Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pittsburgh article on the Campbell hit

bricucci

If that DE lacks that much control, he shouldn't be playing at the professional level.

So, if you slip while launching yourself at somebody, I suppose you use air brakes like Bugs Bunny to stop yourself in mid-flight? I was sick when I saw JC rolling around in pain, but the replay shows nothing definative that the play was intentional. Saying that a player must perform perfectly in preseason or he must somehow be able to defy the laws of physics is not reasonable.

"righted himself enough to lunge at Campbell's left leg"

End of article. You don't purposely hit low on a quarterback, he wasn't blocked into his knee, that you could understand. He purposely dove at Campbell's knee which is an illegal hit.

I agree completely!!!!

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18726662&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

Keisel's illegal hit unacceptable

By: Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

The knee-jerk reaction in all corners of the Steelers Nation was that Brett Keisel's Saturday night hit was not dirty.

The blow that bent Jason Campbell's left knee and left him writhing in pain on the FedEx Field turf was nothing more than an aggressive defensive end doing his job.

Play hard the moment the ball is snapped, and don't stop until the whistle blows.

That's the Pittsburgh perspective.

But the fact of the matter is that Keisel's full-tilt effort was indeed illegal. That's why he was flagged for a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty.

And in this day and age when the National Football League goes overboard in trying to protect its quarterbacks from questionable tactics, Keisel's lunging hit on Campbell was indeed uncalled for.

You should have heard the silence from 69,322 fans as the 'Skins medical staff attended to Campbell.

This kid - the Redskins' No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft - is the 'Skins Great Hope. They hope he can be for them what Ben Roethlisberger is to the Steelers.

If Washington defensive end Andre Carter would have drilled Roethlisberger with a low blow to the knee and jeopardized his future, the Steelers would have cried bloody murder.

After Saturday's 12-10 win, Keisel gave his version of his hit on Campbell. He said he was trying to make a play and he would never intentionally hurt a player.

For anyone who knows Keisel, you have to believe the guy. He's not a spiteful guy who would revert to dirty tactics. He's one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

But it was interesting that while Keisel talked about his hit, he flashed back to Jan. 8, 2006. That's the day the Steelers, the eventual Super Bowl champs, pulled off an upset in Cincinnati by beating the Bengals, 31-17, in an AFC wild-card playoff game.

That's the game when Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen ended the Bengals' Super Bowl hopes by taking out Carson Palmer with a first-quarter blow to the knee. Palmer, who needed surgery, absolved von Oelhoffen of any wrongdoing ... although some Bengals and most Bengal fans will always feel cheated.

The NFL didn't fine von Oelhoffen. But you have to wonder if the league won't hit up Keisel for his hit.

Football is a violent, fast-paced sport and injuries will happen. Still, players must find a way to restrain themselves when they get close to a QB's knees.

In Sunday's The Washington Post, a photographer captured Keisel's hit on Campbell's knee at the moment of impact. The photo showed that while unintentional, Keisel landed a blow that was definitely too low.

In the photo, Keisel had his right arm wrapped around the back of Campbell's thighs. His right shoulder pad drove into Campbell's left thigh. Keisel's left arm was wrapped around Campbell's left knee. Keisel's face mask was just about knee level.

It's a wonder Campbell - who had released the ball by the time Keisel hit him - didn't suffer a broken leg or a major knee injury.

The initial diagnosis is that Campbell only suffered a bruised knee and that he should be ready when the regular season starts. There doesn't appear to be any structural damage.

Thank goodness.

It would be a shame for any quarterback to get hurt in a preseason game on a hit like that.

It's football...and its an illegal hit.

He should be fined, and possiblily suspended, if they are serious about protecting QB's.

If a Redskin player did the same thing, I would expect them to recieve the same treatment.

I hate seeing any player get their legs taken out. Rolling into a guy happens, but lunging into a players legs is wrong and against the rules. Period.

Only one man knows what was going through Kiesel's mind or in his heart as he lunged for Campbell. The rest of us will never know. The author of this piece is right--it's football. It happens.

Actually, this would be an acceptable answer if this had never been an issue already with the Steelers... When have you seen the Redskins take out a QB at the knee lately? When are the Steelers going to stop giving the same BS answers? Their Super Bowl was won in '05 because they took out a QB at the knees in the playoffs. Even if most people feel this hasn't damaged their image, they need to treat it as if it has. The NFL should also address the issue of low blows on QB knees. They already protect WRs who are teed off on when they are in a "helpless" position. They also limit cut-blocks against Defensive Lineman to pretend them from low hits. They should do the same for QBs in this case. If they are serious about protecting QBs, they should implement penalties during the game and fines depending on the severity of the hit.

