Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clemens is a Yankeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

TODD

Racist because I dislike basketball or the supposed structure? :laugh: I have no clue what you mean by "structure" as my knowledge of basketball stops at 7 foot freaks throwing a large ball ay a hoop ad infinitum. To me it seems a sport for people with 5 second memories or people who get excited very easily.

"HE SCORED A HOOP...WOW....YAY!"

2.89 seconds later:

"HE SCORED A HOOP....YIPEEE...WOW!"

2.14 seconds after that

"DID YOU SEE THAT? HE SCORED A HOOP...JUST AMAZING!"

:laugh:

Pitcher throws to first

Pitcher throws to first

Pitcher throws to first

Ball 1

Ball 2

Strike 1

Ball 3

Srike 2

Foul Ball

Foul Ball

Pitcher throws to first

Pitcher throws to first

Foul Ball

Ball 4;walk.

Horray that only took five minutes.

Let's do it over again for another 3 hours and then another effing 160 more games.

I'm not suprised since the Astros didn't looks like real contenders. The funny thing is how thrilled Yankee fans are, since many attacked him after he "retired" then signed with the Astros a few years ago. They were really bitter back then. I guess when Coulter Bean is getting big innings for your team, you'll look past any misginings from the Rocket.

Plus 27 Million (after the pro-rated salary + 17% Luxury tax) is still better spent than 42 million on Carl Pavano. How did that work out Yanks fans?! :silly:

New rule 1: If you like basketball, post in the basketball thread. If you don't like basketball, do not post/hijack the basketball thread as you will provide no valuable input.

New rule 2: If you like baseball, post in the baseball thread. If you don't like baseball, do not post/hijack the baseball thread as you will provide no valuable input.

I dont get this deal.

For that kind of money, the Yankees could have bought Dontrell from the Marlins.

Doesnt make any sense to me.

I am happy though, I can now go back to hoping Clemens get's a ball rocketed into his eyesocket.

According to calculations by a baseball writer in my local paper, Clemens stands to make about $7500 per pitch. :laugh:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mikeb07may07,0,5273884.column?coll=sfla-sports-front

BERARDINO: Clemens' $28 million deal boggles mind

Mike Berardino

Sports columnist

May 7, 2007

MIAMI GARDENS · The familiar drawl was booming from all corners of the Padres clubhouse Sunday afternoon.

A group of players gathered around each television, slack-jawed as they heard the details of this latest Rocket re-launch.

Roger Clemens officially was back with the Yankees, a development that should surprise no one. Not with their starting rotation in a million little pieces.

Yet, the particulars of the four-month contract Boss Steinbrenner just gave his old powerlifting partner certainly boggled the mind.

According to reports, the Winningest Pitcher Alive will earn the prorated portion of $28 million. If he joins the arm-weary Bombers by June 1, he will pocket roughly $18.5 million this season, or about $750,000 per start.

Viewed another way, he could make $7,500 per pitch.

Hearing this, David Wells' eyes grew wide.

"Hey, Kevin," Wells shouted across the room to Padres General Manager Kevin Towers. "I want a raise."

Towers laughed. Everybody did.

But what if Clemens, who has 348 wins and turns 45 in August, is opening the door for other 40-somethings to extend their careers as part-time contributors?

You know, show up at midseason, take selected road trips and return home for quality time with the family between starts?

What if his repeated success as a baseball dabbler pokes holes in the long-held sanctity of the marathon season: spring training, six-month regular schedule and, ultimately, the playoffs?

If Clemens can operate this way, why not Jamie Moyer with the Phillies, Tom Glavine and El Duque with the Mets, Wells and Greg Maddux with the Padres?

Maybe even Brett Favre could give it a try with the Packers.

Just don't let Shaquille O'Neal get wind of this.

What's that? He's already doing it? Oh, right.

"Roger might set the tone for the 40-and-above guys," Wells said of his former Yankee teammate. "Hey, I might do it. He's a smart businessman."

In the next breath, however, the hefty lefty caught himself. No, the 231-game winner said, he couldn't follow the Clemens plan after all.

It's not just that Wells turns 44 in two weeks or that he was recently diagnosed with diabetes. It has more to do with the ballplayer's code that requires you to show up day after day throughout the endless grind.

