Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Still Comfortable with Mark as the Backup? (Merged)

D-Day

OK supporters riddle me this,

When MB was in the games last year, did we not have a bit of a hard time moving the ball both on the ground and in the air. Why was it when JC came in the running game (without our #1 RB) blew up and Betts was getting holes I could run through. JC did not face the pressure that MB did. Why, is it that Betts is better then Portis, our line got mysteriously better, or why we could score more with a QB completing fewer passes with less of the offense at his disposal.

Could it be that the QB could and would take shots down the field and the D had to respect that?

OK supporters riddle me this,

When MB was in the games last year, did we not have a bit of a hard time moving the ball both on the ground and in the air. Why was it when JC came in the running game (without our #1 RB) blew up and Betts was getting holes I could run through. JC did not face the pressure that MB did. Why, is it that Betts is better then Portis, our line got mysteriously better, or why we could score more with a QB completing fewer passes with less of the offense at his disposal.

Could it be that the QB could and would take shots down the field and the D had to respect that?

Campbell probably helped, but he couldn't have that much.

Yep, without a doubt, Brunell is still the backup.

Surely you all remember how you wanted to cut Collins immediately after what had to be the worst single game preseason performance ever, even though he did better in later games.

Six passes against the #1 defense in the league? I'm not convinced. Brunell is still an all-pro with recent starting experience whereas Collins hasn't seen significant playing time since 1999.

Yep, without a doubt, Brunell is still the backup.

Surely you all remember how you wanted to cut Collins immediately after what had to be the worst single game preseason performance ever, even though he did better in later games.

Six passes against the #1 defense in the league? I'm not convinced. Brunell is still an all-pro with recent starting experience whereas Collins hasn't seen significant playing time since 1999.

Hey someone answered the question, I take it you are on the wait and see side, thats cool.

BTW I think whoever wanted to cut collins after that game would actually show to be correct. :silly:

I think we really need to consider letting one of the older guys go, either Brunell or Collins. If it were my decision, I'd send both packing and begin concentrating on giving Bramlett more work and developing Jordan. I'd hate to lose either Bramlett or Jordan for the sake of keeping an experienced vet that has zero future as an insurance policy. If Campbell goes down, we're in trouble no matter who they stick in there, but I believe Bramlet can manage the game as good as Brunell could, and possibly even better.

I don't see what the fuss is about.

I don't see a big difference between Brunell and Collins. Neither is going to be able to push the ball downfield at this stage in their careers. It's going to be one series of checkdowns after another. You can win like that for a game or two by running well and playing good defense. This team has shown they can do both of those things well recently.

Now...we're f'd if Campbell goes down for any length of time but then again, most teams don't have Tom Brady or Kurt Warner waiting in the wings. Take a look at Cincy and Indy's backup QBs and let me know if they're better than Collins/Brunell.

I'm far more interested in who becomes #3 because Palmer and Bramlet seem to have some upside.

Here is a thought:

What if he had lost some weight and become lighter? Wouldn't he be more of a mobile QB? I am his age too you know so this whole age thing shouldn't even be a factor. As we all know your heavy upper body can slow down your legs and your movement.

Even though he is a good QB but not very mobile and that has killed us in very critical situations in the past.

So it is not the age that matters here. It is his mobility.

I want him as our number 2 quartberack. I'm comfortable with him where as any other guy is a complete and total question mark. PLUS... some of the fans do need an excuse from time to time on any year to take their anger out about a player and MB is one of ES's favorites. ;)

I appreciate those who want to throw Brunell under the bus. They are passionate, they want a young buck with a big arm who may be the next big thing. Problem is, they haven't reasoned everything out.

Lets run through this real quick. If we release Brunell and Collins, that would leave us with Bramlet and Palmer as our back-ups, maybe we bring in Aaron Brooks. Behind Jason Cambell we would have a combined 0 years of experience in a Saunders system. If we don't bring in Brooks (who is way overrated anyway) we would also have a combined 0 years of NFL experience behind our young QB. Now they each have a stronger arm, crisper throws, greater potential, no friggin clue about the pressure of the NFL.

Imagine a moment. Its week 14, we are very much in the playoff hunt up in the 3rd quarter by a mere field goal. 5 minutes left in the game and JC has his bell rung. He is out for the game.

Who do YOU want coming in?

