Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aug. 24: Jason Campbell

Art

Thanks to Larry Michael for doing a load of work on this chat as it came together so quick and he really has tried to get some good chats lined up. I think the superhero question is the one for this year :).

fdarugar

What improvement have you seen in Brandon Lloyd's game since the end of last season?

Jason Campbell

Overall I think Brandon Lloyd’s attitude has been a big improvement this season. He’s been dedicated to coming out and trying to participate in practice and go full speed. It’s carrying over to the field for him right now. His development in the offense has also improved. He’s running great routes right now. He’s a speedster, so his main thing is that he can get down field for us to help stretch the field, help stretch our passing game. He can be a tremendous asset. He’s just got to continue dedicating himself.

Rypien 91

How does having two solid running backs going to help your development as a full-time starter this year?

Jason Campbell

I think it’s going to help out a lot. If you look at any team that sees themselves in the playoffs or playoff contention the one thing that they have is a great running game to complement a passing game…they go hand in hand. If you look at the NFL today you basically have to have two starting running backs in the backfield to go through a 16 regular season game schedule. It’s an honor to have two great running backs in the backfield. Hopefully we can all work together and have a great unit.

skinsfan87

Jason, how does it compare from coming into a season as the back up and knowing the job is yours to lose?

Jason Campbell

It’s totally different. You feel better because you’ve had an opportunity to prepare yourself during mini-camp, OTAs and training camp. Of course you’ve still got some growing to do at the position because you’re still a young quarterback. At the same time I feel so much more comfortable right now and (I have) so much confidence in everything we’re doing as an offense because I had seven games in me last year and I also had the whole summer to prepare myself.

mcarey032

When you look around league, there is a lot of youth starting at QB position. How would you rate yourself among the young quarterbacks?

Jason Campbell

I feel like I’m among some of the top young quarterbacks in the NFL. But you know what makes a quarterback is the guys around him. You have to play together to win games. Individuals never win games. It’s always a team goal and a team game. I’m just thankful for the support system I have around me. I have a lot of good receivers, a veteran offensive line and great running backs behind me so I’m fortunate enough to have a lot of help.

ATCRedskin82

Its been well documented that you were at Redskins Park 24/7 in the offseson, but what did you do in your spare time during the offseason while you werent studying film??

Jason Campbell

I had to sacrifice a lot of time during the offseason this year. In order to be the player that you want to be at this level and when you’re a leader of a team in the NFL one thing that you have to do is you have to sacrifice time and a lot of personal goals that you set in life because you want to achieve team goals. In order to achieve team goals it takes a lot of dedication and a lot of hard work. I’m fortunate enough to be in the position that I’m in. I just wanted to take this offseason to dedicate it to getting us prepared for the 2007 season so I can do everything I can do to help the team win.

thelarkascend1ng

Out of curiosity, how many pages exactly are in the playbook this year? ;)

Jason Campbell

You know, probably a thousand to be honest. (Laughing) We have a lot of plays and that’s good. We very rarely run the same play over and over, so, it gives us an opportunity to be very explosive as an offense.

Siven

What are some of the first things you think, what you recognize and try to adjust for, when you line up under center and you're looking at the opposing team's defense?

Jason Campbell

That is a good question. First of all you have to verify the front, you know, what kind of defensive front they’re in. Then you have to find the safeties or the cornerbacks to try see what kind of tip or coverage that you’re going to see on the play. At the same time during all that you’ve got to check out blitzes, you know, make sure that no one’s blitzing. If someone is you’ve got to understand where the hot routes are, where your side adjust is...so it’s a lot of things going through the head of a quarterback during each snap.

The Rook

Do you like (or even prefer) the shotgun formation? Why?

Jason Campbell

I like the shotgun formation. It gives your quarterback the opportunity to see the field a little bit better. It (gives) you more time to throw the ball downfield. It’s a changeup. You can do a lot of things out of the shotgun. You can also run the football out of the shotgun as well so it’s a changeup from being under the center. One thing it doesn’t do is give you a lot of play action but it’s pretty good in the drop back game.

LB Dizzle

Who was your favorite football team growing up? What about now?

Jason Campbell

I’m a Redskin now. I’m a Redskin at heart. But growing up I used to watch guys like Jerry Rice and Steve Young. I remember watching Washington a lot also. It’s a of teams, you know, but, the ones I’d have to say would probably be San Francisco, Washington and I used to watch Steve McNair in Tennessee.

AJWatson3

What does it mean to you to be wearing the #17 jersey? Is it true you asked Doug Williams' permission to wear it?

Jason Campbell

I used to wear 17 when I was in college. I went undefeated at the University of Auburn wearing No. 17. Once I got drafted by the Redskins, ironically, out of a matter of respect that you want to ask the guy who won a Super Bowl here that it would be an honor if you could wear his jersey or the number. Doug Williams was very respectful about it. Basically he came to me first with the question. He wanted me to wear it before I even got to ask him.

poidog22

Could you please tell Cooley to stop wearing the shorty shorts out on the practice field? It looks like he raided one of his fiancee's old cheerleading outfits.

