Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Still Comfortable with Mark as the Backup? (Merged)

D-Day

As far as I'm concerned, only JC and Bramlet have the capabilities of taking us to the playoffs. That puts them at #1 and #2 as far as I'm concerned.

WHAT! Bramlet had a good NFLEUROPE year, that is all the NFL wannabe players who couldn't make a roster. Do you remember Wuerful? Yeah, he burnt up NFL Europe to (yeah, yeah, I know J Dellhoume and Curt Warner played to).

Maybe next year Bramlet will be ready to be the #2, not this year. JG will not take a chance and have an unproven and inexperienced QB back up JC, not to mention, it would be a stupid move. You need to have an experienced back up who can come in if need be and knows the offense. MB has another year in him for back up, he will do fine if he has to come in.

I think we really need to consider letting one of the older guys go, either Brunell or Collins. If it were my decision, I'd send both packing and begin concentrating on giving Bramlett more work and developing Jordan. I'd hate to lose either Bramlett or Jordan for the sake of keeping an experienced vet that has zero future as an insurance policy. If Campbell goes down, we're in trouble no matter who they stick in there, but I believe Bramlet can manage the game as good as Brunell could, and possibly even better.

What planet are you living on?

Our season is over if Brunell ever has to start for an extended period of time.

He still drops back entirely too far.

He still pats the ball before he throws it.

He still will not go upfield.

The only scenario Brunell is useful would be a nonserious injury that arises to JC during the thumping of an inferior team.

Can you see Brunell leading us to victory from the jaws of defeat? Coming in and lighting it up, ripping defenses apart in games we need to win?

the kind of player you are describing is a Sonny Jurgensen off the bench circa 1972-74. no, we don't have an aging Hall of Famer on the sidelines to come in and save the day...........now tell me which teams do? :)

The Giants? Dallas? Is AJ Feeley or Kevin Kolb such a player for the Eagles? :)

the kind of player you are describing is a Sonny Jurgensen off the bench circa 1972-74. no, we don't have an aging Hall of Famer on the sidelines to come in and save the day...........now tell me which teams do? :)

The Giants? Dallas? Is AJ Feeley or Kevin Kolb such a player for the Eagles? :)

AJ Feeley has a better shot at it then MB in my opinion. Anyways no one is saying we need a Hall of Famer off the bench, we are saying we want someone who can physically throw the ball to back defenses off. You guys like to take crap to the extreme.

He's horrible. Anyone who says he's a perfect backup is nuts.

Perfect BU?......Peyton Manning:laugh:

Horrible? I like MB at #2....(ask Chicago if they wanted Brunell in the SB)

out of the other 31 teams, can you say that 15 of the #2s are better?......

If not then we are better than average

I want to take a chance on #3

Make Collins a coach

it is fine to make a statement about what the 'ideal' scenario would be. my point is that the Redskins had so much they could do in the offseason to improve their team. a certain number of draft picks and finite room under the cap.

so, like with most teams, decisions had to be made.

were the Redskins supposed to trade draft picks for a veteran backup yet again?

who was out there? Brad Johnson is 38 and hates the Redskins under Snyder. Daunte Culpepper walks with a limp. Trent Green is 37 and wanted to go to a team that would start him.

other than David Carr I can't really think of a player worth bringing in that had an upside as a backup.

so, in the end the team chose to build depth at linebacker, cornerback, safety and on the offensive line.

I'm not sure why people are calling for Bramlet to be our number 2. That makes as much sense as Art Monk not being the the HOF. Bramlet shouldn't be above the number three spot unless MB and TC get hurt. It looks like they both will be on the team for at least one year.

I'm more comfortable with Mark as the BU than with him as the starter. He has won game before for us (after he got his interception for the game out of the way), and we can rely on him not to lose the game for us if he comes in (on the other hand, I guess we can rely on him not to win it for us :doh: ).

With our oline and our run game, hopefully he would only have to manage the game for us.

But Bramlet or Palmer probably will be cut by the end of preseason. Bramlet hasn't done enough to prove he's a number two, so stop saying it. And don't say the world bowl is enough to do it. Maybe in time, but not just yet.

Neither has Palmer. One of the two will be on the PS this year.

After watching ol Mark in the scrimmage today I was wondering if anyone is ready to change their "Mark will be a great #2" stance yet.

I'm surprised that this thread is still going on.

I'm absolutely comfortable with Mark Brunell as the backup.

What's the point of continuing to question Brunell? Is there some magic backup QB out there who is available, better and/or knows the offense, that would make you feel better?

Having been at camp to watch them in person this year, I can say that Mark's arm looked strong and his throws were accurate. There was nothing weak about his throws. I was surprised and impressed.

Yes, I'm still comfortable with Mark Brunell as our backup. He's a seasoned vet, he's still somewhat mobile, and he's a proven team leader.

My only concern is that his arm has recovered sufficiently. If it hasn't then we've got Bramlet.

We had a good backup QB and traded him to the Jets. His name was Patrick Ramsey. Patrick is better than Brunell. Remember th 2005 Giants game. The QB depth chart should read: Jason Campbell, Patrick Ramsey, Casey Bramlet. Okay, we got to the paloffs with Brunell, but I am sure that I was not the only one watching the game against the Bucs and Seahawks. While we owe a small debt of gratitude to Mr. Brunell, it is obvious that he can no longer physically contribute.

Everyone was so down on Patrick and yes we probably had to let him go because at the time he still believed he could be a starter.

After last season and the scrimmage, I would even entertain the thought of obtaining Kurt Warner as the backup. He isn't as washed up as Brunell and has experience in the Al Sauders' system. Are there any other quarterbacks out there that have experience in Al's system? What was the quarterback for St.L when Bulger went down? Wasn't his name Fitzpatrick or something like that. I would even go for him rather than Brunell. He has experience in Al's system.

I have to come down on the side of those who say that at minimum we need the threat of someone who can get the ball downfield. Now if Brunell plays the way he did in overtime vs the Jaguars last year, then I could tolerate him as backup. Otherwise, lets be realistic and be prepared for the worst case scenario.

After watching ol Mark in the scrimmage today I was wondering if anyone is ready to change their "Mark will be a great #2" stance yet.

You got me there. I was an early "bench Brunell" adopter, but always said he was our best #2. I have officially gone to the "cut him" camp. He has nothing to offer this team on the field. Collins, Palmer,Bramlet, McNair and Boller all looked better than MB. He is the experienced seasoned veteran. But he cannot even sucessfully run his dink dink passes anymore. Don't want to hear about it being only a scrimmage. McNair was money. There should be nothing Brunell should have to learn about a simple scrimmage. He just doesn't have it anymore.

The young guys have more upside, even if it is unknown. MB will not take us anywhere. Whoever gives us more cap back between MB and Collins should be cut this year, the other next. I wouldn't mind mind seeing both of them gone tomorrow.

HELL NO! I am not happy about it. But so what. Until Joe Gibbs retires Brunell will forever be a Redskin. If Gibbs does not retire next year, Brunell will back up once again. Whew! I almost can't wait for Gibbs to retire just to get rid of Brunell.

I agree with you!

Archived