Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let me beat you to it, world is ending because....

Art

I pray you're playing along, because that was BEAUTIFUL if so.

I would truly hope he's not playing along with your little game because there's a whole lot of TRUTH in that post, Art.

I think it's well known around here that I don't believe this team has even played in, never mind WON a meaningful game since January of 1992. Hell, their last playoff appearance only came about because they made a run at the end of the season that wouldn't have been necessary if they'd taken care of their business earlier in the season. Then they proceeded to go out and play two of the WORST offensive post-season games in NFL history in the playoffs.

Looking at this current team and it's history over the last decade and a half, please tell me what there is that I should be all mushy gushy and positive about going into the 2007-08 regular season? I'd LOVE to hear it, because I'm sure as hell not seeing it from where I sit.

Mass,

Look where anyone has suggested anyone be mushy or gushy. Point it out and let me know. For example, what's your impression of my estimation for this season? My guess is you think I think we'll be great. It's the inability to understand the difference between an ability to express one's concern while still clearly being a fan of the team and being incapable of experiencing the sightest reason in anything you say because you are worried about the prospects.

It's not having doubts as to our success anyone has ever had a problem with. It's the inability to express those doubts, by a core group of Nancy boys, in a way that distinguishes themselves from a fan of the Cowboys. Take Fanno09s thread about the Kool Aid being sour. He could have written a thread that expressed legitimate worries while still appearing to be reasonable, fair and a fan of the team. Instead, he chose to write something A cowboy fan would write. Exactly the same voice. Exactly the same sarcasm. Exactly the same disdain.

Exactly the same.

We humans are egotistical animals, some more egotistical than others. Some Catholics need to feel like they are better Catholics than others, some need to feel like they are better Americans, some need to feel like they are better Redskin fans. It's egotism, pure and simple.

Homers are more egotistical than average fans. It's not that their team is so wonderful. It's that the Redskins are their team and they are wonderful.

Imagining that you are superior to other fans of the team is a juvenile fantasy for the insecure.

And, Oldfan, imagining that the niggling hyperbole of our core Nancy boys is not inferior to the reasoned fan and an actual sign of insecurity. Understand, no one who likes the Redskins and visibly would be said to can ever be insecure. Our position is secured by honesty and is put forward without shame. We're fans. On the other side you have a group of people who feel that overt enjoyment should be hidden from view in an effort to validate their faux fanship. It's time we took away from them and focused on those who can express themselves as a fan of the team would.

But, please, as you see the Nancy boys upset by being called out for their behavior, inform them, "Hey, Art's not going anywhere. Maybe we....er you should." It would be entirely acceptable for them to walk away. As our top most rules state. This is a fan site for the Redskins. Opposing team fans are not on an equal playing field. Neither are those you can not determine from opposing team fans.

When you all figure out it's not about what you feel or what you say that isn't positive, it's about how it's said, you'll have a moment of clarity requiring gratitude for me. In advance, you are welcome.

2. None of this would be necessary if Snyder would enclose the stadium with a dome. But he'd rather pocket your money. Drink another $8 beer and $20 parka. Screw you Snyder.

Actually, wasn't he considering a proposal for a gigantic inflatable dome (imagine the marketing opportunity for Trojan there).

Thanks to CHUBAKAH's gem of advice :cheers: , I was able to abstain from the $8 beer. The binocs seemed to actually blur my vision over time, but came in extremely handy with a $4 Coke.

That's not exactly true. I had an $8 beer with my nachos during lightning delay #2, out of sheer boredom. But I went for the larger draft instead of the bottle, which decreased my cost per fluid ounce by $0.10. :2cents:

Gazing through my real binoculars, I noticed in the owner's suite that when lightning strikes, everyone takes two steps away from Snyder. Go figure. :laugh:

Every fan-base has irrational folks involved with it.

With over 50K members, not much can be done to change their opinion or status here unless you ban them OR create filters to prevent the 'chicken littles' from starting repeat/world is ending threads.

One filter you might consider is a weekly or bi-weekly thread for merges. You don't have time to personally embarrass all these posters, nor does the staff here. A simple "Read-Me" thread with all that weeks 'world is ending' topics would be in there for all to see and comment on if necessary. This would certainly slow down the 'look at me' crowd because their voice would get lost amongst 25 other identical voices.

