Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defense: Fails to answer the call....

NoCalMike

Every facet of the team was incompetent in the second half.

Indeed. But come on, 2 1st downs in the 2nd half. There's a symbiotic relationship between offense and defense. Defense does win ballgames, but you're asking way too much of them to win you a game when the offense moves past the 1st down marker twice in 2 quarters of football.

First off, I am not here to say our defense sucks, and/or who needs to be cut/replaced however I am here to say that as good as they look stopping the opposing team on 1st and 2nd down, it was rendered useless when they can't stop 3rd and longs.

While the Giants were inching back in the game, the defense had ample oppurtunities to answer the call and break up these passing plays.

Joe Jacoby made a good point in saying that is what is seperating our defense from being a GREAT defense.

I can't disagree with you any more =D

I thought our defense was very good. yes, very good.

Now why do I say that? look at our first half. We were excellent.

but in the second half, our offense was just non existent. literally. the defense was on for at least 75% of the second half. They're human, so they're bound to get tired. Id like to blame a lot of this on the play calling.

The defense was not THE problem today, but I WOULD love to see a little more killer instinct on third downs! Having said that, I was very surprised that according to the Warshington Post, the Skins were the #1 ranked team on both offense and defense on third downs (as of week 2). I'm pretty sure that that stat goes out the window BIG TIME after today!

Indeed. But come on, 2 1st downs in the 2nd half. There's a symbiotic relationship between offense and defense. Defense does win ballgames, but you're asking way too much of them to win you a game when the offense moves past the 1st down marker twice in 2 quarters of football.

Which works just as well the other way. If the defense doesn't allow long (60 yard +, 5:00 possession +) TD drives on two of the first 3 possessions of the second half, maybe the offense has a chance to establish some rhythm.

Our defense was great in the first half.....I am not disputing that, but the entire time the Giants were inching back into the game, our Defense had chance after chance after chance to stop the Giants on 3rd and long, and every time they either mis-tackled or were found out of place and gave up a big passing play......

A tired defense doesn't stop a team cold on 1st and 2nd down to setup a 3rd and long....I mean what are you saying, that they would just get tired on 3rd downs?

3rd-6- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Plaxico Burress for 15 yards.

3rd-7- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Plaxico Burress for 15 yards.

3rd-8- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Jeremy Shockey for 21 yards.

3rd-6- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Jeremy Shockey for 14 yards.

3rd-6- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Jeremy Shockey for 7 yards.

3rd-5- Rush Derrick Ward rush up the middle for 6 yards.

3rd-6- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Plaxico Burress for 15 yards.

3rd-7- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Plaxico Burress for 15 yards.

3rd-8- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Jeremy Shockey for 21 yards.

3rd-6- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Jeremy Shockey for 14 yards.

3rd-6- Pass Eli Manning pass to the middle to Jeremy Shockey for 7 yards.

3rd-5- Rush Derrick Ward rush up the middle for 6 yards.

Yes, this is my point EXACTLY. I am tired of hearing "the defense is tired" I'm sorry but how come a "tired defense" can stop the Giants dead in their tracks on 1st and 2nd down, yet on 3rd down suddenly they are "too tired" to cover people?

Now, onto my point of "answering the call"

I think one of the differences though in our defense and Dallas's defense which I tried to explain earlier in this thread(in which I got railed on for) was that while our defense may be ranked higher and give up less yards(not even sure if THAT is the case) the Dallas defense seems to answer the call when the game is on the line.

Lets take tonight as an example. The Cowboys are up 17-10 and the Bears are trying to score to tie the game.....The Cowboys defense goes out and creates a turnover and gets the ball back, and almost on every ensuing Bears drive, get an INT or do something to change the game(Of course lining up against Rex Man-Gross helps the Cowboys immensely)

Same situation for the Skins Defense, We are up 17-3, and later still, 17-10 and we let Eli Manning throw the ball all over the field on 3rd down. Sure, we plugged the hole at the line of scrimmage on 1st and 2nd down, but what good is that if on every 3rd and long, the secondary can't cover the WRs/TEs. The most important down is the 3rd down and it is starting to feel like 2006 all over again where we just can't get our opponent off the field late in the game.

NoCalMike has been lambasted pretty good, but I'm going to add a "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" because yeah...you're way off on this one.

The offense completely dropped the ball in the second half, not the defense.

Well the thing is, if you look at my replies in other threads, it's not as if I am not giving our offense their fair share of the blame too, but I just tend to think a lot of the problems on offense had to do with the coaches neutering the offense because they saw a shaky Eli Manning and a 17-3 lead, and figured that with maybe another Field Goal some time during the game, that the Defense could coast us to a win.

Since everyone is saying our defense was tired for being on the field so long, what about the Giants offense? They were on the field as long as our defense and they didn't look tired. This is just an excuse to not blame the defense. They certainly played some great D in the first half, but, came out flat in the second half. There is no way the offense can and should take all the blame. There were many blown plays by the offense and defense. The defense had plenty of opportunities to stop the Giants in the second half. They got beat by good play calling. It happens.

Last week everyone was complaining because Eagle fans were making excuses on their loss. I am seeing a lot of that here after this loss. Give the Giants some credit, they played a whole game, we did not and it showed.

as good as they look stopping the opposing team on 1st and 2nd down, it was rendered useless when they can't stop 3rd and longs.

