Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Skins stay at 6 and go D line, who would you pick?

mistertim

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I bought into the early hype on the board about Anderson great against the run and good pass rusher to boot. But he seems to be dropping not as hard as Branch but seems to be going down.

Guy from NFL network said a week ago that several scouts are so unimpressed with Anderson that he now is a late first day pick to them.

One of the draft magazines I have lists him as one of the top 5 potential busts in the draft. They say he only had one big year, little time for that matter as a DE, and that year his stats where inflated because the team used him on stunts. Whatever that means.

I read somewhere too that he's dropping because he skipped the combine work outs and just did the pro work outs and was unimpressive in those workouts.

It's hard to find any draft board that picks Anderson over Adams. One of Anderson's main fans though was Kiper who had Anderson first. Now in his ranking that he came out with a few days ago for the first time he has Adams leapfrogging over Anderson and has the Skins picking Adams in the mock draft.

The draft is a crap shoot so who knows really. But it kind of concerns me that I don't recall reading anything of late about how Anderson is a beast and scouts and other teams are wowed by him.

Whereas, have I heard some pretty heavy complements thrown Carriker, Adams, Okoyes way -- yep and frequently.

I bought into the early hype on the board about Anderson great against the run and good pass rusher to boot. But he seems to be dropping not as hard as Branch but seems to be going down.

Guy from NFL network said a week ago that several scouts are so unimpressed with Anderson that he now is a late first day pick to them.

One of the draft magazines I have lists him as one of the top 5 potential busts in the draft. They say he only had one big year, little time for that matter as a DE, and that year his stats where inflated because the team used him on stunts. Whatever that means.

I read somewhere too that he's dropping because he skipped the combine work outs and just did the pro work outs and was unimpressive in those workouts.

It's hard to find any draft board that picks Anderson over Adams. One of Anderson's main fans though was Kiper who had Anderson first. Now in his ranking that he came out with a few days ago for the first time he has Adams leapfrogging over Anderson and has the Skins picking Adams in the mock draft.

The draft is a crap shoot so who knows really. But it kind of concerns me that I don't recall reading anything of late about how Anderson is a beast and scouts and other teams are wowed by him.

Whereas, have I heard some pretty heavy complements thrown Carriker, Adams, Okoyes way -- yep and frequently.

Well, if they both keep dropping, I think by draft day we should be thinking about trading down and ending up with both Branch and Anderson. I said that as a joke the other day, but it's now down to a "half-joke".

Anderson used to be a WR and has more room to bulk up. That means, he is athletic, has size already, and can get bigger, stronger, and possibly faster. He has huge upside, along with having played well in the SEC. If we stay at 6, we have to pick him.

Again if we traded down we could have multiple options...

Well, if they both keep dropping, I think by draft day we should be thinking about trading down and ending up with both Branch and Anderson. I said that as a joke the other day, but it's now down to a "half-joke".

Yeah funny thing is that's possible, I wouldn't mind picking up Anderson later in the draft or Branch for that matter. One good thing is that since there is no love fest going on at least publicly with either one of them, and scouts seem to be less impressed as opposed to more over time with the both of them, they both might end up falling in the draft, especially Branch.

I don't think Adams drops much. The ratings on him are too consistently good. I don't recall anyone saying he's a potential bust. No one really is challanging the idea that he is the best pass rusher in the draft. As I said Kiper prefered Anderson earlier but now even he is off of that and rating Adams the highest.

Okoye -- I think too many teams are excited about his potential and those that like him seem to love him, so I'd be surprised if he drops any lower than 12.

Wouldn't shock me if Carriker ends up going higher than Anderson. His draft status is on the upswing. Only concern about him seems to be does he end up just a run stuffer without being much of a pass rusher.

Carriker, Okoye, Adams have momentum in the draft. Branch and Anderson are right now going the opposite direction. Good news though for all the Anderson fans, I think there is a good chance we can trade down from 6 and get him. I've not at least read of any team being in love with him and dying to draft him. Am sure some teams like him but he doesn't have that buzz going that the other three players have and for that matter Landry.

The more I hear about Okoye the better he sounds.

Thanks for pointing out the degree to us uninformed. I'd been suspecting that, at 19, he was some hotshot kid who thought he was so cool he knew everything after one year of college ball. But your post puts him in a completely different light.

