Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Brunell, sign Leftwich and receiver

REDALERT

They're you have it.

Leftwich is a hometown guy with a very strong arm and could probably do better under Al Saunders. Frankly, I think Suanders should be lobbying for this guy as our backup opposed to Brunell and Collins. Further, it would give leftwich time to learn the offense while Campbell's our #1 and Collins our #2.

So, next year we have Leftwich as our #2 QB and a hometown product probably wanting to come back home like myself :D . Also, he would defintely push Campbell to be all he can be and a quality guy if Campbell doesn't work out. Because the truth of the matter is, it's no gurantee Campbell's going to be what we won't him to be. All we can do is hope that Campbell's going to be our franchise QB and very productive. But if not, who do we have in line behind him (Brunell, Collins) for the future and #2 QB, please.

I just think this is a good move to make, along with signing another receiver with that additional open spot still open. Also, we get another draft pick for the Brunell trade as well.

Welcome home Leftwich, that depends on if no one else signs him first.

Leftwich is intriguing, but there seems to be luke warm interest in him thus far throughout the league - even by Atlanta I think. It's hard to believe he was outright released and I'm not sure what's going on with the guy. Is it all attributed to his problems staying healthy, or is something more? I don't know. I do agree his arm is surely above average.

As Gibbs said, arm strength is probably the least important characteristic in a QB.

I remember him saying that, but I personally believe he was being a tad bit ambiguous. Arm strength is important IMO. Clearly Doug Williams, Rypien, and Joe had the arm to do the job - you certainly cannot equate any of these guys with having a noodle arm in other words, and I think Jason reminds Gibbs of Doug quite a bit.

I disagree, Leftwich was having issue's with Del Rio and didn't won't to be in Jacksonville any longer. Further, Del Rio didn't won't leftwich around any longer, don't know the exact details. But Leftwich was doing fine in Jacksonville until his injuries came about, and he felt he was shafted because of that. Also, the offense of talent that was around him wasn't all that great as we think.

But mechanics, I think not. I feel if Leftwich was in a better suited offense, he would flourish. Not to say he's going to be our #1, but if he learns the offense, I would defintely take him. Who do you suggest as our #2 QB for the future (Brunell, Collins)? we need depth at that position as well, and that's why Palmer was drafted if we forgot and Bramlet didn't pan out. But if Bramlet would have panned out, who would have been the odd man out between Collins and Brunell?

Sorry, but I would do it, and it's probably going to happen. Even if we sign Leftwich without trading Brunell. Well see, not positive, but I want to see who's going to sign this guy Leftwich if not the Skins.

Leftwich got cut because of personality issues with the Coach. He is still a starting caliber qb. It took two offseasons and one regular season to learn the Saunders offense. Why would Leftwich want to come here, to sit behind the presumed franchise qb for the next decade, and why would we want him, given he doesn't know our offense?

If we were gonna drop Brunell, and pick up Leftwich, just so he can ride the bench (something he would not be happy with) then I would rather just keep Brunell, and pick Bramlett back up after this season or if we had an extra roster spot, and let him ride the bench and let him learn the system. Bramlett at least has had some exposure to our offense. Stop with all the Madden scenario's people. Christ.

doug williams is a joke, he had a mediocre arm at best

no YOU are a joke. even if it was only one game, which it wasnt, Doug Williams arm wasnt mediocre fool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXII

SB MVP.

and in case you dont want to take the time to click the link...........

"Redskins quarterback Doug Williams was named the Super Bowl MVP, completing 18 of 29 passes for a Super Bowl record 340 yards and four touchdowns, with one interception. Williams became the first player in Super Bowl history to throw 4 touchdowns in a single quarter, and throw four in a half."

Okay, I understand the concern. But IMO, where ever Leftwich goes, he's not going to start after getting picked up so late before regular season. He's going to ride the pine where ever he's at, for awhile atleast.

But if injury hits Campbell, the skins are doomed either way you look at it. let me see, we have 2 choice's Brunell, Collins. Oh wait! Collins, Brunell (haha). Please, teams would just load the front line again and dare for either one to go long. How long must we continue to have these 2 as backups with no depth after our #1. Must we replay the Steelers pre-season game again and feel our hearts drop down to our arse before running to the bathroom.

The team is evidently trying to get younger, and with the releasing of guys like Wynn, big Salvy and the rest of the old timers, why not have the same attitude regarding the offense. Yea, it's great to have a young fast defense with depth that will probably carry us for some games. But let's replay the Steleers game again here. And not saying that Leftwich would start if Campbell did get hurt, it would most defintely be Collins or Brunell. But let's contrinue the movement in getting younger for the years to come and have some depth on offense. And I think Leftwich would be okay watching from the sideline after getting released and picked up by his hometown team.

Further, he would not be thrown into the fire and could sit and learn the offense from the sideline. Then, next year. The team could release either Brunell or Collins. Why? because next year we're going to be in the same position as we are this year if Campbell gets hurt, period. Atleast we would have another young strong armed QB that sat and learned the offense for an entire year and is still a quality NFL QB. But I guess we would rather draft another Palmer and hope guys like Bramlet could could make the squad again.

Why not prepare now and not be put into another bind if Campbell gets hurt this year or next pre-season. Atleast we would have a quality backup for him that learned the offense before being thrown into the fire.

This isn't sandlot football ('I'm going to go 15 yards and cut towards the sideline - get me the ball Mikey!'), its a very complex offense. Even if a QB comes in with years of experience, unless it was in the same or a very similar offense, they aren't going to be effective.

And I'm not sure Leftwich is all that effective when he does know the offense :)

Archived