Would you rather have a greener than algae rookie or NFL Europe transplant step under center, listen to the opposing fans roar, see those big ole Dlinemen and LBs screaming they are going to take his head off, while we sit at home, the bar, or in the stands saying simply to our selves "Please don't f this up. Please don't f this up. You just have to successfully hand the ball off a few times. Please don't f this up"

Or would you rather have a guy who certainly does not have enough in the tank to carry us through a season, but has time and time again shown he is able to protect the ball and manage a game. A cog if you will, but a reliable cog. Watch Mark Brunell step under center and say to yourself something other than "Please don't f this up"

That is what Brunell gives us. It isn't much, ut we know what it is. For a back-up that is exactly what you want. You want someone you can count on, even if you are counting on them being mediocre.

One more point. There is no reason for us to seek out a young buck to be our #2 unless you believe JC is going to flop. JC is our QB of the future. We don't need to groom some kid for that spot.

P.S. I hope that simply using the letter f isn't considered circumventing the profanity filters, if it is just say so and I will edit my post accordingly.

Eh, it's a scrimmage. He's throwing to backups and guys he's not used to. I'll save my judgement for the preseason games and see how he does there before I do any bashing.

Hell he only threw to one guy when he started whats the difference Brunell sucks

And yes we are satisfied with Mark Booooooooooooooonell as backup. Yeah he's not JC but we are the Washington Redskins. We run the ball = we win games (when we're good).

To play for half a season would be a worry. Right now with JC healthy and you want more than an experienced non game losing QB as backup?

WTF!!!!!!!

As a starter be concerned.

As a backup what the :censored: more do you want than an experienced guy who will not lose you the game?

EDIT: Please excuse my language however I feel it is warranted. To lead us for a season, if you say MB I will say nay. To come in 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter if JC gets a concussion name me one guy who you would rather have that will sign and fit in our salary cap. Remember we can only look at a backup as a 'finish game, play next game till starter fit' type of guy.

Who do you want? Name them.

Brunell as a backup hurts us more than pretty much anybody else. Other teams know he cant throw down field so they crowd the line and stop our run game, simple as that.

I dont care if it was only the NFLE, other teams will have to at least respect the fact that Bramlet can throw down field. Even if he ran the ball 90% of the time and did 5 yard dinks (which any friggin rookie could do, much less MB) at least he POSSES a threat, which is more than could be said of MB.

Brunell as a backup hurts us more than pretty much anybody else. Other teams know he cant throw down field so they crowd the line and stop our run game, simple as that.

I dont care if it was only the NFLE, other teams will have to at least respect the fact that this guy can throw down field. Even if he ran the ball 90% of the time and did 5 yard dinks (which any friggin rookie could do, much less MB) at least he POSSES a threat, which is more than could be said of MB.

I wouldn't want MB to be starting a 2 or 3 game run (if JC were injured for example) either. I wouldn't want anyone else on our roster to come in with a 10 point lead going into the fourth quarter.

We know what MB can (and cannot - hence he is a backup not a starter) do in the NFL, meaning we can game plan for him being behind center. In theory.

EDIT: Sorry about the profanity filter evasion earlier. Not the right place, my bad.

As you can tell by the text under my screen name, I'm certainly not Brunell's biggest fan. Right now though, I think he is our best option at #2. Todd Collins makes Danny Wuerffel look like Joe Montana. The other two guys are unproven. Brunell is old, has a weak arm, and plays scared, but he's the lesser of 2 evils right now. Let's hope JC can stay healthy this year. :cheers:

What other realistic options are there? We're stuck with him through this season. The position needs to be addressed this offseason and via the draft quite possibly because the FA crop for 2008 is not very good IMO.

Right or wrong, this season will determine a lot with regard to this team's future -current player and possibly coaching structure I think if we do not win at least nine games. I think Dan realizes that the constant change has been detrimental overall to his team, but given the age and contracts involved with many players I can't imagine he would be too receptive to keeping things how they are.

I'll trust the coaches to determine if Bramlet or Palmer is worth keeping around.

you know what? after watching all of those shows about the superbowl teams on NFL network, it seems like all the people had some type of miraculous story. with that being said, if mark brunell ends up starting, we'll win the superbowl. no, there is no logic behind that statement, it would just make a good story how it was the old guys last chance to get a ring after everybody wrote him off. but don't get me wrong, i hope he never has to take the field again unless it's becase we've already clinched home field advantage through out the playoffs or we're up 50 to nothin lol.

This makes as much sense as anything else this thread has produced.

And as such I totally agree with it. If Brunell knows any poor pathetic kids sick in the hospital, it's all over. Super Bowl, baby.

~Bang

Archived