Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Brunell, sign Leftwich and receiver

REDALERT

Leftwich is a winner and probably just needs time to heal. A backup role as a third QB right now would suit him well. I'd take a 27 year old Leftwich over a 37 year old Brunell any day. If his price tag was reasonable, he would be a HUGE adition to this team. Every QB has a difference in their mechanics. His "wind up" is something put out there to make people think he has a major flaw. Get real.

Leftwich is a winner and probably just needs time to heal. A backup role as a third QB right now would suit him well. I'd take a 27 year old Leftwich over a 37 year old Brunell any day. If his price tag was reasonable, he would be a HUGE adition to this team. Every QB has a difference in their mechanics. His "wind up" is something put out there to make people think he has a major flaw. Get real.

leftwich isnt a HUGE addition to us ever. he is an underacheiving, not as good as advertised, non-leader. if im not mistaken hes still available, if hes so HUGE of an addition why is that the case? because he blows.

I think one thing is forgotten in this "sign Leftwich" argument.

Why the hell would Leftwich want to sign with us?

We have a young guy who is the definitive #1 guy for the forseeable future. If he did sign with us, he'd probably never see the field, since he'd be sitting behind Collins. It isn't exactly a job for a guy who wants to be a starter again.

Jason

Maybe he was thinking a 1 yr deal knowing he'd ride the pine and then look for another team next yr that needs a starter. I don't want him at this point.

To settle this grammar issue (ignore this post if you have had enough of the "I could care less" "Couldn't care less" debate to this point):

Word Detective site

Dear Word Detective: I notice in US publications the phrase "could care less" appears, and I have never understood the logic of the phrase. In the UK, the phrase is "couldn't care less," as in "I could not possibly care any less than I do at the moment," which seems more logical. Any thoughts on this? -- Iain, Dover.

You're correct that "I couldn't care less" is the more "logical" form of the idiom, as well as the older, first appearing in the 1940s as opposed to the "could care less" form, which apparently dates to the 1960s. We in the US may be slightly more likely to use the newer form than you folks, but "couldn't care less" is commonly used (and vigorously defended) here, too.

So, is "I could care less" an illogical abomination, as the language purists proclaim? Not at all. It's simply an ironic or sarcastic idiom, one of several in common use, including "very funny" (meaning "not funny at all"), "big deal" (meaning "not important") and "oh sure" (meaning "I don't believe you"). Again, "I could care less" is an idiom, a figure of speech whose sum is greater than the total of its parts. To analyze the phrase as "'I could care less' means 'I must care somewhat, therefore I do care'" misses the sarcastic element carrying the negative connotation and filling in for the missing "not." Sentences such as "That will teach you to take your cat on a roller coaster" depend on the kind of same sarcastic reversal.

Negatives in English often depend on negation via sarcasm and irony. There's a story, no doubt apocryphal but fun anyway, about an English professor lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he says, "a double negative forms a positive. In some languages, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative." A voice from the back of the room then pipes up, "Yeah, right."

----

Oh, and Taylor36, congrats on the masters, but you still ought to learn how to use html tags.

Edit: On topic, we don't need Leftwich. That is all.

Or we could sign Aaron Brooks who is cheap and talented.

i was just asking what happened to him the other day. one minute i hear he is gay, then he hurts his shoulder and is gone. i dont get that. he was a talented QB in NO and should be given a shot at least.

i think Lefty still has it and he has shown he has the heart of a warrior when he plays thru all the injuries he has endured. remember when he played on that broken ankle for marshall? the guy has played his guts out for a coach that he didnt get along with and he deserves at least one more shot.

now should that shot be in DC? somehow i think he will be up further on the 95 at bmore..but i would take him

I think signing Leftwhich would be a bad idea. Granted he's a D.C. native, so that would be cool, but:

1. It would undermine Jason Campbell. And I think all indications point to JC becoming the leader we hope he is. Lets let JC (aka Big Smooth) develop without the threat of another young passer behind him. This is what makes Todd Collins the perfect backup.

2. We finally seem to be moving in the right direction when it comes to team chemistry, and FA moves. Just let it be! Our roster, with maybe the exception of antoehr WR is good enough to win games. Frankly, I never thought we lacked talent. We lacked cohesion and chemistry. And as we finally are starting to gel, lets not throw another wrech in the works.