"I don't think I would ever do it because of the fact I personally think it would disrespect the team and your teammates," Wells said. "You look at the other players. How are they going to respect you? What are they going to think if you're not there pulling for the team?"

Maddux, while expressing his deep respect for Clemens, said he couldn't accept the part-time plan either. At age 41 he is just 13 wins behind the Rocket and signed through next year, but when a full year is too much to bear, he will take it to the house.

"I can't imagine doing that," Maddux said. "I like the game. I like the atmosphere. I appreciate what it has to offer. I want to play the whole year."

That used to be a Yankees requirement. That philosophy, along with geography, was a major reason Clemens spent his past three "unretirements" in an Astros uniform.

At first blush, Wells predicted Clemens would "have to go on every trip unless the Yankees have changed their policy."

Ah, but these are desperate days for the Yankees, who have already lost five of six to the hated Red Sox and have been losing pitchers faster than Don Imus lost sponsors. Baseball's flagship franchise hasn't made it back to the World Series since the Marlins stunned it in 2003.

You remember Clemens' first retirement party, of course. Happened at Dolphin Stadium.

Now the Yankees are bending their rules and rolling out the pinstriped carpet for the best pitcher of this and maybe any other generation.

"That's not the Yankee way," Wells said, shaking his head. "The Yankees have changed."

What hasn't changed is Clemens' ability to make hitters look silly, not to mention the ability of his agents, the famed Hendricks brothers, to maximize the market for his services.

That's why Clemens did that mating dance with the Red Sox this spring. That's why he kept his options open back home in Texas. And that's why he ended up getting exactly what he wanted from the Yankees.

"More power to him," Maddux said. "Whatever. It's Roger Clemens. Let him be happy. Maybe he'll help the Yankees win some more games."

At $7,500 a pitch, he'd better do a lot more than that.

Mike Berardino can be reached at mberardino@sun-sentinel.com.

:laugh: :laugh:

plus the reason he was so good in the national league is because he switched leagues and they were not used to him, his last year in NY he wasn't unhittable :)

the Yanks are deseperate and I love it :)

Exactly, a desperate move by a desperate team. Hey Cashman and Torre may as well go out with a bang I guess.

New rule 1: If you like basketball, post in the basketball thread. If you don't like basketball, do not post/hijack the basketball thread as you will provide no valuable input.

New rule 2: If you like baseball, post in the baseball thread. If you don't like baseball, do not post/hijack the baseball thread as you will provide no valuable input.

Now that is an intelligent post. Thanks. :cheers:

:yawnee:

And this important why? The fact that the Yankees are depending on a 40+ year old pitcher to be their savoir is comical.

As a card carying Yankee hater, I can't wait to see this fail and for them to end the season out of the playoffs.

Interesting.

Anyone who's just a freak of nature and excells at baseball past a certain age is automatically a sterioid user.

There hasn't been anything as strong as Bonds' link to steroids that links Clemens to them.

It's a fair question. Clemons pitching career actually got better after he left boston in the early 1990's for Canada. In Clemons last three years in Boston 1993-1996 he was a mediocre 40-39. He was barely above 500 winning percentage. I remember reading an editorial back then saying Clemons would never win 300 games and was unlikely to make the hall of fame. Clemons had won 194 games in 12 years in Boston. In 1996 his manager said he was in the "Twilight of his career". He goes to Toronto and wins the next two pitching tripple crowns and cy young awards. ( Clemon's currently has 7 ).

The problem with the steroid theory is that Clemons isn't the only split finger fast ball pitcher to pitch well into his late 40's. There have been quite a few big men power pitchers to accomplish the feet. Nolan Ryan comes to mind.

Anyway. I love Clemons and hope he wins two more Cy Youngs.. I hate the yankee's but I root for Roger...

^^^^^

Let's not forget how horrible of a pitcher's park Fenway is and how great of a pitcher's park Skydome.

Speaking of Skydome - remember when it opened? It was state-of-the-art, beautiful and the 'future' of all stadiums. It already seems ancient. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

plus the reason he was so good in the national league is because he switched leagues and they were not used to him, his last year in NY he wasn't unhittable :)

the Yanks are deseperate and I love it :)

Hey Jbooma.... wasn't McGrady/Ming supposed to win the title this year? Aren't they destined to win multiple NBA championships together?