BTW, every fool knows that "football is a brutal game". However, using that as an excuse for low tackles that potentially can end someone's season, career, or even cause potential health problems down the road is pathetic.

if he isnt fined by the NFL we will know that it is biased in favor of Pittsburgh. that hit was totally wrong, he got his balance enough to lunge and he could have avoided the knee. Theismann (who i dont like) was the biggest advocate of him being in the wrong for this. it was just a bad hit and even though he apoligized he didnt try to miss in my opinion.

Jason Campbell was injured by an intentional illegal move. That's a fact.

It doesn't matter that he wasn't trying to put Campbell in the hospital.

Are the horsecollars by Roy Williams any less dirty because of his intentions? No. It's a dirty move, and so was this.

Injuries are part of the game, but not when they come from cheap shots. That's why they make them illegal.

There was no excuse for what he did. It was wrong. Everyone knows it, and we have every right to be upset.

Nothing more to add!

So, if you slip while launching yourself at somebody, I suppose you use air brakes like Bugs Bunny to stop yourself in mid-flight? I was sick when I saw JC rolling around in pain, but the replay shows nothing definative that the play was intentional. Saying that a player must perform perfectly in preseason or he must somehow be able to defy the laws of physics is not reasonable.

Did you even watch the play? He slipped before he even turned toward Campbell. He got past the OL, tripped over his own feet, corrected himself a little but then turned and lunged toward Campbells legs, in a meaningless preseason game no less.

Only one man knows what was going through Kiesel's mind or in his heart as he lunged for Campbell. The rest of us will never know. The author of this piece is right--it's football. It happens.

Look, I'm just like every other 'skins fan out there and cringed when I saw JC grab his knee. To be honest a few four letter words came flying out of my mouth. But yes Om, it is football and yes it happens. Kiesel's momentum clearly led to the low hit. Most of these DL'men weigh nearly 300 pounds and people expect them to be able to stop on a dime as if they were a 180 lb corner. I don't think so.

Hits below the waist are NOT ALLOWED

The Official called a PENALTY

Was he blocked into Campbell?.......NO (tackle was voluntary...and wrong)

Does that make sense?

Thats the point I am focusing on too. As soon as he tripped he should have thought "I have no chance to hit him anywhere but below the waist and that hit will be illegal."

The big thing here isn't whether he did it on purpose or not. It's that defensive players have to know that any hit below the waist is illegal, if they can't hit high they SHOULD be fined.

They should just know automatically, they should know how to react as soon as they are in the situation.

You don't see guys in soccer defensively blocking balls flying toward their faces with their hands because they know it's illegal, this Steelers guy had more time to react than that (but he wasn't the one facing injury). He just isn't taught what he is supposed to do in that situation.

When you are driving your car and you space out for a second, then look and go OH **** because you are rapidly approaching a car that is stopped, you don't go **** IT, I have car insurance and stomp on the gas pedal. You hit the brakes and swerve if you have to so you can avoid the accident. Thats what this guy should have done.

There was no indication that he was making an attempt to avoid the QB in an obvious Illegal situation.

He had time, he just didn't have the inclination.

Keisel is a piece of filth that only apologized to make HERself look better. You don’t apologize for an accident.

It’s really kind of sad that SHE has so little talent that even when given an easy opportunity SHE can’t hurt an unprotected quarterback.

What a piece of untalented, filth SHE is.:steelersu:steelersu

Having lamented the wussification of the NFL i think the hit was illegal but part of football.

I don't judge in the 10ths of seconds, nor one hit.

The horsecollar is illegal and was used over and over again in the previous example.

If this guy has a history of it, then sure.. But going full speed and missing his mark thats moving by 6 inches or not seeing the ball come out 1/10th of a second earlier doesn't seem all that horrific.

On the field things happen fast but you damn well know what you're doing as you do it. It's funny how much thought you can have in 1/10th of a second. You can think that's good, or that's wrong, really fast.

BTW, the Pit's do have a history of hitting QBs low. However, it is always an accident, never coached, and they always cry and apologize.

When you are driving your car and you space out for a second, then look and go OH **** because you are rapidly approaching a car that is stopped, you don't go **** IT, I have car insurance and stomp on the gas pedal. You hit the brakes and swerve if you have to so you can avoid the accident. Thats what this guy should have done..

:laugh: :laugh:

Like I said, I don't think it was premeditated and intended to injure,

What is the definition of "dirty"?

