Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Pictures: The strangest sights on Google Earth

China

nice pics.

As someone from the european area of this world I dont get this surrender crap with France. WWI - lost millions of men fighting against Germany. Didnt surrender as far as I recall, were still in there on the last day.

WWII - well, I guess we may as well make a list of countries that were wacked by Germany between '39 and '41. I think my memory serves me well when I say that in 1940 there were only two full armies fighting Hitler in Northern France in early 1940. Britain and France. We BOTH got our ass kicked. We got lucky and somehow managed to get out. France was pretty much nailed. Sure they had people in Government that ended up supporting Germany but such is the way of things with people who see an 'opportunity'. Plenty of Free French signed up and fought for the allies and of course there was the famous Resistance. I could get some people upset and ask them where their country was when we and the French were getting wiped out in Northern France in 1940?

• 5 years later...
Yeah the whole "LOL FRANCE ARE WUSSIES LOLOL" is a bit overdone. Weren't the French actually somewhat instrumental in our victory in the Revolutionary War?

Somewhat. :ols:

And while it's a sidetrack from the thread topic, the French losses in World War I were devastating.

Over 15% of the population were killed or injured over the course of just four years. In terms of the modern US population, that would be about 47 million dead or maimed.

But it it so easy and safe. Not like their gonna fight back.

:rotflmao:

Maybe if they weren't so arrogant and didn't take every opportunity to undermine and talk badly about us I would be more reluctant to make fun of them but as it is... ****'em.

:evilg:

Back on topic... I'm kind of disappointed. While there are lots of interesting pics there, most of them aren't very strange. Part 2 has some good ones however....

200803-city-boat-cropped_slide.jpg

as well as the slide show of 15 Google Earth and Street View Mysteries...

214984-pliers_inthe_sky_slide.jpg

KFC-logo.png

MapvertisingCredit: Digital Globe, Google Considering the number of people who troll Google Earth in their free time, it isn't surprising that enormous advertisements have started popping up in remote areas for their viewing pleasure—a concept known as "mapvertising." The world's largest Coca-Cola logo, for example, can be seen on a hillside in Chile; it is said to be made of 70,000 empty coke bottles. A 87,500-square-foot picture of Colonel Sanders — the KFC logo— appears at 37.646163° N, 115.750819° W just off Extraterrestrial Highway in Nevada.

• 3 months later...

Google's phantom island may have 19th-century roots

sandyisland.jpg

A Kiwi librarian may have discovered the origin of a nonexistent island that's been outfoxing cartographers for more than a century.

Sandy Island, still visible as a Manhattan-size void in the Coral Sea on Google Earth, was officially "undiscovered" last week after a group of Australian scientists gingerly navigated their research vessel directly through the spot where it should have been.

The researchers, who were on an expedition to study plate tectonics, decided to make a detour to Sandy Island after noticing that their ship's navigation charts made no mention of it, even though it showed up on both Google Earth and the world coastline database.

"We all had a good giggle at Google as we sailed through the island," Steven Micklethwaite, a scientist at the University of Western Australia who was on the voyage, told the Sydney Morning Herald. "Then we started compiling information about the seafloor, which we will send to the relevant authorities so that we can change the world map."

Shaun Higgins, an intrepid librarian at the Auckland Museum in New Zealand, caught wind of the story and started digging through the museum's map collection to try to find out when and where the island first entered the Western imagination, as detailed on the museum's blog.

The earliest mention of the island Higgins found was on a chart created by the Hydrographic Office of the British Admiralty in 1875 and last updated in 1908.

The chart, which can be seen on the museum's Flickr page, shows the same lens-shaped island west of New Caledonia that's depicted on Google Earth. The landmass was already called Sandy Island and was designated as the 1876 discovery of a ship named Velocity.

But R.C. Carrington, the chart's author, warned seafarers that the document might not be completely accurate. A disclaimer on the sea chart reads: "Caution is necessary while navigating among the low lying islands of the Pacific Ocean. The general details have been collated from the voyages of various navigators extending over a long series of years. The relative position of many dangers may therefore not be exactly given."

Click on the link for the full article

Archived