I think signing Leftwhich would be a bad idea. Granted he's a D.C. native, so that would be cool, but:

1. It would undermine Jason Campbell. And I think all indications point to JC becoming the leader we hope he is. Lets let JC (aka Big Smooth) develop without the threat of another young passer behind him. This is what makes Todd Collins the perfect backup.

This is the only consideration for not getting Leftwich. Otherwise he is a significant upgrade at QB for us. He would win the starting job in a hurry.

doug williams threw like 3 more tds than ints, and ompleted only around half of his passes, you guys are a bunch of busters if you think he was good.... wait according to most everyone on here, if your a redskinsm your automatically better than any other player on the league

he was good for US. you are too young to remember so here ya go..

"Initially Williams served as the backup for starting quarterback Jay Schroeder, but after Schroeder became injured, Williams ended up starting the last games of the 1987 regular season. When the Skins made the playoffs, Williams, with his 94.0 passer rating, remained starter. He led the team to Super Bowl XXII in which they routed the Denver Broncos, becoming the first black quarterback to play in a Super Bowl, and as of Super Bowl XLI, the only black quarterback to win one."

"Williams had played extremely well in his 5 regular season games, throwing for 1,156 yards and 11 touchdowns, with only 5 interceptions. The Redskins main receiving threat was wide receiver Gary Clark, who caught 56 passes for 1,066 yards, an average of 19 yards per catch. Receivers Ricky Sanders and Art Monk were also deep threats, combining for 80 receptions and 1,130 yards. Running back George Rogers was Washington's leading rusher with 613 yards. However, Rogers saw limited action in Super Bowl XXII due to injuries that would force him into early retirement, and rookie running back Timmy Smith started in his place. Fullback Kelvin Bryant also was a big contributor, rushing for 406 yards, and catching 43 passes for 490 yards."

"Redskins quarterback Doug Williams was named the Super Bowl MVP, completing 18 of 29 passes for a Super Bowl record 340 yards and four touchdowns, with one interception. Williams became the first player in Super Bowl history to throw 4 touchdowns in a single quarter, and throw four in a half."

so before you go calling anyone a "buster" you may want to know the facts or do some research into the history of the team you supposedly love junior.

he was good for US. you are too young to remember so here ya go..

"Initially Williams served as the backup for starting quarterback Jay Schroeder, but after Schroeder became injured, Williams ended up starting the last games of the 1987 regular season. When the Skins made the playoffs, Williams, with his 94.0 passer rating, remained starter. He led the team to Super Bowl XXII in which they routed the Denver Broncos, becoming the first black quarterback to play in a Super Bowl, and as of Super Bowl XLI, the only black quarterback to win one."

"Williams had played extremely well in his 5 regular season games, throwing for 1,156 yards and 11 touchdowns, with only 5 interceptions. The Redskins main receiving threat was wide receiver Gary Clark, who caught 56 passes for 1,066 yards, an average of 19 yards per catch. Receivers Ricky Sanders and Art Monk were also deep threats, combining for 80 receptions and 1,130 yards. Running back George Rogers was Washington's leading rusher with 613 yards. However, Rogers saw limited action in Super Bowl XXII due to injuries that would force him into early retirement, and rookie running back Timmy Smith started in his place. Fullback Kelvin Bryant also was a big contributor, rushing for 406 yards, and catching 43 passes for 490 yards."

"Redskins quarterback Doug Williams was named the Super Bowl MVP, completing 18 of 29 passes for a Super Bowl record 340 yards and four touchdowns, with one interception. Williams became the first player in Super Bowl history to throw 4 touchdowns in a single quarter, and throw four in a half."

so before you go calling anyone a "buster" you may want to know the facts or do some research into the history of the team you supposedly love junior.

ok pops, you want some facts, here ya go.....

fact: his career record as a starter 41-43-1, including 7 playoff starts

fact: 100 tds and 93 ints

fact: 49.5% career completion percentage

so yea, your just like most redskins fans, you think he was one of the best qbs cause he had a great quarter, meanwhile timmy smith ran all over the field, therfore opening the pass for williams, but hey, apparently i dont know what im talking about do i?

apparently i dont know what im talking about do i?
I agree with this portion of your post.

