Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Briggs in a nutshell.

Art

First, no deal has been offered by anyone associated with the Redskins to the Bears for Briggs as of this moment. The reporting on this came quickly and got a little confusing. Let's recap so everyone can breathe.

1. Adam Schefter reports Bears considering sending Briggs and their first round pick 31 overall To the skins for the 6th overall pick.

2. Glazer reports the following:

PHOENIX - The NFL Owners meeting are in full swing with announcements and committee meetings highlighting the week but it's the deals made on the side that give juice to the week.

One such deal offered Monday night, if it happens, could have major ramifications on two franchises and one franchise player.

Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Bears' disgruntled Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs, told FOXSports.com that the Redskins informed him Monday that they would like to swing a deal that would send Washington's first-round pick, No. 6 overall, to Chicago for the Bears' first-rounder, No. 31, and Briggs.

When asked about such an offer Redskins owner Dan Snyder confirmed to FOXSports.com that he in fact wanted to make the move and they were waiting to talk to Chicago. In fact, Snyder spent a couple of minutes talking to Briggs, who showed up with Rosenhaus at the meeting.

Snyder and football operations man Vinny Cerato left to find head coach Joe Gibbs regarding the deal. But before leaving Rosenhaus informed Cerato that he in fact spoke with the Bears and they were waiting an official call from the Redskins.

Briggs told FOXSports.com earlier this month that he would never play another down again for the Bears and he was willing to sit out the 2008 season.

Obviously many deals are discussed but fail to come to fruition and this deal could die as well. Both teams seemed to be on the same page but Gibbs also needed to sign off before an official offer was made. Plus, while Snyder said he'd work the deal Washington needs to formally reach out to Chicago and make an official offer. Washington could also in the end decide to change their minds as any trade would entail them getting Briggs signed to a long-term contract.

The first report from Shefter suggests the Bears would like that trade, but says nothing about us. The second report, says DIRECTLY that Rosenhaus told Glazer the Redskins would do that trade. Glazer asked Snyder, who said hi to Briggs apparently, and Snyder said the team would be interested in a move for Briggs, and we were waiting on Chicago to call us.

As the two men left the area, Rosenhaus reportedly told them Chicago was waiting on a call from them.

Uh.

Anyone else see what's happening?

Neither team has talked to each other. The Redskins acknowledged through Snyder that Briggs is a guy they'd like and Chicago should feel free to call. Rosenhaus confirms to Glazer and tells Cerrato the Bears are hot for this and they told him they were waiting on a call. Can anyone say drumming up interest in one's client with no actual conversation between the teams having taken place?

Though, you kind of have to find Rosenhaus as our personal pimp pretty cute.

This thread does not need to be a conversation about whether you like or hate the trade. That can stay in the thread already up there. This is merely to pull out the conversation to assure everyone knows no one on either team has talked to anyone on either team about this deal. It's Rosenhaus writing a story and trying to find dance partners. Tomorrow's story will be someone else and Briggs.

This thread does not need to be a conversation about whether you like or hate the trade. That can stay in the thread already up there. This is merely to pull out the conversation to assure everyone knows no one on either team has talked to anyone on either team about this deal. It's Rosenhaus writing a story and trying to find dance partners. Tomorrow's story will be someone else and Briggs.

That is obvious. They have Fletcher, Washington and Rocky

Maybe Snyder is doing Drew a favor? Unless Washington is too hurt.

Neither team has talked to each other. The Redskins acknowledged through Snyder that Briggs is a guy they'd like and Chicago should feel free to call. Rosenhaus confirms to Glazer and tells Cerrato the Bears are hot for this and they told him they were waiting on a call. Can anyone say drumming up interest in one's client with no actual conversation between the teams having taken place?

Though, you kind of have to find Rosenhaus as our personal pimp pretty cute.

If this proves to be all rumor, I'll be greatly relieved. It will be no surprise that Rosenhaus -- who's got every hyperventilating ESPN reporter on his speed-dial -- wanted to get this on the news. It drives up the perceived value of his client.

And it would also explain why Joe Gibbs was left out of the negotiations. There's no way Joe, who's supposed to be in charge, would only be informed after Danny had talked to the media, right? Unless all these stories about Joe having control are all wrong...

The whole thing sounds crazy. I hope I wake up and find this thing completely refuted. We've tried bringing in former Pro Bowl linebackers before -- Barrow, Trotter -- who didn't pan out. Briggs is no guaranteed success. He's talented, sure, but he plays with some awfully good players who might make him look better than he would here.

