Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mort on NFL Live: 'Skins and Bears are now talking...

wilbur58z

terpfan/sekhmet187. Thanks for the info.

I didn't realize it was over the franchise tag. The Redskins have a habit of signing players to big up-front money deals and having them rework the contract later in the options. Not that that is the same as franchizing a player, but I would imagine Briggs might eventually harbor the same resentment toward the Skins if we sign him now and ask to rework the deal in 2009 when his base salary would $10M or so...

I agree with Skin_Patrol on the character issues. I realize that players hate the franchise tag, but the way he handled it was a bit telling. I'm also wondering how he is going to help us with our horrible pass rush. He is a 4-3 OLB not 3-4 and his stats show that he wasn't used that way much in Chicago.

I would tend to agree.

If you don't have a man crush on Branch, CJ, Adams or Okoye you realize Washington gets a proven player at a position that isn't a strength on defense. They get younger, so it builds the defense for the future. Meaning you'd have Taylor, Rogers, Carter, McIntosh, Briggs, and Smoot who are all pretty young with at least 4-5 seasons left.

Then you can select at #31, a great potential player at DE or DT. Or even trade down again and pick up maybe a 3rd or 4th, to get a DE and DT plus a S or OG.

It makes a lot of sense, however, I think Washington should try and get another 4th or 5th along with Briggs and the 1st.

Either way, good deal IMO.

I love you man, seriously

I do.

This is not a domesday trade as everyone is putting it. We still stay in the first round and remember this is a very deep draft on the DL. Plus if we are so inclined we can trade next years #1 for another early second. Welcome Grubbs to fix the OL, Merriweather or nelson at SS, Johnson, Tyler or any # of good DL players.

Closer to Draft Day = More Desperation on Chicago's Part

Meaning we get more.

If our FO does not see that WE hold all the cards on this one and that our #6 will do nothing but go up in value between now and Draft day than our FO is about as dumb as just about everyone on this board says they are. And I might start thinking that too.

If we have to have him, I say wait until draft day, trade down from #6 and pick up a 2nd/3rd rounder and move down to about #10-#12. Then offer that pick for the #31 and Briggs. That would be the smart way to do it. you're right, we hold all the cards and we don't have to ante up just yet.

Not good enough. They want that #6 pick and have a player who won't show up.

I want their 3rd rounder also.

I think most fans would agree with you, I would do the deal but not yet, let Chicago sweeten the pot a bit with their 3rd or hopefully 2nd round pick. They have two of them including our old 2nd.

Personally, I think that trading our #1 for their #1 plus Briggs is a fair deal. I just question if that's what our team needs.

:applause: Exactly

Now if Briggs was a 3rd year vet, who made 2 pro bowls, and his position was DE or CB I'd say pull the trigger.

This whole Briggs thing reminds of Will Witherspoon last year. He came from Carolina (after playing behind that DLine) and signed a huge FA contract with St. Louis, granted he had a good year he certainly was not the dominant force everyone thought he was going to be. The difference between St. Louis and Carolina are the Defensive Lines. I believe Witherspoon might have played out of position but still he did not have the year everyone was expecting him to have due to his defensive surroundings (see line play)...

What I hate about the possibility of this is the Skins are again going out and spending huge on someone elses headache when they should be working on getting a deal done with Cooley who's one of the more productive and vastly underpaid players on this team. Briggs is crying about making over $7 mil next year, so the Skins are going to save him? Poor guy. I think it's ridiculous. And having as much invested in LBs as they'll have, if this happens, will be insane.

how come the bears can use our disinterest in arch as leverage against us, but we can't use brigg's stance against the bears as leverage against them? come on! why can't we get a mcgahee type deal? why can't the redskins underpay for a disgruntled player? .....answer-because danny boy doesn't have a poker face. I mean we weren't even looking for a LB and after the bears pitched briggs danny boy is walking around w/ a hard on talking to anyone who'll listen to him go on about his new man crush. WTF. He means well and i like how he spends money, but he needs to get out of personal decisions.

Isn't Briggs a Sam? Don't we already have a decent Sam? So we got a great Sam, getting another great Sam, got a great mike this year and a young promising Will. Why two Sams? Are we going to play 2CanSam? I just don't get this at all. CG and JS need help. We need a strong safety. I don't understand and would rather get Calvin.

Briggs is one helluva tough player and outstanding linebacker ...at least he was for the Bears. I really think he was their BEST LB. Question is, who gets screwed here - Rocky who I think will prove to be a very good player, Lamar who is very versitile or.....say it ain't so Marcus????? Also, what do they think about the d-line? I think a very good arguement can be made for a disruptive DT or a all-around DE with some edge speed.

Are Gholston and Montgomery the future? How about letting them prove that first!!!!

You can't blame him for wanting market value.

Kudos to Chicago for investing a mid-round pick (3rd round) on a player who produced 4 very good seasons, and in return (plus a low-1st round, 31st overall pick) they can get a Top 6 player in the draft. From an equity standpoint, they have doubled their investment:

Value of pick used to draft Briggs: 250

Value of 31st pick in 2007: 600

TOTAL: 850

Value of Redskins pick, 6th pick in 2007: 1600

850 for 1600. They must have a GM.

terpfan/sekhmet187. Thanks for the info.

I didn't realize it was over the franchise tag. The Redskins have a habit of signing players to big up-front money deals and having them rework the contract later in the options. Not that that is the same as franchizing a player, but I would imagine Briggs might eventually harbor the same resentment toward the Skins if we sign him now and ask to rework the deal in 2009 when his base salary would $10M or so...

That's not what the Skins do. They give players very large signing bonuses and low base salaries for three years. Then in year four, the base salary escalates.

how come the bears can use our disinterest in arch as leverage against us, but we can't use brigg's stance against the bears as leverage against them? come on! why can't we get a mcgahee type deal? why can't the redskins underpay for a disgruntled player? .....answer-because danny boy doesn't have a poker face. I mean we weren't even looking for a LB and after the bears pitched briggs danny boy is walking around w/ a hard on talking to anyone who'll listen to him go on about his new man crush. WTF. He means well and i like how he spends money, but he needs to get out of personal decisions.

This is the situation if we had a GM, he would tell danny boy to put the checkbook up and wait until draft day when Chris Berman says, "The Redskins are now on the clock..."

Then let chi call us back and offer us the kitchen sink!!!:2cents:

Personally, I think that trading our #1 for their #1 plus Briggs is a fair deal. I just question if that's what our team needs.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

There's also the fact that he wants out of Chicago and won't even play for them. We should probably get a little something extra (ie. the second round pick in the Champ-CP deal) because of that. I mean how many NFL teams could expect to get a top #10 pick for a guy that has proclaimed he will never play for the again? It doesnt seem like we ever do much "negotiating."

You can't blame him for wanting market value.

Kudos to Chicago for investing a mid-round pick (3rd round) on a player who produced 4 very good seasons, and in return (plus a low-1st round, 31st overall pick) they can get a Top 6 player in the draft. From an equity standpoint, they have doubled their investment:

Value of pick used to draft Briggs: 250

Value of 31st pick in 2007: 600

TOTAL: 850

Value of Redskins pick, 6th pick in 2007: 1600

850 for 1600. They must have a GM.

The Patriots don't have a GM.

Has anyone yet even considered the remote possibility we might not pay Briggs more than the $7 mill a year he was going to get with Chicago.

I mean I dont know zip about contracts in all fairness but can we afford to pay him the big bucks that he held out playing for Chicago for. I thought that trades could only be confirmed once the player had accepted the contract offered by the receiving club.

Archived