Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pittsburgh article on the Campbell hit

bricucci

I'm really surprised at the responses on this. I thought it was a good article. Guess what? They're playing football out there! Injuries happen and it didn't look like a dirty hit. It's not his fault Campbell was sandwiched on the other side by players after the hit and I doubt he went out there with the intentions of hurting Campbell. I like the perspective of telling Steelers fans that it can it probably will happen to Big Ben at some point and you can't condemn people for things that happen in the heat of the moment. So he hit him below the waist, it was because he was on the ground. He couldn't pick himself up to hit Campbell in the chest before he released the ball. That's why he hit him in the knee like he did. If this was a Mathias Kiwanuka situation he would have been blasted for not making a play, and not doing what he's paid and trained to do, get the quarterback. Jason is fine now, it looked bad, but it's part of the game. We need to put him in situations where he's not back in the pocket for 3-4 seconds and can be vulnerable to those kinds of hits. I wish it never happened, but it didn't look dirty to me and I can't hold a grudge over it. What's done is done, let's move on.

Yeah that play looked pretty dirty. He was REALLY far away from JC when he began to lunge at his knees. Even if it was some kind of accident(like he tripped), he had WAY to much time to stop himself and just fall down instead of lunging. It was not a bang-bang play.

Lets face reality people... I don't know what game some of you guys were watching but "NFL" football has rules to protect the QB from the hit JC took. Getting a free run at the QB when your tripping over your own 2 feet, leaving ur feet to then launch your 6'5 285 lbs body at his legs in a preseason game? To be honest I dont think Pittsburg came into the game with any respect for the redskins with the hopes of looking like the tough guys, it was clear that the redskins made the steelers come out and play. The end result is a "w" in the preseason column for pittsburg but the redskins season to be honest was inches away from being over....

Let's put it this way. The punishment for hitting a QB like that is 15 yards. If the punishment was the death of all his friends and family, do you think he would have been able to find time to consider his actions?

I'll assume you said yes. If not, we'll have to agree to disagree.

:laugh:

What?

:laugh::laugh:

It was an accident. I don't think that there was anything intentional behind the hit. Clearly, Kiesel came over and apologized for the hit. It is rediculous to assume that the steelers had something to prove to the redskins is crazy. To my knowledge, there was nothing really said before the game to make it inflamatory.

By the way, Ben did suffer a hit like this back in their super bowl run against the Chargers. To me, it was an accident. I didn't like it, but I would say that it was an accident.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, and although i think it was a crappy play, i wont put Kiesel on a stake yet.

If you remember a few plays later, andre carter took a similar lunge at Worthlessberger. I think carter was more at the ankles, it was still a similar situation.

Carter jumped over a stubbling to the ground tackle that made a dirty effort to trip Carter when he was in the air, why do u think that same guy picked up carters helmet after the play? Carter didnt give up and didnt make a dirty play

I didn't get angry over the play. I was too afraid of a season ending injury to JC to even get angry at first. I hope there was no intent to do injury. The hit was bad. I couldn't tell if he could have stopped himself or not from what I saw. I had turned away after the pass was caught and didn't even know he was on the ground right away. I saw JC look to see if the pass was caught and then he grabbed his knee and rolled around on the ground and then I held my breath for about 10 seconds. Then he got up and breathed a sigh of relief for the moment. On the replays...I grabbed my own knee when I saw that...Looked like Doug Williams in the SB. I just thought...no...no...no...not this ..anything but this. But I didn't get angry w/the guy. I guess I never thought it on purpose. I think the article was telling Steeler fans to remember the words they're all saying today when this happens to Big Ben. I'm sure they're all saying we're over reacting:blahblah: . I took his last sentence to mean..remember that position when it happens to them. The rest especially about Campbell not winning a SB..so not as important to us is just plain garbage..he's just as important if not more so to this team this year. Everyone's starting QB is important to them.

Summary: "Redskins fans are wrong to be shocked and angry that their franchise QB got knocked out of the game by an unnecessary low hit in a meaningless pre-season game."

We'll see how perfectly happy and calm the writer is when Roethlisberger is potentially injured by a low blow in a pointless pre-season game.

I'm really surprised at the responses on this. I thought it was a good article. Guess what? They're playing football out there! Injuries happen and it didn't look like a dirty hit. It's not his fault Campbell was sandwiched on the other side by players after the hit and I doubt he went out there with the intentions of hurting Campbell. I like the perspective of telling Steelers fans that it can it probably will happen to Big Ben at some point and you can't condemn people for things that happen in the heat of the moment. So he hit him below the waist, it was because he was on the ground. He couldn't pick himself up to hit Campbell in the chest before he released the ball. That's why he hit him in the knee like he did. If this was a Mathias Kiwanuka situation he would have been blasted for not making a play, and not doing what he's paid and trained to do, get the quarterback. Jason is fine now, it looked bad, but it's part of the game. We need to put him in situations where he's not back in the pocket for 3-4 seconds and can be vulnerable to those kinds of hits. I wish it never happened, but it didn't look dirty to me and I can't hold a grudge over it. What's done is done, let's move on.

Ok, so is it alright to tackle someone by the head again as long as it was the only part of the player you could get at? Is it ok to horsecollar someone because that was the only part of the guy you could get a hold of? These things, along with the rule that was violated on the Campbell hit, were made illegal for very good reasons. What is the point of even having rules like these, that are designed to prevent injuries (and very often caused them), if you can just use the "well it was really the only way I could tackle the guy" reasoning? You can't rationalize someone doing it anyway just because "that's what he was closest to" or "that is the only part of the guy he could get to". It is understandable if it was inadvertent, if he was tripped up and rolled into the back of Campbell's leg. That is not what happened in any way; there is very little ambiguity if you watch it again. He lost his footing a bit, got back on track and lunged...from pretty far away...right at Campbells knee. He didn't even make an attempt to hit him farther up. "Welll.....if he had waited to get further up he wouldn't have had a chance to sack him". Tough. You didn't sack him. You got blocked and lost your footing. Sucks for you. Maybe you can get a sack on the next play. These are professional athletes who can, and do, adjust their play and reactions to the rules of the game, so there is really no excuse for what he did unless he is A) just that dense and unable to control himself or B) just doesn't care. I might go with B since, even though he apologized, he later said "it happens" while shrugging.