Dude, you're wrong so often, it's not even amusing any more. You have like, zero credibility on any subject.

Hey Jbooma.... wasn't McGrady/Ming supposed to win the title this year? Aren't they destined to win multiple NBA championships together?

Dude, you're wrong so often, it's not even amusing any more. You have like, zero credibility on any subject.

No DH if you could read sometime I said in the future McGrady/Ming could win a title, that is what I said :)

Just be honest and say you have been down because of how the Yankees are playing, it is ok :laugh:

No DH if you could read sometime I said in the future McGrady/Ming could win a title, that is what I said :)

Just be honest and say you have been down because of how the Yankees are playing, it is ok :laugh:

You mean winning 5 of their last 6 (plus winning tonight), with a pitching staff that is somehow holding together, getting healthy, and about to get Roger Clemens? Yeah, I'm sure he's all broke up over that.

I'm not suprised since the Astros didn't looks like real contenders. The funny thing is how thrilled Yankee fans are, since many attacked him after he "retired" then signed with the Astros a few years ago. They were really bitter back then. I guess when Coulter Bean is getting big innings for your team, you'll look past any misginings from the Rocket.

Kind of how most Skins fans are with Fred Smoot being back. He left for money and people bicthed. Now, he is back and he is awesome again. Welcome to the life of a fan. You hate when players leave a team and welcome them back when they rejoin. It happens.

Boom,

The mere fact that you are stretching for ways to bash the Yanks just proves that you are starting to worry. How are the Yanks desperate when your BoSox tried to get Roger as well? What does that make Bahston? Just because The Boss has more dollars to toss around? If so, then you are stretching. Please, don't pull anything with all of that stetching.

Boom,

The mere fact that you are stretching for ways to bash the Yanks just proves that you are starting to worry. How are the Yanks desperate when your BoSox tried to get Roger as well? What does that make Bahston? Just because The Boss has more dollars to toss around? If so, then you are stretching. Please, don't pull anything with all of that stetching.

You do know the Yanks lost tonight, i guess all that momentum is gone :laugh: :laugh:

I agree we tried to get Roger but at somewhat of a reasonable cost, he is not worth the money you are paying for and you know it. He might get 24 starts and maybe 10 wins, if that. Plus everyone forgets his era the last time in the AL was 3.91 and now it may be about 4.2 :)

You do know the Yanks lost tonight, i guess all that momentum is gone :laugh: :laugh:

Stretching again? What does that have to do with Clemens? Was Clemens pitching and I missed it?

I agree we tried to get Roger but at somewhat of a reasonable cost, he is not worth the money you are paying for and you know it. He might get 24 starts and maybe 10 wins, if that. Plus everyone forgets his era the last time in the AL was 3.91 and now it may be about 4.2 :)

What does money have to do with anything? Will it hamper the Yanks from getting another player if they wish? You are just mad that your owner tried to get someone and yet again.. he lost to Steinbrenner. :D

Crying is ok, really. It will make you feel better.

Stretching again? What does that have to do with Clemens? Was Clemens pitching and I missed it?

What does money have to do with anything? Will it hamper the Yanks from getting another player if they wish? You are just mad that your owner tried to get someone and yet again.. he lost to Steinbrenner. :D

You are the one who brought up money, and last i checked the problem with the yanks is middle relief not just starting pitching.

I am glad my team did not shell out a ton for an aging player that has not even practiced this year, and might be saving the money for someone who can help now and years down the road.

I am glad my team did not shell out a ton for an aging player that has not even practiced this year, and might be saving the money for someone who can help now and years down the road.

Nope. You just shelled out a ton of money for a Japanese player that is getting smacked around more than Tina Turner when Ike was on a bender.

Jesus, I knew the Red Sox were obsessed with the Yankees, but this is a little ridiculous. The top stories from redsox.com:

RED SOX UPDATE

• Red Sox mailbag: Who starts at second?

Red Sox confident without Clemens

• Red Sox 'pen holds down Twins for Schilling

Bauman: Rocket return helps both sides

Statement from Red Sox on Clemens

Clemens announces return to Yanks

• Red Sox notes: Manny gets some rest

• Ian Browne's MLBlog | Dice-K coverage

• More Headlines | Post a Red Sox blog

• RSS News Feeds

Archived