But I'll tell you this much: if we make this offer, the Bears will accept in a second. They get to dump a disgruntled player who wants a big payday and get the #6 pick in return? It's Christmas in Chicago.

If it's true that Snyder had an actual conversation with Briggs, then wouldn't that have to be ok'd by the Bears? If not isn't it tampering?

The way these trades tend to work out - two teams agree on compensation and then the team accepting the player tries to work out a contract extension. If the extension falls through - no deal. I'm not sure how it's possible that no one from the Skins has talked to the Bears or vice versa.

As the teams haven't talked yet, and the article by Glazer states an official call from the Redskins would occur through Gibbs, it would, as you know, confirm the leadership of the organization. This story, though, was not mature enough to get into. The teams will doubtless talk about many issues, so anything's possible. But, for now, this is Rosenhaus giving the media dance partners :).

If it's true that Snyder had an actual conversation with Briggs, then wouldn't that have to be ok'd by the Bears? If not isn't it tampering?

The way these trades tend to work out - two teams agree on compensation and then the team accepting the player tries to work out a contract extension. If the extension falls through - no deal. I'm not sure how it's possible that no one from the Skins has talked to the Bears or vice versa.

Dirk,

Read the reports. According to Glazer Rosenhaus told him the Skins were interested in that trade and Snyder said the team would talk to Chicago. Rosenhaus told Cerrato Chicago already expressed interest and were waiting on a call. Neither team, obviously, has talked. And, Snyder is an owner of a football team. Seeing a player in the halls and saying hello, asking how he's holding up, telling him he admires his play, whatever, is not tampering. It's called a conversation :).

Not only did the teams not talk, but the Bears didn't even express interest. They only said they were waiting for an official call from the Redskins.

No they didn't. Rosenhaus said they said they were waiting on call from the Redskins :).

I can't fathom Snyder genuinely and openly expressing his desire to make a deal to a reporter, especially prior to a deal being done.

The guy just isn't that open with the media...

Yeah, smells like a rumor to me. Probably a rumor drummed up by Rosenhaus to get his client paid.

Why are we even interested in Briggs, honestly?

Oh yeah, because we are the Redskins and we are willing to pay through the nose for big name players.

Briggs is a nice player, but he's not a need for us. He's a luxury, one we can't afford. Unless they want to ship him over here for a future third round pick. When we come up with another pathetic pass rushing performance next year I hope Gregg Williams is happy with his All World linebackers.

Art, if you really believe that this is all Rosenhaus' doing (I thought so too up until now) then good for you and I hope you're right. But I don't have that kind of faith anymore. It's all too familiar.

I just heard Glazer's WORDS on the radio. He reported on JT the Brick's radio show that Glazer was sitting having a drink with Danny. Rosenhaus walked up to the two of them with Briggs. They started talking in front of Glazer and Danny said to Rosenhaus, "Tell the Bears we'll give them our 6th pick in the draft for Briggs and the Bears first round pick".

That sounds like a Redskins offer to me. Glazer's actual words are much more direct than his article above that Art posted.

I don't like it but it sounds like the Skins will make the deal if the Bears will....and why the heck would the Bears be dumb enough to turn it down?

Why are we even interested in Briggs, honestly?

Oh yeah, because we are the Redskins and we are willing to pay through the nose for big name players.

Briggs is a nice player, but he's not a need for us. He's a luxury, one we can't afford. Unless they want to ship him over here for a future third round pick. When we come up with another pathetic pass rushing performance next year I hope Gregg Williams is happy with his All World linebackers.

Art, if you really believe that this is all Rosenhaus' doing (I thought so too up until now) then good for you and I hope you're right. But I don't have that kind of faith anymore. It's all too familiar.

THE TRADE IS LIES. They signed Fletcher and still have Marshall and Rocky on contract.

Why do you belive everything you read? First the Bly deal was done. Then Russle is going to be a Redskin. Now Briggs? Come on.

I just heard Glazer's WORDS on the radio. He reported on JT the Brick's radio show that Glazer was sitting having a drink with Danny. Rosenhaus walked up to the two of them with Briggs. They started talking in front of Glazer and Danny said to Rosenhaus, "Tell the Bears we'll give them our 6th pick in the draft for Briggs and the Bears first round pick".

LOL, are you serious? I'm not sure I can believe that.

THE TRADE IS LIES. They signed Fletcher and still have Marshall and Rocky on contract.

Why do you belive everything you read? First the Bly deal was done. Then Russle is going to be a Redskin. Now Briggs? Come on.

So we arent even interested then?

I'm going on the idea that where there's smoke there's fire. Is the deal done? No, obviously not. But it's out there, and even that fact saddens me.

Archived