Carter jumped over a stubbling to the ground tackle that made a dirty effort to trip Carter when he was in the air, why do u think that same guy picked up carters helmet after the play? Carter didnt give up and didnt make a dirty play

Im pointing out the similarities. You said it, "he didnt give up". Keisel didnt give up. Im not giving the Keisel the get out of jail free card, but no NFL player will give up on a play unless they are a WR.

The hit was excessive i think because i believe he could have altered his lunge a bit to not go almost directly at JC's knees, but Carter almost did that by stumbling on the ground giving it his all to try to hit Ben.

Players always have emotions run through their mind. I was a half second too late for a sack or just missed a tackle...don't know if Keisel's intentions were too hurt JC, but it IS questionable. I remember when I played as a midget leaguer(many, many moons ago) in Takoma Park area, how we got jealous for such reasons. Just because guys say they're apologies, show and give sympathy, doesn't mean they really mean it. Haven't you all seen Varsity Blues!! Just kidding. But competition is very intense and some do not like to loose.

Lastly, JC said his foot moved while being hit by Keisel, so thankfully they were playing on grass.

In a sport where throwing your body at someone where timing is critical to the hundredths of seconds, you simply cannot stop to evaluate the situation. You simply do not have time. Coaches evaluate the situation when calling plays. Players run on instinct and training after the snap.

Add to that 300lb lineman knocking you around while you are trying to do your job, and bad hits will happen. Sure, let's kill their families. Smart idea.

If it was Griff hitting Rothlisburger, you same people would be outraged that there was even a flag.

So he was running on instinct. That's fine, but if his instinct is to lunge at a QBs knees, there's still a problem. In fact, I'd say that's even worse because it makes you wonder what the coaches are teaching their boys in Pittsburgh.

Nobody forced him towards Campbell, and he did nothing to try to stop himself.

The man made the decision to hit Campbell illegally. That's a fact. It doesn't matter if the decision was instinct, split-second or premeditated. It's still a fact.

Im pointing out the similarities. You said it, "he didnt give up". Keisel didnt give up. Im not giving the Keisel the get out of jail free card, but no NFL player will give up on a play unless they are a WR.

The hit was excessive i think because i believe he could have altered his lunge a bit to not go almost directly at JC's knees, but Carter almost did that by stumbling on the ground giving it his all to try to hit Ben.

Keiser or whatever his name is was literally untouched, shoved in the direction of campbell i might as well say it, heyer F.... up... but my point was Carter jumped over the LT who was falling out of his back pedal when the guy fell Carter jump over the guy and the guy leg wiped carter in the air, thats how he fell... i think theres a big difference there... anyway i think the redskins are lucky, nothing wrong with that cause i really looking forward to JC progress this year

Jason Campbell was injured by an intentional illegal move. That's a fact.

It doesn't matter that he wasn't trying to put Campbell in the hospital.

Are the horsecollars by Roy Williams any less dirty because of his intentions? No. It's a dirty move, and so was this.

Injuries are part of the game, but not when they come from cheap shots. That's why they make them illegal.

There was no excuse for what he did. It was wrong. Everyone knows it, and we have every right to be upset.

yes, agreed. everything i wanted to say - you said. he wasnt trying to hurt him, but yes he gave an extra burst of speed toward the side of his leg to tackle him.

So he was running on instinct. That's fine, but if his instinct is to lunge at a QBs knees, there's still a problem. In fact, I'd say that's even worse because it makes you wonder what the coaches are teaching their boys in Pittsburgh.

Nobody forced him towards Campbell, and he did nothing to try to stop himself.

The man made the decision to hit Campbell illegally. That's a fact. It doesn't matter if the decision was instinct, split-second or premeditated. It's still a fact.

That is BS. How do you know he wasn't trying to hit 10" higher at Jasons waist? It was an illegal hit and properly flagged. You seem to have a problem understanding the difference between intent and reality. Sometimes, there is a difference. The guy beat his man and wanted a sack. He doesn't have the reverence for a Skins QB like you do, but to say it is a fact that he wanted to make an illegal hit does not show up on the replay. Especially in real time. Unless you are a mind reader.

I don't know. I'm still having a bit of a time with a low hit, but more than that, is the seemingly diminishing comparison between J.C. and Ben by the author.

I realize he tripped, but I just have a hard time believing that the DE couldn't just have pulled up.

He tripped... then threw himself into Campbell's legs. I understand it is a violent sport, and the object is to sack the QB... but throwing yourself at the QB's plant knee is just dirty.

And to do that in the preseason? Very, very, very dirty. No getting around it.

That is BS. How do you know he wasn't trying to hit 10" higher at Jasons waist? It was an illegal hit and properly flagged. You seem to have a problem understanding the difference between intent and reality. Sometimes, there is a difference. .

If that DE lacks that much control, he shouldn't be playing at the professional level.

The dude is a damn fool, and it pisses me off thinking about it.

I hope something happens to Little Ben and he reports it being dirty, that way I can email him and remind him of this game, which makes it not a dirty hit on Ben.

But the thing I crack up about, is how he talked about Campbell not having a Super Bowl ring, did Ben come out in his first full year as a QB in the NFL and win a Super Bowl, or less than half a season for that matter?

Archived