Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A must win this sunday

tonyriggins

I don't know, when is the last time we won in philly besides the playoff run when most of their team was injured?

I think we will be very good this year. However, I am not getting my hopes up for a win week 2.

i cant give you any imperical data to back this up but WE WILL BEAT THE IGGLES in week 2.

I agree a win against Maimi doesnt do much to predict our season. But if you got to team playing each other with last years records of 5-11 and 6-10, the future doe not look to bright for the loser, especally if u are the home team. As far as in 99 losing to Dallas and yet making the playoffs, that was a division game, big difference than playing a bottom tier team.

Point taken.

After reviewing the teams that went to the playoffs last year, 9 out of the 12 won the first game of the season.

Of the three to lose the first game (New York/Dallas/Kansas City), they all played teams with at least .50 records (Indy/Jax/Cincinatti). Two of these were losses at home(@KC/@NY).

So, two teams last year that went to the playoffs lost in week one at home. This resembles more of an "important" win, as opposed to a "must" win.

Lets hope we win come Sunday!

To win this game doesnt really mean much as far as how good we will be, but to lose it would spell doom! Both of these teams were bad last year, so it is highly unlikey that they both improved into a good team. Who ever lose this game can count on double digit losses for the year.

Every game, no matter what our record at the time is a must win. If we were 0-15, it's a must win so we do not become the only team with the worst record ever. At 1-14, it's a must win so we don't join the Cowboys and Panthers as having the worst record ever. Etc., etc.

Also, we started the 1998 season 7-1 and failed to make the playoffs. We lost week 1 and went on a seven game winning streak. Every game after those first 8 were obviously "must win" games because we didn't win 6 of them, finished 9-7 and didn't make the playoffs.

I love post like this. Sure. If we lose the first game we are doomed. Gimme a break. There will be 14 other teams that lose too, and many of them will go on and have successful seasons. But if we lose, it's all over right? :rolleyes:

Some probably put added importance on it because its a home game against a team that was bad last year. Plus that we have to go to Philly next week, a game that many folks are marking as not an absolute, but probable L. If we start 0-2 the pucker factor at the Park is gonna be very high going into Week 3 against the Giants, who I don't see are going to be as bad as most think.

Of course, Philly started 0-2 (both at home) in '03 and were able to recover, but that was a team that had two straight NFCCGs under its belt. And a lot of it depends on how we look as well. As was mentioned, we lost that OT heartbraker in '99 to Dallas but at least it showed that we had a potentially potent offense, which was displayed a week later when we smoked NY. Last season we looked flat against the Vikings, and horrible against Dallas. Should've been a sign that '06 wasn't gonna be a special year.

I think that we should win, but I don't really think that it is a must win this weekend. The Dolphins D is the strength of their team and we need to prove that we can win against a top notch defense. I will be watching whether or not we will be able to run the ball against their D. I think that it should be a good measuring stick to see where are and where we need to be.

I don't think this team is so 'fragile' that a Miami victory would doom our season. Ture, the Skins starting out the season with a win would be great, but only 50% of the NFL teams get to do that. Regardless, professional teams don't panic simply because they lost an opener -- nor do they decide their post-season chances are lost (or assured) after one game.

Now, a win over Miami would probably boost the team's confidence , especially as it would punctuate how the 2007 Skins are not the 2006 Skins. But here too, the Skins don't have to win at the onset to prove that they are better than their 2006 performance. They already are better - thay have upgraded talent in many areas and almost everyone is healthy going into this season. We have a good team going into the 2007 season.

However from a playoff-strategy standpoint, this game would be an important one to win. This is one of the games that the Redskins play at home, against an opponent who will be playing all the NFC-East teams this season. We match up very well, we're playing at home, and the Fins are still getting used to a new coaching system. At this juncture, we're favored to win and that's good. Who knows how Miami will develop over the rest of the season.

So, after we beat Miami in our house, feel free to start rooting for the Fins to beat Dallas in Miami or beat the Eagles and Giants on the road. Down the road, a Skins victory over Miami might become the one of those 'tie-breakers' that determines whether we are the NFC-East Champions or a wild-card entry.

I think by Sunday evening this will be moot because I suspect we'll do just fine. I just hope that the team remains professional, and not get too "high on themselves' after their win. ...After all, there is a tough Mondy night game coming up against Philadelphia.

Archived