Good threads would get through on the front page more, and it would be a right of passage for newer posters who makes thread that don't get merged.

Just a thought.

:2cents:

Take Fanno09s thread about the Kool Aid being sour. He could have written a thread that expressed legitimate worries while still appearing to be reasonable, fair and a fan of the team. Instead, he chose to write something A cowboy fan would write. Exactly the same voice. Exactly the same sarcasm. Exactly the same disdain.

Exactly the same.

I didn't read that post the same way you did, Art. I didn't think the poster's argument was strong, but I thought his conclusion was correct. He acknowledged improvement, but observed that some fans are getting a little carried away with their expectations based on the positives we've seen on the defense in preseason.

I didn't see anything wrong with his tone.

Folks, look at it this way, it's PRESEASON so I haven't had any ability to watch or listen to any of the games yet (therefore can't comment much on the ineptitude of the team). If you think the nay-sayers have been bad so far, I get the feeling that when the regular season comes around and I start actually paying a fair amount of attention to the games you're going to wish it was still the preseason.

:applause: Yeah, I'm looking for your words of wisdom MSF.....you'll probably wish meningitis on McIntosh or hope that Campbell gets injured if he has a bad game.

Go get 'em Dwight

getacallfromdwight.jpg

We humans are egotistical animals, some more egotistical than others. Some Catholics need to feel like they are better Catholics than others, some need to feel like they are better Americans, some need to feel like they are better Redskin fans. It's egotism, pure and simple.

Homers are more egotistical than average fans. It's not that their team is so wonderful. It's that the Redskins are their team and they are wonderful.

Imagining that you are superior to other fans of the team is a juvenile fantasy for the insecure.

Really? Interesting. Is it any more or less arrogant than say some fans who declare themselves "realists" when they provide a negative analysis of the team and/or players then declare those who don't agree with them or see things differently "homers"? I

Classic irony.

Look where anyone has suggested anyone be mushy or gushy. Point it out and let me know. For example, what's your impression of my estimation for this season? My guess is you think I think we'll be great. It's the inability to understand the difference between an ability to express one's concern while still clearly being a fan of the team and being incapable of experiencing the sightest reason in anything you say because you are worried about the prospects.

Art, I'd suggest that there's some mushy/gushy in your initial post (at least as far as I would classify it). I don't think you're expecting a Super Bowl from your post, though I would suggest that you've probably got a lot higher view and set of expectations for this team than I do.

I'm probably among the top 5-10 most pesimistic posters on this board. I think even you would have to agree with that. I constantly see the negative in this team (though I don't think that's a terribly difficult thing to do) and I have no problem publicly stating those views. I understand the difference you're talking about, but for those of us who see only the negative side of things, there really hasn't been a light at the end of the tunnel these past 15 years to walk towards that hasn't ended up being an oncoming train. That tends to take what little positive view of things some of us have and trample it into nothing.

It's not having doubts as to our success anyone has ever had a problem with. It's the inability to express those doubts, by a core group of Nancy boys, in a way that distinguishes themselves from a fan of the Cowboys. Take Fanno09s thread about the Kool Aid being sour. He could have written a thread that expressed legitimate worries while still appearing to be reasonable, fair and a fan of the team. Instead, he chose to write something A cowboy fan would write. Exactly the same voice. Exactly the same sarcasm. Exactly the same disdain.

I haven't yet read the thread in question, but I'll tell you that I have been "nominated" more than once as a Troll and a Cowboy fan for my less than sunny, rosey or optimistic views of this team. I'm sure that there are even some closet 'Boys, Giants and bEagles fans here masquerading as Skins fans. The problem comes when anyone who even voices a dissenting opinion about this team gets labeled as a Troll. Especially considering the medium that we're using to communicate here. The written word is a very difficuly one to transfer tone and emotion through.

:applause: Yeah, I'm looking for your words of wisdom MSF.....you'll probably wish meningitis on McIntosh or hope that Campbell gets injured if he has a bad game.

You wouldn't like them, so I'll refrain from raining on your parade excessively at this point. Let's just leave it at this.... I believe that we will have a higher First Round draft pick this year coming up than we did last year, and that we'll accordingly, have less wins than last year.

