Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Briggs in a nutshell.

Art

Lavar Arrington's greatest season as a pro was with Marty. He had .5 sacks. He had .5 sacks and literally changed how teams could play against us. He was put into a simple system.

Thats why I say sign Marty to be our DC of our All Pro Coaching Squad. Move Williams to linebackers coach or something. Or make him play Strong Safety for a year to make up for the Archuleta BS. We have enough head coach candidates anyway.

Here's a nother problem. We are only about 5 mil under the cap right now. Who do we have to cut in order to sign Briggs and our #31 pick? I'm tellin you this makes no sense at all

They could just change their annual restructure of 1/2 the team to a bi-monthly deal where we can just sign anybody anytime we want as long as they have 20-30 willing to take another bonus for a lower base.

Derrick Brooks 13.5 sacks in 12 years

Donnie Edwards 21.5 sacks in 11 years

London Fletcher 27.5 sacks in 9 years

Al Wilson 21 sacks in 8 years

Lofa Tatupu 5 sacks in 2 years

Antonio Pierce 5.5 sacks in 6 years

I'll agree with the post in general that sacks don't tell the whole story about a linebacker or even a defensive lineman, but I thought I would point out that all of the lbs you mention are middle lbs (I'm not positive about Lofa) who in general have fewer attempts at sacks versus outside lbs.

To the least, your stats do make London Fletcher look impressive.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2814052

Redskins may put together offer for Bears' Briggs

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- While a proposal has yet to be formalized, the Washington Redskins will make a trade offer to the Chicago Bears aimed at acquiring two-time Pro Bowl weakside linebacker Lance Briggs, agent Drew Rosenhaus and two league sources told ESPN.com late Monday night.

Even Len doesn't know. His headline suggests a rumor, then his story insists it's nearly a done deal, pending an official offer & acceptance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2814052

Redskins may put together offer for Bears' Briggs

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

PHOENIX -- While a proposal has yet to be formalized, theWashington Redskins will make a trade offer to the Chicago Bears aimed at acquiring two-time Pro Bowl weakside linebacker Lance Briggs, agent Drew Rosenhaus and two league sources told ESPN.com late Monday night.

Even Len doesn't know. His headline suggests a rumor, then his story insists it's nearly a done deal, pending an official offer & acceptance.

Translation, the two parties havent spoken, but a deal could be made?? BS if you ask me

So much for enjoying the quiet and steady offseason we finally deserved. Every Skins fan's pet peeve is hearing how Snyder runs the team, even when time after time Gibbs reiterates that he makes the personnel decisions.

Then we hear that Snyder is offering up trade scenarios in front of a reporter. I don't care if it was a favor for Rosenhaus or not, that was stupid. Way to get the media to stop writing stories on how you run the team.

I guess it works if we trade/cut Lemar. Thats the only way.

What does Lamar have to do with this? The most expendable LB we would have would be him if you ask me. They've invested too much to write off McIntosh without giving him an actual chance to play. Washington and Fletcher aren't going anywhere, so that leaves Marshall the odd man out.

What a freaking mess.

Why do this? Do you have no faith in Washington, Fletcher and Rocky? Is it worth the huge contract he would get?

They addressed their LB issues this offseason.

If you're trading that pick for a player and some other picks. Then look at teams between 10-20 who have a DL they can part with, and give them the 6th for that player, the pick and maybe another 1st day pick. But Briggs? He just wants to get paid.

Rosenhaus uses the Redskins as leverage for his clients, the same way "so-called" information guys like King, Fat Lenny, and Schefter use us to give the rumors they spread more juice.
I agree, but Snyder apparently commented on this too, so this is not total hot air.

Come on....argue we don't need a linebacker but stop trashing a great linebacker. Holdman NEVER went to the Pro Bowl. And sacks are only important to linebackers on teams with crappy front lines. Go ahead tell me these guys suck as linebackers, too....

