Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pittsburgh article on the Campbell hit

bricucci

Yes it is football.

However you can not leave your feet to lunge at the qbs knees.

THAT is DIRTY football.

At least in my mind.

I don't know if I'd call that dirty unless the guy actually aimed for the knee. When I was a LT I had a SS purposely come down and hit me in my knee while I was engaged with a DE just to kill a drive (we were running successful toss sweeps on my side) that was dirty.

However, that type of hit especilly while the QB is planted is dangerous and this is why the NFL made it a personal foul, b/c we know that Von Olhoffen made the same hit on Carson Palmer a few years back and it really damaged his knee (He's finally back to 100% after almost a year and a half later).

I don't think it was dirty. By the letter of the law, it was a penalty - but it wasn't dirty. We're not talking about an elbow, or spearing someone who is on the ground. This isn't the type of play where there was premeditation.

In fact, we should actually feel lucky about the hit. Because if it was 3-4 inches lower (directly on the knee) we could be discussing the 2007 Skins funeral this morning.

Kiesel or whateve his name is.. should have just stoped instead of lunging towards JC's legs.. it the freakin pre-season man no need to show you f'in hussle at the expense of another player... you just don't go at the knees like he did.. remember the steelers against Bengals? they took out Carson Palmer the same way... SOBs..

I agree with what others have said that it was an illegal hit but not necessarily a dirty hit.

I can see it from the defensive player's point of view. He falls to the ground and sees that the QB still has the ball and lunges at the QB to try and get him. That's his job and I do believe that he made his move on instinct and not because he wanted to hurt JC. Still, it is illegal and I think you need to start throwing these guys out of games in order to get their attention and to start realizing that no matter the intention, you can't go for a QB's legs like that.

It was illegal as the player will be fined.

A dirty play is spearing someone in the head or trying to hurt Campbell which it doesn't look like.

Lets just prey that Campbell is ok and ready by week 1

I don't know about anyone else but I was stoked when I saw what Campbell was doing. Keep in mind this is a team where the first team D did not allow a first down to a first team offense all preseason!

Fine, Penalty, whatever.

I'm just glad to see the guy make his way over and shake his hand/apologize. The hit was certainly questionable but I'm sure no one wants to be responsible for seriously injuring a franchise qb in preseason.

Regardless, his actions afterward showed class, that's what the NFL needs more of.

I'll say upfront I haven't had a chance to see the game yet. However, to dovetail on Om's comments I'd point out that the player in question doesn't seem to have a history of this type of thing. Given that and the fact that we'll never be able to know what he was thinking, one has no choice other than to give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, in a case like Roy Williams where he's horse collaring right and left, it's either a bad habit or shows the intention to hurt players for beating him with superior speed and has to be stopped. Period.

Of late, the NFL has really pushed the envelope of changing the game too much in an effort to protect QBs from injury. However, none of that changes the fact that football is a violent, difficult game and injuries will happen...even unintentional ones on plays that draw a flag.

If my opinion changes after seeing the hit and his reaction I'll say so but I doubt it will.

I'll say upfront I haven't had a chance to see the game yet. However, to dovetail on Om's comments I'd point out that the player in question doesn't seem to have a history of this type of thing. Given that and the fact that we'll never be able to know what he was thinking, one has no choice other than to give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, in a case like Roy Williams where he's horse collaring right and left, it's either a bad habit or shows the intention to hurt players for beating him with superior speed and has to be stopped. Period.

Of late, the NFL has really pushed the envelope of changing the game too much in an effort to protect QBs from injury. However, none of that changes the fact that football is a violent, difficult game and injuries will happen...even unintentional ones on plays that draw a flag.

If my opinion changes after seeing the hit and his reaction I'll say so but I doubt it will.

dont want to speak for anyone, but i think what he (califan) may be saying is that, intent or not, the hit was illegal.

a player getting hurt on a legal tackle isnt likely to draw the same questions.

Yes it is football.

THAT is DIRTY football.

At least in my mind.