Really? Interesting. Is it any more or less arrogant than say some fans who declare themselves "realists" when they provide a negative analysis of the team and/or players then declare those who don't agree with them or see things differently "homers"? I

No, egotism can manifest itself in many forms. However, whether one's opinion is actually realistic or negative is a subjective judgment. In contrast, when a fan asserts or implies he is a superior fan by virtue of his opinions, the arrogance is unmistakeable.

No, egotism can manifest itself in many forms. However, whether one's opinion is actually realistic or negative is a subjective judgment. In contrast, when a fan asserts or implies he is a superior fan by virtue of his opinions, the arrogance is unmistakeable.

Yet greater irony.

I will say one thing that is a little off topic, but it has amazed me forever. No matter how many people insult MSF for whatever reason, I don't think I have ever seen him respond with a post where he lost his temper or it was absolutely riddled with sarcasm and veiled hostility, as most people would do. It's quite amazing actually, especially given the frequency with which he is insulted for this or that...

I will say one thing that is a little off topic, but it has amazed me forever. No matter how many people insult MSF for whatever reason, I don't think I have ever seen him respond with a post where he lost his temper or it was absolutely riddled with sarcasm and veiled hostility, as most people would do. It's quite amazing actually, especially given the frequency with which he is insulted for this or that...

That kind of behavior is normal for someone looney tunes... :laugh:

Rock, I'd have to care to some degree or another about what other people think to get really upset and react in that way. When I start to get close to that point with a poster they go on my ignore list. Then the temptation goes away very quickly.

Why just contain it to the team. Snyder also owns this board. And he can't make a damn personnel decision around here to save his life.

Don't believe me?

Om...Come on. My 4-year old daughter has a more extensive vocabulary than that guy.

Art...Oh, Mr. Holier-Than-Thou. "Don't talk **** about your fellow posters." Then he devotes an entire thread to doing just that.

Tarhog...Phoniness. Dude comes off as a helluva good guy. He really does. But he's actually Crazyhorse1. You all didn't know that, did you? Uh huh. Two accounts is SUPPOSED to get you a lifetime ban, buddy.

Blade...Ha. Oh sure, we all loved him putting the ES hat on the star in Dallas and taking pictures of it. But someone else snapped that photo as he was throwing the ES hat down and stomping on it. He was actually wearing a "IRVIN 4 HOF" hat.

Murf...Dude, have you ever USED a camera before posting the amateurish crap you've been feeding us all season. Yeah, step 1 buddy. Take the lens cap off. :rolleyes:

Die Hard...This one REALLY cracks me up. Dude's name is DIE HARD. Since when do DIE HARDS quit? You know when? When they don't feel like moderating their own damn board anymore. :doh:

JimmiJo...Mmm...He's the only one who's really OK out of the bunch. Course, he had to bribe me to say that with a couple of GREAT tickets last night. :cheers:

Even the "unofficial" mods, or so called respected members around here are really just cheesers.

Park City Skins...Hey man, the asterisk has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Find a new gimmick. :thumbsup:

HapHaszard...Oh, what? Like we can't find our own Skins news? News flash for you. THIS WHOLE BOARD IS ABOUT THE REDSKINS!!!!! :doh:

bubba9497...Hey buddy, save the homers for the Nationals, will ya? They could use some. And since you're the Barry Bonds of homerism, I'm sure they'd love to have you. And well, like Barry Bonds, no one here likes you. :finger:

Sure, it is subjective; but to a point. Unless you muddy the definitions of realistic and negative there comes a time when it is really hard to look at a post and say that it is not negative.

I see realistic as looking at both the good and bad, weighing them and offering your opinion as to what it means for the team and the conclusions you draw from both. "This is what I saw that worried me or I thought was bad. This is what I saw that looked good and is an improvement. Here are my guesses as to what this means for the team." There is a huge difference between that approach and the approach taken by others who begin with the premise that there isn't anything good to look at, or those who simply ignore something that looked good overall and instead concentrate on a few bad plays to form their argument that we will suck this year or they don't see anything good from the team.

It just seems like some people are literally waiting in the woodwork for a bad play or a bad performance by one player to come out and start talking about how it means we are going to be awful this year and yadda yadda. All based on one part of a preseason game.

Archived