Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mort on NFL Live: 'Skins and Bears are now talking...

wilbur58z

Why are we doing this?

Why? Why? Why? :(

At the very least, why can't we wait until draft day and see what we can get for the sixth pick when the pressure is on and teams start to compete for a guy?

Lance Briggs isn't going anywhere. If you really want him (why, I have no idea, but then again this is the same crew who coveted Archuletta last year) you can get him on draft day.

At the very least they should at least swap their 4th for one of our 6th round picks. That way we would have all our day 2 picks back and they still get 1st rd value for a player who doesn't want to play for them. Anything less than this is a rip off in my opinion.

WSH #6 & #191 for CHI Briggs, #31, & #127

What makes some of you think Briggs isn't "as good as advertised"?

I'm serious when I ask this. Because Urlacher plays with them? The same guy who was under fire only a couple seasons ago and being called overrated?

Is it because he happens to play with a good DLine? Well then I guess any LB that ever played with a good DLine must be overrated as opposed to some STUD like Adams or Branch...

I think b/c of the FA bust he have had last year..we are losing sight of this guy...he was beast for the Bears..a good Run stopping LB....which last time I checked we didn't do much of last year. People who say we don't need this guy....look at the Giants game.

An All Pro linebacker AND a first round pick versus a first round pick? Just not sure why people think this is an underwhelming idea. The value chart works this out to be Briggs for No. 16 in the draft. I don't want to do it. I don't happen to like Briggs. But, a two-time Pro Bowler, one time All Pro and another time third alternate in four years as a player is a guy worth the No. 16 pick. If we do it, I'd not like it, right up until he proved to actually be as good as his resume suggests. Then I'd be really happy :).

Well, if you don't like Briggs, you probably shouldn't think he's worth a mid 1st rounder, which means the value isn't that great.

Beyond Briggs himself, there are other reasons not to like it. For example, what about the 3 picks we gave up to draft Rocky last year? To be a backup? Seems like a waste of picks.

Then, there is the amount of money tied up in the LB group, since Briggs won't be cheap.

Not to mention that there shouldn't be a rush here, since better value deals can be had during the draft.

Jason

These guys all listen to WTEM and are convinced that if you get somebody off another team regardless of age it is some kind of SIN. You have to get players home grown. :silly:

why does every post u have mention WTEM? Do you work for redskins radio or something?:laugh:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. After saying that they would not pursue any high-price free agents in the offseason, Snyder and Gibbs are doing just that.

And what makes it worse is that they want a guy who doesn't want to fulfill the terms of his contract...you want that kind of guy in the locker room?:mad:

I don't know if I agree with stink on this one. Two questions:

1. Which multi millionaire free agent LB sits 50% of the snaps when we go nickle or dime? Briggs, Fletcher or Washington? That's a lot of money for LBs who won't see but half the snaps.

2. What does this say about how we feel about Rocky? All those picks to trade up and we've given up on him after, what, a dozen, two dozen regular season snaps?

It seems like we're trying to put band aids on bullet holes again, buy our way out of past mistakes (and before you ask what mistake, how was Rocky not a mistake if we're bringing in an expensive FA LB to take his spot?)

Well, if you don't like Briggs, you probably shouldn't think he's worth a mid 1st rounder, which means the value isn't that great.

Beyond Briggs himself, there are other reasons not to like it. For example, what about the 3 picks we gave up to draft Rocky last year? To be a backup? Seems like a waste of picks.

Then, there is the amount of money tied up in the LB group, since Briggs won't be cheap.

Not to mention that there shouldn't be a rush here, since better value deals can be had during the draft.

Jason

Exactly, Jason. I agree 100 percent.

So what happens to Rocky and Lemar? Lemar seemed like a better fit at WILL, and I guess Rocky is being handed over the punt protector duties.

We cut Lemar, trade Rocky for a 6th round pick, lose one our starters to injury and throw in an overmatched scrub.

Who played on a defense with the BEST defensive line in the league and arguably the league's best LB...let me repeat--the BEST defensive line in the league...we need D-line help!!!

The good news, then, for you is we'd still have a first round pick to sign a defensive lineman. Pretty cool :).

Jason

A waste of picks wouldn't be new. Duckett was a total waste as well.

Besides, how is that a good reason to keep from getting a player? It doesn't make sense to decide not to get a good player simply because you had invested draft picks in another player. They can still use Rocky, especially if Marcus doesn't come back well from hip surgery, plus he is also 30 years old.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. After saying that they would not pursue any high-price free agents in the offseason, Snyder and Gibbs are doing just that.

I don't recall them saying that. When was that?

IF we do this deal, why not wait until draft day to consumate? We have no idea how much value will be there for the #6 pick depending on what player drops. Why not see what the best deal is on the table at the time then make the decision?

I still don't think we are getting enough value out of that pick as it stands if there is no 2nd or 3rd rounder in the equation on the Bears part. You have a player who doesn't want to play another down in a Bears uniform, I would say the scales are decidely tipped in our favor.

Drew Rosenhaus is a Redskin?

My thought exactly! Don't you know, everything ALWAYS has to get twisted by the media so the Skins look bad, even if it is a good move! :doh:

I still question why we need another LB, and I agree that the Bears need to throw in another pick....preferably a 2nd rounder, but a 3rd will work....

Also, Briggs would be the first player signed this year, aside from purely depth players, that does not have connections to the coaching staff.....unless....yep, Blache was still in Chicago for his rookie year....so there is a connection there. Hmmm...

Closer to Draft Day = More Desperation on Chicago's Part

Meaning we get more.

If our FO does not see that WE hold all the cards on this one and that our #6 will do nothing but go up in value between now and Draft day than our FO is about as dumb as just about everyone on this board says they are. And I might start thinking that too.

Archived