Keep Smoot away from him 'till he's 21.

Yeah he actually went to college at 16.....heck he's a legit senior and apparently has the maturity of an adult.

I was all for Branch early on but the more I hear about Okoye the more I want to see him in B&G

Here's a little research I found on him:

(from ESPN) http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=11003&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d11003

"Overall: Okoye arrived at Louisville in 2003 as a 16-year-old true freshman and played in all 13 games registering 17 total tackles, two tackles-for-loss, and one sack. In 2004, he played in 11 games (one start; Army), missed the East Carolina game with a shoulder injury, and made 26 total tackles, two tackles-for-loss, and one sack for the year. Okoye started 10 of the 11 games he played in during the 2005 season, missed the Florida Atlantic game with a foot sprain, and finished the season with 23 total tackles, four tackles-for-loss, 0.5 sacks, and three fumble recoveries. He started all 13 games in 2006 and registered 55 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and three forced fumbles, garnering him Associated Press Second Team All-America and First Team All-Big East honors."

Again my only problem is size/weight- he's listed at 287 which is pretty light for a run stuffing DT

Yeah he actually went to college at 16.....heck he's a legit senior and apparently has the maturity of an adult.

I was all for Branch early on but the more I hear about Okoye the more I want to see him in B&G

Here's a little research I found on him:

(from ESPN) http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=11003&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d11003

"Overall: Okoye arrived at Louisville in 2003 as a 16-year-old true freshman and played in all 13 games registering 17 total tackles, two tackles-for-loss, and one sack. In 2004, he played in 11 games (one start; Army), missed the East Carolina game with a shoulder injury, and made 26 total tackles, two tackles-for-loss, and one sack for the year. Okoye started 10 of the 11 games he played in during the 2005 season, missed the Florida Atlantic game with a foot sprain, and finished the season with 23 total tackles, four tackles-for-loss, 0.5 sacks, and three fumble recoveries. He started all 13 games in 2006 and registered 55 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, eight sacks, and three forced fumbles, garnering him Associated Press Second Team All-America and First Team All-Big East honors."

Again my only problem is size/weight- he's listed at 287 which is pretty light for a run stuffing DT

I also heard hes going to get stronger and quicker as he matures even more... Just his maturity level and how he improved each year it sounds like hes the right guy for joe and the skins:2cents:

Anderson used to be a WR and has more room to bulk up. That means, he is athletic, has size already, and can get bigger, stronger, and possibly faster. He has huge upside, along with having played well in the SEC. If we stay at 6, we have to pick him. Again if we traded down we could have multiple options...

Yeah though that was one of the issues someone had with him on the NFL network, apparently Anderson recently bulked up to 288 and they felt he didn't carry it well, he was according to them, noticeably slower in the pro work outs. They said something to the effect that Anderson is tall but has narrow hips and isn't built to carry a lot of weight. Then went on to say how unimpressed several scouts where of him and see him now as a late first day pick -- meaning the 3rd round. Now I doubt that happens. However, its hard to miss that really no one seems to be gushing about Anderson headed to the draft.

I loved the IDEA of Anderson on paper. Big guy, was a receiver with the rep of being able to stuff both the run and pass. The draft observor that seem to be most sold on that was Kiper but now he's even a little off that bandwagon to a degree and ranks Adams higher. And its hard not to notice that just about everyone ranks Adams higher than Anderson. Adams is tall too, he is only half and inch or so smaller than Anderson. About 20 pounds lighter. So people are saying Adams can handle some more weight, too.

It just has me concerned that the oohs and ahs as we get closer to the draft are about Adams, Okoye, and Carriker. Not about Anderson and definitely not Branch.

Anderson out of the group listed. And if he goes on the "skinless/boneless chicken and green tea diet" like Merriman we'll have a monster.

Yeah yeah some of the guys had a deion sanders moment where they basically got tired of interview process with those at the bottom of the draft since they didnt see the need to talk to those who wont be in a position to draft them.

I've been a Branch/Anderson guy, but a pure pash rusher like Adams could potentially change the defense significantly.

Sure, there's going to be some potential problems stopping the run, but I believe if they can get pressure from the front 4 (especially from Adams & Carter) it'll allow linebackers to help more with the run, rather than with blitzing.