Doug Williams career was not a bust. Don't be fooled by stats, he got the job done and had a few bad seasons, period. Let me hit you with some knowledge: The Bucs had never been to the playoffs until he showed up, he led them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years as a starter and to the NFC Championship game. The Bucs never made it back to the playoffs until 1996 (14 years) and lost at least 10 games in every season (except one) during that stretch.

In 1986 he played in one game and had one pass attempt, obviously garbage time. In 1987, he had a spectacular season as our back-up QB. He came in and got the job done, and set Super Bowl records and was the MVP. In 1988, he only played in 11 games and still had good numbers 15TDs/12INTs, In 89, he played in 4 games, Ripien was the guy.

I don't know about you, but I will take his career stats, as low as they are, if it means we go to the playoffs 5 out of 9 years and win the Super Bowl.

I agree with this portion of your post.

Doug Williams career was not a bust. Don't be fooled by stats, he got the job done and had a few bad seasons, period. Let me hit you with some knowledge: The Bucs had never been to the playoffs until he showed up, he led them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years as a starter and to the NFC Championship game. The Bucs never made it back to the playoffs until 1996 (14 years) and lost at least 10 games in every season (except one) during that stretch.

In 1986 he played in one game and had one pass attempt, obviously garbage time. In 1987, he had a spectacular season as our back-up QB. He came in and got the job done, and set Super Bowl records and was the MVP. In 1988, he only played in 11 games and still had good numbers 15TDs/12INTs, In 89, he played in 4 games, Ripien was the guy.

I don't know about you, but I will take his career stats, as low as they are, if it means we go to the playoffs 5 out of 9 years and win the Super Bowl.

you tihnk 15td and 12 int are good stats????

face it, your boy was and is one of the most overrated players of all time

Hard to say a guy was overrated when he won a Super Bowl. If you ask most qbs they would rather win a super bowl than have great stats for a couple of years. Just ask Trent Dilfer.

While in DC Williams wasn't bad. In 16 regular season games in 1987-1988 he had 26Tds and 17Ints and almost 4000 yards and over 56% completion. Thats not great, but its not bad either, and he also won playoff games and a SB.

Stats weren't the same back then anyway. 60% completion was pretty rare, not expected as it is now. Shroeder threw 22td/22int in 1986 and was a pro bowler. Phil Simmms won the SB that year and had 21TD/22Ints.

I was referring to the fact he threw more TDs that INTs, that is a good thing. Once again, I will point this out to you, while his stats may not be the best, HE GOT THE ****ING JOB DONE WHEN IT COUNTED. The Bucs franchise went to **** after he left. Do you think the Bucs cared about his QB rating or TD/INT ratio? Hell no, they went to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years and to the NFC Championship one of those years. He came in off the bench and took us to a Super Bowl victory.

It's fair weather fans like you that make me sick. Why you claim to be a Skins fan then come on here and bash a Super Bowl MVP that got us one of our championships makes no sense. You are not fan and before you even turn 21, I officially revoke your man card. Anyhow, I'm not going to argue with you, I can see you have no vision beyond "stats" alone.

Campbell might not pan out? You could be right but has Leftwich ever really lived up to his billing? I do agree with you because Byron is a hometown kid and he loves the Skins, having watched them growing up, but I would only do this if we can get a sweetheart deal w/another team.

ok pops, you want some facts, here ya go.....

fact: his career record as a starter 41-43-1, including 7 playoff starts

fact: 100 tds and 93 ints

fact: 49.5% career completion percentage

so yea, your just like most redskins fans, you think he was one of the best qbs cause he had a great quarter, meanwhile timmy smith ran all over the field, therfore opening the pass for williams, but hey, apparently i dont know what im talking about do i?

did someone drop you on your head as a child or are you purposely obtuse? i said "HE WAS GOOD FOR US". as in when he was a REDSKIN. his stats anywhere else dont matter to me. he was good when it counted when he was on "our" team. he led us into and through the playoffs and set records in the SB.

your rediculous "1 quarter argument" is moot. i watched those games. you have only seen replay of the SB most likely. so no, you dont know what you are talking about.

Archived