the horse collar tackle.

When you are consistently getting beat its all you have.

The Roy Williams vs Sean Taylor debate is over..its not even close.

It wasn't close last year. I don't even know what the debate is about. Really it was just Puke fans starting crap.

Oh boy yes...

Seriously Roy Williams is up there with Reggie Bush in terms of being overrated. He can't cover, and he can't tackle legally.

And what's funniest is there aren't the throngs of Crackboy fans rushing to his aid!

I'm not going to defend his tackling. With such array of definitions and actual called penalties, Im not sure what a horsecollar even is anymore. What I do know is that I want to see Roy begin using more fundamental tackling techniques. Whether a tackle is a horsecollar seems to be called on an individual basis and I don't want his questionable tackling to put the Cowboys in jeopardy of costly 15 yd penalties. Let alone potential injury to the opponent.

While he is at it he can begin wrapping up on his tackles instead of lunging at them hoping for the big hit. I appreciate the fumbles he has caused but would like to see more consistent tackling.

Archived