Derrick Brooks 13.5 sacks in 12 years

Donnie Edwards 21.5 sacks in 11 years

London Fletcher 27.5 sacks in 9 years

Al Wilson 21 sacks in 8 years

Lofa Tatupu 5 sacks in 2 years

Antonio Pierce 5.5 sacks in 6 years

The point is simple....great linebackers are not always great pass rushers. They have important responsibilities including tackling and pass defensing. Briggs is a respected top flight linebacker that football people respect as a talented linebacker. He covers secondary receivers better than most any linebacker in the league.

I understand people's arguments against signing a linebacker but you undermine your own credibility when you fail to recognize quality players and use weak arguments like "Uh...man 3.5 sacks is a joke...who cares if he is one of the top 10 tacklers in the league the past three years and returned 3 interceptions for turnovers and is one of the league leading linebackers in forced turnovers....heck....he still only has 3. 5 sacks so he must suck...."

Why do I even bother posting on this board any more....... :doh:

Great Post. His stats are fantastic. Not 100% sure I would vote in favor, but definitely not the worst move the Skins have made if they follow through.

:logo:

An agent making up fake stories to get interest in his client?

*GAPS*

That sounds unethical!

What's fake about this story? Drew said that the Bears would be interested in this trade...which obviously they would be (6 for 31 and riddance of disgruntled player). Drew also said that the Skins (Vinny/Danny) are interested...I don't think that is much of a stretch. Whether or not something actually gets done remains to be seen.

I would make the deal.

The LB core isn't that great. Especially if Washington doesn't recover from his injury well, and theres a big chance of that. Hips are important to defenders.

Briggs would make sense. He'd be worth the #6 pick in the draft, and plus the Redskins would still be able to get a starter at the DE/DT position.

Why are people so in love with the 1st round? How many of those guys have actually helped the Redskins the last 10 years?

Oh God Gibbs making personel decisions. I don't know whos worse him or Vinny. I love what Joe has done in the past for this franchise, he earned his HOF spot, but he needs to defer to his assistants. This aint pre free agency where a 250 lbs left tackle works in the NFL. We have the assistants.... let them do their thing. Joe just be the freindly loveable figurehead and smile a lot. Thats all we need.

Why are people so in love with the 1st round? How many of those guys have actually helped the Redskins the last 10 years?

Outside of Sean Taylor and Chris Samuels. Not many, not many at all. Thats only because of the incompetence of our front office or their love of sending draft picks for vastly higher paid veterans.

Outside of Sean Taylor and Chris Samuels. Not many, not many at all. Thats only because of the incompetence of our front office or their love of sending draft picks for vastly higher paid veterans.

Not really. In fact, I was talking about when we draft players. How many picks have we traded away in the 1st round the last 10 years? What the Coles trade?

I've watched Briggs play quite a few times...as I know most of you have as well. He's certainly an upgrade over what we currently have / had at weakside linebacker (since Arrington was prior to injury). He's physical, fast and smart. Yeah, I'm sure he's benefited from the players around him, but he's a talent and productive none the less. You put him in a defense with the secondary and linebacking core we have now (assuming injuries don't cripple us this year), Briggs should make a large impact. The FO / Coaching staff obviously was / is concerned over multiple facets of the defense....not just the pass rush.

I'm not freaking out over this move by the FO, but if it doesn't work out again this time :rolleyes:

In a nutsell -- even if this trade doesn't happen, we are flat-out F--KED as long as the current front office is in place.

My friend, it's tiresome enough seeing you in thread after thread finding ways to trash all things Redskins IN context of a thread. Do you also now feel the need to also do so in threads which, as even you point out, there is NO context? At some point, expressing negative opinions crosses the line to simply inflaming the board. I recommend thinking about picking your spots. I also call your attention to Rule #6 about circumventing the profanity filter.

I suspect you'll ignore me on the former. I'd not recommend doing so on the latter.

Archived