It was 2006 all over again. Prevent defense doesn't win games. If we had a 45-0 lead, sure but we were up 2 scores and the prevent offense was in full effect as well. :2cents:

I know I'm late weighing in...I was at my b-i-l's house watching the game..and that helps to keep me from making knee jerk posts from my emotions. Not saying that this post was one of those..just an explanation of why I've not been on since this AM.

This loss was in no way a defensive loss. By the end of the 3rd qtr, they were tired and could barely keep up. I think they did their part w/the exceptions of a few plays. This loss falls squarely on the offense imo. We couldn't execute in the 2nd half worth a damn! I was like..:wtf: . Where did our team go at half time..and who are these imposters on the field? I wish like hell we would have seen the old boot leg on that 3rd or 4th & goal at the end of the game! JC could have walked into that endzone w/that play.

I don't blame the 'D' alone for this one..we had 4 take aways today...4! Our offense failed to get in the endzone plain and simple!

I will say this...we need to play 4 qtrs of football on both sides of the ball! I blame the offense mostly today. I hate the prevent Defense ..always have..always will!

Since everyone is saying our defense was tired for being on the field so long, what about the Giants offense? They were on the field as long as our defense and they didn't look tired. This is just an excuse to not blame the defense. They certainly played some great D in the first half, but, came out flat in the second half. There is no way the offense can and should take all the blame. There were many blown plays by the offense and defense. The defense had plenty of opportunities to stop the Giants in the second half. They got beat by good play calling. It happens.

Last week everyone was complaining because Eagle fans were making excuses on their loss. I am seeing a lot of that here after this loss. Give the Giants some credit, they played a whole game, we did not and it showed.

I made a post here a while back to not take the Giants offense lightly we have a top 10 offense if we play a mistake free game its high scoring on our side look what we did to dallas we def looked better than chicago did playing em. one day the g-men will get some credit prob just not today

Im just glad the media and Eagles trash waited to harp on McNabb, basically saying he was used goods, till after we beat him, or we might of been second guessing our defense a week earlier. I think we're still suspect in the passing game, but definately improved from last year. The offense sat down in the second half and did nothing. Piss poor play calling and piss poor effort. Why would you think 14 points is safe against an offense like that. This game will surely be hard to swallow, the SKINS just gave up.

Since everyone is saying our defense was tired for being on the field so long, what about the Giants offense? They were on the field as long as our defense and they didn't look tired.

Apples and oranges.

Offensive line play is not comparable. An offensive line could play 75% of the game without too much trouble. There is a big difference between pushing upfield and holding your ground. There is a big difference between a blocking assignment where you move to a predetermined area to block...and chasing a running back or quarterback all over the field.

I'm sure at some point, you've heard the expression "the offense is wearing down the defense" or "wearing down the defensive line." But you'll never hear anyone say "the defense is wearing down the offensive line" because that doesn't happen in the NFL.

First off, I am not here to say our defense sucks, and/or who needs to be cut/replaced however I am here to say that as good as they look stopping the opposing team on 1st and 2nd down, it was rendered useless when they can't stop 3rd and longs.

While the Giants were inching back in the game, the defense had ample oppurtunities to answer the call and break up these passing plays.

Joe Jacoby made a good point in saying that is what is seperating our defense from being a GREAT defense.

You need to get your head checked if you think the Defense blew this game. This game ( minus a few problems ) showed me how good they really are.

we need a shut down corner... carlos rodgers keeps getting picked on.. last week he was covering avant. avant got the 4th down catch.. this week, carlos gives one to plaxico.. cmon. put yourself in qb shoes. we bring the blitz. leaving wide recievers one on one with carlos.. would u throw at carlos most of the time. hell yea...sorry carlos, i dont trust u when we blitx.. champ bailey is what is seperating our defense from being great..

I would say your defense played a pretty solid game. Like someone pointed out, you're going to have a hard time if the offense is going 3 and out as much as your guys O did in the 2nd half.

Considering the offense did nothing all 2nd half, what do you really want from the D?

If they were so tired, how in God's name did we force the Giants into third and long time after time after time after time?

Seriously, go watch the NFL Network and find another game where a team's fans are lamenting how tired their defense was in the second half. You know what you'll see? A D that gets gashed on first and second downs. That's the mark of a tired defense.

The fact is that anyone, anyone who claims that the defense can claim any level of fatigue until at least 2/3 of the second half had gone by is kidding themselves. We won TOP in the first half. There was no reason for the D to play like it did in the third quarter. None. None at all. But Gregg sat back in his soft four-man rush zone schemes like a little schoolgirl and got burnt over and over and over.

Another reason a defense is on the field for a long time is because they are not stopping the offense.

Agreed. Though the majority of the blame I lay squarely at the feet of the offense. Eli, Toomer and Shockey are going to make some plays and they did precisely that even when the coverage was there. These guys are going to get open and cannot be covered forever.

I just think this 'build from the secondary up' philosophy has distinct disadvantages, which were underscored today IMO. If we only had a better pash rush from the front four at key times late in the game, tired defense notwithstanding, then obviously it would have helped a great deal. Andre did all he could, but we are still very much lacking in that department I think.

I'm dreading the Dallas game more than ever now. I really think their offensive line will have the advantage, and I only hope we can get some pressure on Romo sits to pee. But again, the defense played well enough to win I think overall. It was the mistakes on offense more than anything else that led to our undoing.

Archived