Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kris Jenkins

TGibson810

Sounds like we've got some real skeptics about this issue. I am taking my camera to my practice where Kris, and possibly Shawne Merriman, who is also trained by Star fitness here in Maryland, (go ahead and look that up), have told their trainer that they are coming by today. So I will talk to Kris myself and try to get the scoop. I don't know how much he will talk to me because I'm not a reporter and I don't have credentials, but as having a close mutual friend, maybe he will shed some light unto the comments made over 6 years ago, and where his mindset is now.

Any update dude?

Another article regarding Jenkins. I didn't see it posted. Basically he wants a new deal. He's under contract for 3 more years at an everage of 3.29 million per year. He wants up front money. Has missed more games due to injury (27) then has played in (21) since 2004.

How much you all willing to "give" him? Monster or not, is he really worth it? As much as I would like him here, I am tired of over paying for guys.

http://www.gastongazette.com/onset?id=5403&template=article.html

in all likelihood the Redskins would have to give up at least a #2 pick in 2008 for Jenkins if he passes his physical and comes to camp with the Panthers.

Carolina is not going to just release a player of his caliber unless physically he is incapable of being a starter again in the NFL.

The trouble is I don't always trust our front office to make the RIGHT call when the time comes when players like Jenkins become available.

Beathard used to grab these players for mid round picks and they would go on to be 3-4 year performers for us on playoff squads.

He knew which guys could help and which were done.

Cerrato and Co.........do they have a good feel for evaluating a vet like Jenkins?

Well, they hit on Todd Wade last year so there is a bit of hope :)

Sounds like we've got some real skeptics about this issue. I am taking my camera to my practice where Kris, and possibly Shawne Merriman, who is also trained by Star fitness here in Maryland, (go ahead and look that up), have told their trainer that they are coming by today.

Looking forward to the pics. Merriman is definitely around, I saw him in the College Park Mcdonalds last thursday morning. I know a lot of the MD football guys come back and train here in the offseason.

As far as picking up Jenkins, that would be a great addition in my opinion. Assuming he would play for us and we didn't have to give away a high draft pick. I had definitely heard that he said he hates the Redskins but maybe he's come around or maybe he just wants the dollars.

Looking forward to the pics. Merriman is definitely around, I saw him in the College Park Mcdonalds last thursday morning. I know a lot of the MD football guys come back and train here in the offseason.

As far as picking up Jenkins, that would be a great addition in my opinion. Assuming he would play for us and we didn't have to give away a high draft pick. I had definitely heard that he said he hates the Redskins but maybe he's come around or maybe he just wants the dollars.

Maybe we can give him some double cheeseburgers - he might go for that!

i don't know if working out religiously would help him. I mean, have all his injuries been due to his not being in shape? If he is healthy and can be had a a bargain price, I'm all for bringing him on board. No big money deal for this guy though, imho.

Yeah, Im kinda interested now too. These pics would validate everything being said like he wants to be here and ect.

No they would not the only thing they would validate is this guy knows where they work out. I'll believe it when I see him sign a contract or this guy post a recording of Jenkins saying anything remotely close to wanting to be a skin. Or in the picture if he can get him to where a redskins hat with a thumbs up :)

i

Beathard used to grab these players for mid round picks and they would go on to be 3-4 year performers for us on playoff squads.

Bobby made his coin as a talent picker for the Redskins with the drafts in 1979 (Don Warren, Rich Milot, Monte Coleman), 1981 (May, Grimm, Manley, Brown, Kubin, Grant, Didier), and, to a lesser extent, 1983 (Green, Mann and Bryant). Of these, only Mann, Grimm and Warren could be considered mid-rounders. The rest of his drafts sucked except the 1 or 2 he found. Overall, his hit rate was less than 4 out of 10 and without those big drafts was less than a 200 hitter. Another big impact he had as GM was his selection of a head coach. He found some damn good guys off the trash heaps (Bostic). He also had some really good UDFAs (Olkewicz, Jacoby, Kaufman). Finally, one of his greatest skills was trading draft choices.

You can't make the case that his draft, UDFA successes and trash heap finds were all on him. How much of his success was due to the fact that these guys were surrounded by good players from day 1? How much effect did one Joe Gibbs have?

Bobby made his coin as a talent picker for the Redskins with the drafts in 1979 (Don Warren, Rich Milot, Monte Coleman), 1981 (May, Grimm, Manley, Brown, Kubin, Grant, Didier), and, to a lesser extent, 1983 (Green, Mann and Bryant). Of these, only Mann, Grimm and Warren could be considered mid-rounders. The rest of his drafts sucked except the 1 or 2 he found. Overall, his hit rate was less than 4 out of 10 and without those big drafts was less than a 200 hitter. Another big impact he had as GM was his selection of a head coach. He found some damn good guys off the trash heaps (Bostic). He also had some really good UDFAs (Olkewicz, Jacoby, Kaufman). Finally, one of his greatest skills was trading draft choices.

You can't make the case that his draft, UDFA successes and trash heap finds were all on him. How much of his success was due to the fact that these guys were surrounded by good players from day 1? How much effect did one Joe Gibbs have?

Dont forget about him draftin Darrel Green out of nowhere in the late first round in 83. No one even knew who he was. Draft Mark Rypken in the 6th round in 86. Then the man went to the sorry chargers and turn them into a superbowl contender. That man got some good players here. If gibbs ego didnt get in they way we would have had more dominant teams.