IMO, dirty is defined as something that is intended to injure, and is probably premeditated as well.

Can a hit be dirty if it is not premeditated and there is no intent to injure?

Did you even watch the play? He slipped before he even turned toward Campbell. He got past the OL, tripped over his own feet, corrected himself a little but then turned and lunged toward Campbells legs, in a meaningless preseason game no less.

Yeah, I saw the play. I am watching it now repeatedly. It was an illegal hit. He got flagged. Those of you thinking he had a personal vendetta againt JC or the Redskins and was intentionally trying to end his career obviously have never played football. He was off balance, tried to correct, could not and made a low hit. What on earth would be in it for the DT by ending JCs career with an intentional dirty hit in a preseason game against a team we don't even play? Can you answer that?

By your logic, if a WR gets bumped off his route, he should not attempt to correct, just shut down. If a guy can't get through the line untouched, in stride and completely on balance, he should curl up in a ball and shut down.

What is it you want to turn this game into? Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to tackle. Maybe the QB should wear a velcro flag on his ass. Maybe the QB should wear a yellow jersey and be off limits.

Or maybe we should let them play football and call the bad hits as they occur. Instead of watching the play in slo-mo, watch it in real time and then say if the guy had time to ponder the situation fully. This was no RW horsecollar. It was a low hit by a guy off balance and was flagged as it should have been. Do you hear JG or ANY other Skin complaining about it being intentional? No, because it wasn't.

Radagast5, please tell us what you are trying to convey. I don't understand your point.

I know that when a player recognizes he (she) is hitting low and grabbing onto a knee it is intended to injure. If you don't think so, what do you think hitting low and grabbing the knee is intended to do?

I know that when blocked to your knees, then seeing the QB's knees and lunging for them is certainly premeditated. Are you saying it is not premeditated? If so, how much time is necessary for the action to be premeditated?

Yeah, I saw the play. I am watching it now repeatedly. It was an illegal hit. He got flagged. Those of you thinking he had a personal vendetta againt JC or the Redskins and was intentionally trying to end his career obviously have never played football. He was off balance, tried to correct, could not and made a low hit. What on earth would be in it for the DT by ending JCs career with an intentional dirty hit in a preseason game against a team we don't even play? Can you answer that?

By your logic, if a WR gets bumped off his route, he should not attempt to correct, just shut down. If a guy can't get through the line untouched, in stride and completely on balance, he should curl up in a ball and shut down.

What is it you want to turn this game into? Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to tackle. Maybe the QB should wear a velcro flag on his ass. Maybe the QB should wear a yellow jersey and be off limits.

Or maybe we should let them play football and call the bad hits as they occur. Instead of watching the play in slo-mo, watch it in real time and then say if the guy had time to ponder the situation fully. This was no RW horsecollar. It was a low hit by a guy off balance and was flagged as it should have been. Do you hear JG or ANY other Skin complaining about it being intentional? No, because it wasn't.

Steelers won a Playoff game (leading to a SuperBowl win) less than two years ago using this tactic and they repeated the same excuses this weekend that they did last time. Basically, the guy was untouched the last three to four steps to the Quarterback. The Quarterback was stationary, so it's not like he was a moving target. The Defensive Lineman could've hit him anywhere, but because of either clumsiness or malice hit Campbell in a very dangerous spot. The NFL needs to send a message to players that do this (even unintentionally)... It's not diminishing the game to punish players for this... Does it diminish the game for you that players aren't allowed to hit helmet-to-helmet? Does it diminish the game for you that Offensive Lineman are not allowed to hit Defensive Lineman low while that player is being blocked by another teammate?

Wouldn't it diminish the game of football more if players like Carson Palmer and Jason Campbell weren't able to play?

It can't always be the same excuse that the DE was just "playing football" or "doing his job"... It can be chalked up as an accident, but it needs to be dealt with. The same team has had this "accident" happen twice recently, and it needs to be dealt with by the team and the NFL. I would expect the Redskins to take action if it happened to them as well.

turbodiesel#44, if those of us that disagree with you haven't played football then you should tell us your jersey number and the number of years you spent in the NFL. Or are you counting your boys-club teams as your experience.

I only played high school ball but a pee wee leaguer would know what I'm talking about. If you give up trying to do your job because you get knocked a little off balance and just give up, the coach puts you on the bench. That's a fact.

Now you answer my question. What would a DT have to gain by intentionally ending JCs career with an intentional illegal hit in a preseason game against a team we don't even play?

Archived