Ya know...I hate to do it, but I must disaggree with you, Blondie. I think the QB is protected too much in this leage. This guy had a goal - sack the quarterback - and he went about tackling said quarterback the way he would have tackled just about any other player on the field. You're on the ground, hit him low, hang on, and make him fall. That's good football tackling. What's he supposed to do? Stop moving at full speed, cradle the quarterback in his arms, and gently place him on the ground? Blondie, it's football, and sometimes football is dirty and guys get hurt. It's a violent game. I love the Redskins and I hate to see Campbell get hurt, but let's face it. He's a football player. That's the risk he takes when he steps out on the field. It's time to end the preferential treatment afforded to quarterbacks and make them play the same game that the other 10 players on the offense have to play. Take your hits and carry on.

I dont think he did it intentionally.........it is the adreniline of the game.

BUT he left his feet and went for the knees.

It is what it is.

And then this part of the article:

That word shrugging drew a picture in my mind of some player who could not have cared less if he hurt an opponent.

I AM sure that is the SKINS fan coming out in me.

Hey, not saying he's not an arsehole. He might be. Just saying I didn't think it was dirty.

One event, two views. They be what they be. :)

Om and art are the only ones viewing this obectively and hence are the only ones making any sense. If he had just given up, he would hear about it in the film room...In all likelyhood the guy did what he thought he had to do to make a play, not make an injury.

Om and art are the only ones viewing this obectively and hence are the only ones making any sense. If he had just given up, he would hear about it in the film room...In all likelyhood the guy did what he thought he had to do to make a play, not make an injury.

I agree.

PS, they sit in here to bash on everyone ;):silly:

What the hell was the writer's point in that article...that injuries happen, so stop worrying if someone lunges at your franchise QB's knee? Seriously, not sure what his point was, other than maybe trying to assure everyone that it was not a purposefully dirty play.
Yes it is football.

THAT is DIRTY football.

At least in my mind.

qft

THE PLAY WAS DIRTY!!!!

Anyone who has played defense knows the rules of engagement. It's the reason the NFL has the illegal contact rule! The Steelers defender had enough time to think and react to the "type of hit" he was going to make on Cambell. Instead of changng his angle or applying another "type of hit" , he instead lunged toward Cambell's knees.

Regardless if the guy didnt mean to injure Cambell, he INTENDED to make an illegal hit. ( THAT IS PLAIN AS DAY)

It's like a guy robbing a gas station and holds a gun to the attendant's head. All he wants is the money but the gun goes off accidently and kills the attendant. Is the guy simply gonna be charged with robbery because he didnt INTEND to kill anyone???

Hell NO!

Robber pointed the gun = The Steeler defender lunged for the knees!

Stop making excuses for the guy based on the fact that he didnt mean to injure Cambell. That's not the point. The point is... regardless of if he meant to injure him or not, he still lunged for the knee when it was clearly shown he had enough time to alter his tackle.

:2cents:

Yes it is football.

THAT is DIRTY football.

At least in my mind.

I didn't see it that way. It looked to me like he lost his balance off his block and inadvertantly hit Campbell about thigh high, just above the knee. It just looked worse then it really was, thankfully. The guy that hit him was even talking to Campbell as he was walking off the field. He didn't have the look on his face as if to say "I got you" but rather "Sorry" was what came to my mind. You don't say sorry for something you do intentionally.

You don't say sorry for something you do intentionally.

You dont?

I need to tell some people I know this.

Cause I KNOW they have done things KNOWING IT WAS WRONG, and then said "I'm sorry" thinking that makes it all ok.

And I bet others know people like this too.

Anyway....back to the play. I will look at the play in a few minutes again.

I dont know that my mind will change.

Do i think this was a dirty hit? No

Do i think it was intentional? No

This still does not change the fact that it was an ILLEGAL hit. You cannot defend the legality of the hit. Its illegal, thats a fact. You cant go at a QBs legs.

Heck even the guy who wrote the article said he righted himself from the stumble in time to lunge.

Keisel should be fined. I doubt he will be suspended but i expect a fine.

Football is a tough sport.Everyone knows that.Everytime a quarterback drops back in the pocket he takes a chance of getting injured.I didn't like the hit or think that it was a fair hit but it is something that can happen everytime players take the field.

Archived