Dont forget about him draftin Darrel Green out of nowhere in the late first round in 83. No one even knew who he was. Draft Mark Rypken in the 6th round in 86. Then the man went to the sorry chargers and turn them into a superbowl contender. That man got some good players here. If gibbs ego didnt get in they way we would have had more dominant teams.

I talked about the 1983 draft as one of his three great drafts as GM (1979, 1981 and 1983). By the way, in the summer of 1982, you'll find no one considered those great drafts (in fact, many people criticized those drafts in a way similar to how our last three drafts are criticized now).

I mentioned Green but the post I was responding to specifically mentioned finding guys in the mid-rounds; Green was definitely NOT a mid-rounder. Also, he was well-known and wasn't a "find". The only reason he was avaiable was that he was small. He had the numbers but people were scared of his size, that was the only risk (in fact, had he been a couple of inches taller and 10-15 lbs. heavier, it was certain that'd he'd have gone in the top-10). By the way, Mann was thought to be smallish for a DE else he would not have been available either. Manley was a risk that paid off (all evidence shows that if it hadn't been for questions about his size and character, he'd have gone in the first 2 or 3 rounds!). He took some risks in picking guys and the fact that they worked out is most likely because of a coaching staff willing to work and play these guys (the 1981 and 1983 teams had Joe Gibbs and his team) or these guys were already surrounded by good talent (the 1979 and 1981 teams were already talented mostly due to Allen, trades that Betheard engineered and trash heap finds). Further, I mentioned that he found good players over the other years but only in ones or twos but so did Casserly, Schott and a lot of other guys. Many time, those guys were NOT mid-rounders, and a couple of times, no one was found. Rypien was a late-rounder not a mid-rounder and, again, the assumption that Bobby found mid-rounders all the time what I was responding to. I also stated I was only considering his time with the Redskins but even if you look over his whole history, his skill was finding good head coaches (Gibbs with the Redskins and Ross with the Chargers), finding players off other team trash heaps and trading-picks; NOT in mid-round drafting which is what is was responding to. The San Diego team he took over had many of the pieces already in place, it was primarily a team looking for a player or two and a coach. In fact, the situation was somewhat similar to the situation that the Redskins were in whan he found Gibbs (a talented team in search of a coach).

I never said Bobby wasn't good, only that his skill was not finding talent through the draft. I admitted that he had some good drafts, but mostly he had ones that were average or below. Evidence shows that he wasn't much better at it than average. As to your last statement, evidence shows you to be wrong or, at best, that no real conclusion can be reached.

I talked about the 1983 draft as one of his three great drafts as GM (1979, 1981 and 1983). By the way, in the summer of 1982, you'll find no one considered those great drafts (in fact, many people criticized those drafts in a way similar to how our last three drafts are criticized now).

I mentioned Green but the post I was responding to specifically mentioned finding guys in the mid-rounds; Green was definitely NOT a mid-rounder. Also, he was well-known and wasn't a "find". The only reason he was avaiable was that he was small. He had the numbers but people were scared of his size, that was the only risk (in fact, had he been a couple of inches taller and 10-15 lbs. heavier, it was certain that'd he'd have gone in the top-10). By the way, Mann was thought to be smallish for a DE else he would not have been available either. Manley was a risk that paid off (all evidence shows that if it hadn't been for questions about his size and character, he'd have gone in the first 2 or 3 rounds!). He took some risks in picking guys and the fact that they worked out is most likely because of a coaching staff willing to work and play these guys (the 1981 and 1983 teams had Joe Gibbs and his team) or these guys were already surrounded by good talent (the 1979 and 1981 teams were already talented mostly due to Allen, trades that Betheard engineered and trash heap finds). Further, I mentioned that he found good players over the other years but only in ones or twos but so did Casserly, Schott and a lot of other guys. Many time, those guys were NOT mid-rounders, and a couple of times, no one was found. Rypien was a late-rounder not a mid-rounder and, again, the assumption that Bobby found mid-rounders all the time what I was responding to. I also stated I was only considering his time with the Redskins but even if you look over his whole history, his skill was finding good head coaches (Gibbs with the Redskins and Ross with the Chargers), finding players off other team trash heaps and trading-picks; NOT in mid-round drafting which is what is was responding to. The San Diego team he took over had many of the pieces already in place, it was primarily a team looking for a player or two and a coach. In fact, the situation was somewhat similar to the situation that the Redskins were in whan he found Gibbs (a talented team in search of a coach).

I never said Bobby wasn't good, only that his skill was not finding talent through the draft. I admitted that he had some good drafts, but mostly he had ones that were average or below. Evidence shows that he wasn't much better at it than average. As to your last statement, evidence shows you to be wrong or, at best, that no real conclusion can be reached.

I would take Bobby Beatheard over Cerrato any day in the millennium.

yeah a lot of players that want big pay days want to come to Washington lol.

We have got to change that culture if we ever want to be winners again. I a all for an Owner spending money....but a more wise approach to the whole operation would be grand. I just want another Superbowl before I die...maybe 2...LOL!

Whats wrong with being known as the team that pays? It makes every free agent want to come here. It's a good thing people, relax about it and be grateful. At least we ain't the Bills.

Us losing to the cowboys 10 consecutive times is whats wrong with it. Sheesh, and our teams stink thats why.

Archived