Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Lloyd not dwelling on poor season

bubba9497

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20070729/SPORTS01/107290065/1005/sports

click link for full article

Lloyd not dwelling on poor season

July 29, 2007

By David Elfin - Brandon Lloyd had one of the worst debuts in Washington Redskins history last season, catching just 23 passes for 365 yards and never scoring a touchdown.

His season ended with him on the inactive list with an illness. That was three weeks after he lost his starting job following a December loss to the Atlanta Falcons, when he tossed his helmet late in the game in frustration.

That kind of performance would prompt embarrassment, shock, resolve or introspection from many athletes, especially those who have a lucrative, long-term contract.

Not Lloyd.

Yesterday in his first interview since December, Lloyd said, "I have no idea" when asked why his numbers plummeted in 2006 from the previous two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers (91 catches, 1,298 yards and 11 touchdowns).

"That's what happened," said the 26-year-old receiver. "I can't control that now. It just happened. I don't know."

However, Lloyd's strenuous offseason apparently wasn't prompted by his abysmal fall, but rather by his relative lack of shape in previous summers.

"I just wanted to be stronger and faster and getting bigger was kind of a byproduct," said Lloyd, who added eight pounds to a thin frame that's listed as 6-foot, 200 pounds. "I worked out six days a week at 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. with a personal trainer. I never worked out in the offseason [in the past]. I wanted to be in better shape coming into [May's organized team activities]. I'm not using this camp to get in shape [like] I did in the past."

Lloyd also started this camp as a backup not only to 2005 Pro Bowl selection Santana Moss but also to fellow 2006 addition Antwaan Randle El.

Al Saunders, who has coached Hall of Famers Kellen Winslow and Charlie Joiner as well as Wes Chandler, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce said Lloyd "has as much talent catching the ball as probably any guy I've been around."

But that's not good enough now.

"Antwaan is the starter right now, and Brandon is backing him up because that's the way it ended last year," Saunders said.

Moss said that he hasn't lost faith in Lloyd.

Niceeee...My boy's a falcons fan and he told me that last year that Lloyd was a horrible pick-up and I told him I think he's wrong and that I think Lloyd has Aas much talent as T.O did in San Fran and if we could just get him to tap into that he'd be rediculous. But Lloyd proved to my boy right on the first season... Hopefully I will be the one right in the end.

I don't think Lloyd has a bad attitude I just think he's competitive and anyone who has ever played sports knows you can let your attitude get the worse of you when you're losing sometimes... I don't hold nothing against him I just want him to do his thang thang.

Lloyd is a player that commanded double teams just 2 seasons ago on an atrocius 49ers team. We played that team (and beat them 52-17 or something like that). But Lloyd was the only respectable player. To find out that he was a shining player on a very bad team, without putting in an offseason of working out, is actually good to hear.

We all know Santana is a legitimate home run threat and highly respected athlete league-wide. Imagine if a physically-improved B. Lloyd, who was already considered a gifted-athlete and now is in his 2nd season of a proven NFL powerhouse offense, puts together a season for the ages. He's in the best shape of his life, has literally transformed his body, is a new father, and has a year under his belt in Al Saunders' high-octane offense. Could we have a "diamond in the rough"? This could be a well-kept secret... one without monstrous expecations like last season....

I think he's just an idiot that can't possibly comprehend the concept of team play. Add that to the fact that he isn't nearly as talented as TO and you have a benchwarmer.

Hopefully he learns the routes and puts himself into position to make plays this year. Improvization comes after you know every intricate detail of the offense. It seems that some of our playmakers thought they knew better last year, Lloyd being among them.

B Lloyd just wasn't ready last year, plain and simple. I hope he has a good year, but I will never forget when he dropped Campbell's first past. I felt so embarrassed for him. A good 07 season will kill that though.

Watch the Saunders interview. He talks about that play in major detail. It wasn't really Lloyd's fault, although you'd like to see him make the spectacular catch he's known for. Can't get too down on him for that one though. :)

I suspect that the only thing Lloyd dwells on is his own reflection in a mirror. How can he not know why he had such a poor season? That's why athletes look at film.

I don't like him as a player because he's not a team guy. I think he blames others for his own poor performance last season. If anyone has something to prove this season, it would be Lloyd.

I'd rather he shut his mouth and work harder so Santana and Cooley aren't the only receiving threats out there. Don't tell me you're disappointed. Get your @$$ back out there and put up some numbers.

All in good time. So far, he seems to have demonstrated that he is in fact, willing to work harder to help the team out. His obvious conditioning coming into camp is evidence of this,( a dramatic change of pace for him to say the least). Now camp has started and so far, reports seem to be positive about how he's doing so far. Saunders believes he's a very talented receiver so that's a plus I would think right there. Next thing up, is to step it up at game time. And that's still a little down the road. If he continues to do what he's done so far, then there's hope he will rebound.

I suspect that the only thing Lloyd dwells on is his own reflection in a mirror. How can he not know why he had such a poor season? That's why athletes look at film.

I think the reason he said that he doesn't know was because he was caught off guard. No one wants to admit that they didn't prepare for the season or show any lack of motivation. Obviously, he's maturing and realizing that he needs to take the offseason seriously so that he can harness his potential. He really is extremely talented, but much like Antonio Bryant, he needs to an attitude adjustment, and it looks like that adjustment is taking place.

I think Lloyd will come back with good performances this year. I think he's going to focus on what is needed to be a starter, and one of those things is understanding what offensive schemes requirements of his role.

I suspect Lloyd can hold off Bradford, just on youthful talent and greater knowledge of the Saunders WR schemes. And Lloyd has got to be motivated, -- I can't imagine Brandon wants to slide to #4 WR and wind up on the special teams.

<Sipping the Kool-Aid> Frankly, I think Lloyd might even be able to win back his #2 WR role!

I think he's just an idiot that can't possibly comprehend the concept of team play. Add that to the fact that he isn't nearly as talented as TO and you have a benchwarmer.

Hopefully he learns the routes and puts himself into position to make plays this year. Improvization comes after you know every intricate detail of the offense. It seems that some of our playmakers thought they knew better last year, Lloyd being among them.

Ah, the diversity of opinions. I love it. :)

Players that can't comprehend the concept of team play don't bother sacrificing their body by throwing blocks for their teammates. When I think of players that can't comprehend the concept of team play, I think of players like TO and Randy Moss.

Also, maybe I misunderstood the statement, but just because Lloyd may not be as talented as TO doesn't mean he is a "benchwarmer."

Archived