Jason Campbell

You know I can’t say too much to Cooley about that because if it’s helping him be the player that he is on the field for us right now today then he can continue to keep wearing it because he’s a heck of a football player for us and I’m just glad to be fortunate enough to throw to him.

dizzinator53

Does it affect your 3-5 step drop being so low to the ground when under center?

Jason Campbell

It did last year but that was something that me and Rabach worked on during the offseason . It wasn’t something that we could do during the season because he had been used to Mark being under the center. It would have been hard for him to adjust during the middle of the season so it’s just something that we adjusted during this offseason. You know, it helps you get the ball out quicker when you can stand a little taller.

tomgraham

Just wanted to say thank you for giving me a 10 minute laugh with your comments about Randle El needing to get some bigger ears when he told you he could understand what you were saying.

Jason Campbell

Yeah, you know, we have some comedians on our team. Randle El is

one of them. I told him every time he’s got something for me I’ve got one coming back. He’s a great guy, a great person...we enjoy each other. That’s one thing about our team this year. We all enjoy each other.

Petey_Crack

Charcoal or Propane, and why?

Jason Campbell

(Laughing) Propane. The reason why is if you want to cook anything on the grill you’ve got to get you a gas grill. It’s 20 times faster than a regular charcoal grill.

EDITOR’S NOTE: We’ve entrusted our franchise to a gas cooker. Rookie. I’ll work on him.

borninblood

If you could be any Superhero you wanted....Who would it be? Why?

Jason Campbell

If I could be a superhero I would probably be Superman. The reason why is I’d have the opportunity to fly and walk if I wanted to so if there’s traffic outside I don’t have to worry about getting into traffic. I could just fly over it.

SkinsTillIDie

Can you throw Carlos Rogers some extra passes sometime after practice and help him with his hands?

Jason Campbell

I tried to do that with Carlos when I was at Auburn. But, right now he’s a professional so I kind of leave him alone. At the same time I think you’ll see a great improvement from Carlos this year from that standpoint. People didn’t understand he has had that broken thumb on his hand before so that can also have an effect. He’s had time to recover now so I expect to see a lot more out of him this year.

AFanof17

Hi Hump,

This is your cousin Brandy, (You may not remember, we used to be sister and brother), but i was wondering how is your knee injuring coming along?

Jason Campbell

I have a cousin Brandy that used to live right next door to me from Mississippi. She moved to Columbus, Ohio. If this is her, then she knows that I’m going to be alright. I’m just thankful to God that it wasn’t anything worse. It could have been a lot worse, but it’s probably something that will just sideline me for one week. I’m very (fortunate) to be sidelined for one week instead of a whole year, but, no worries.

Closing Statement

Jason Campbell

I just want to tell our fans look for an exciting season from the Redskins and just continue to support us in every way possible. Thanks for all your support that you all have given us already and we just hope we can get on this ship together and have a long ride this year.

1) Good to hear about B. Lloyd...

2) If the offense is explosive, they'll need a nickname... how about "Taco Bell"?

3) Space between Cooley and his jimmies is like Kryptonite... keep those shorty-short-shorties on boy'!

4) Answer about Carlos Rogers hands cracked me up!

Jason Campbell you are the man! Thanks for the honest and open answers... we promise we won't tell ESPN that the playbook for this year is 1000 pages. I like your attitude and hope you have success here....

Nice work Art, Larry, etc :) One thing you can sure take from that is that Cooley ain't goin' nowhere. He obviously knows how important Cooley is to this team. I like Campbell because he seems like he's got such a passion for the game, and if he wants to cook with gas then let im'. :laugh: I should have chimed in on this thread and asked him when the hell he's going to learn how to slide. I was watching film from last year when he started and he just doesn't know how to get to the turf. Someone teach this man how to slide please :D Nice job with this and thanks :cheers:

Nice interview..my question didn't make the cut:( . Maybe next time:) . and Propane?:doh: He is young...:laugh: It's not about efficiency..it's the flavor! C'mon JC you need to watch "Throwdown w/Bobby Flay" more often.:laugh:

"Sweet lady Propane, lets you taste the meat not the heat source"

-Hank Hill

Love this guy, love the fact he knows how important that 17 on his back is. Really wish he had said charcoal though that's gonna bother me. I'm gona block it out and convince myself he said charcoal.

I know man it bothers me too. Charcoal is 100X better.

Haha, reminds me of the King of the Hill ep where they realize charcoal is better than gas and Hank comes home and finds out they used charcoal.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182106

Community Question

Most important question we can ask. No matter how many touchdowns you throw for and no matter how great your career is, if you answer this incorrectly, the fans will turn on you. Simply……gas or charcoal .

Jason Campbell

(Big laugh. Loved the question) Charcoal. Reason being is you get more taste.

What happened? Someone converted him to the dark side during the offseason...

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182106

Community Question

Most important question we can ask. No matter how many touchdowns you throw for and no matter how great your career is, if you answer this incorrectly, the fans will turn on you. Simply……gas or charcoal .

Jason Campbell

What happened? Someone converted him to the dark side during the offseason...

I think I remember this. Maybe he said propane this time because he knew it would rile up everyone.

Archived