I think Adams can be a legit stud.

Yeah though that was one of the issues someone had with him on the NFL network, apparently Anderson recently bulked up to 288 and they felt he didn't carry it well, he was according to them, noticeably slower in the pro work outs. They said something to the effect that Anderson is tall but has narrow hips and isn't built to carry a lot of weight. Then went on to say how unimpressed several scouts where of him and see him now as a late first day pick -- meaning the 3rd round. Now I doubt that happens. However, its hard to miss that really no one seems to be gushing about Anderson headed to the draft.

I loved the IDEA of Anderson on paper. Big guy, was a receiver with the rep of being able to stuff both the run and pass. The draft observor that seem to be most sold on that was Kiper but now he's even a little off that bandwagon to a degree and ranks Adams higher. And its hard not to notice that just about everyone ranks Adams higher than Anderson. Adams is tall too, he is only half and inch or so smaller than Anderson. About 20 pounds lighter. So people are saying Adams can handle some more weight, too.

It just has me concerned that the oohs and ahs as we get closer to the draft are about Adams, Okoye, and Carriker. Not about Anderson and definitely not Branch.

I don't know about Anderson "looking slow". His numbers were certainly competitve with the other DEs, except Adams (Adams is much smaller, so you would expect him to be quicker).

And these "oohs and ahhs" are coming from workouts, not football. I am not one of these guys who rants and raves about the combine and "workout warriors", but it seems silly to worry about how a guy isn't 'wowing' people during workouts.:2cents:

I think I'd go with Okoye for one main reason. You can't really look at it that we need Branch because Griffen isn't the huge DT and with Okoye we'd have 2 smaller guys. They are both over 300 and Okoye is going to be the guy for a long time. Griffen will likely miss 1/2 of the next 3-4 seasons anyway and then he is done. So I wouldn't even consider Griffen when making the decision. Okoye busts his ass in everything, he's 19 and graduated. Branch is going to be the guy who gives up 6 ypc in the 2nd half because he's toast by then.

To me Okoye is the best pick but if we can get him by trading down then do it. Most of those DE's are smaller, if I had to have one though I'd go with Anderson.

No Adams or Branch, for sure though.

If he cant carry the weight then he should look to Jason Taylor and look at his speed and leverage

Sure playing off of your point, you are saying he should lose the weight. If he's the guy just concerns me that its pretty much Adams getting the nod hands down over Anderson in all of the predraft stuff. We on this board seem to be the most excited about him -- I like the fact that we at least had one backer in Kiper but now we lost him, too.

Actually let me recant a comment I made in an earlier post, just went thru some draft boards for a refresher and Branch is still mostly ahead of Okoye -- its just that Branch is dropping big time with some in particular the ESPN ones.

Getting back to Anderson for a sec, seems like his biggest positive is his negative too and that is about his potential. It seems like some think he can be really good and hasn't even hit his potential yet whereas others see him too much of an unknown with inflated stats and a potential bust.

Seems like Adams by and large is considered the better pure pass rusher with more pass rushing moves than Anderson. The hype on Adams is that he is fast and a beast in pursuit. When Adams sees the QB within reach, he's great at locking down and finishing.

Whereas, Anderson not only isn't as fast but some say has a slow first step, and not many pass rushing moves. Having said all that Anderson is still young in the process and of course could develop them, and clearly has enough athletic ability to have sacks without many moves.

I guess what's not helping Anderson versus Adams is that it seems that Adams is beating expectations and impressing scouts, Anderson apparently at least in some cases is underwhelming some people in person. Actually the one shot ironically I've heard about Adams is from the Skins, one apparent leak was that they weren't impressed.

I was big on the Anderson over Adams bandwagon. Its just hard for me at the moment to ignore the buzz becuase when it comes to that Adams is eating Anderson right now for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Of course its all a crap shoot but since I am not there observing this stuff personally I can only go by reports.

Personally am not in love with anyone of them at #6. But since the topic confined us to defensive lineman at #6 am sticking to topic.

I am kinda torn between Anderson and Okoye but still would be happy with Adams...I went with Anderson because of his dominant performance in the SEC.

Have to say I agree here as well. Anderson played in an extremely competitive conference and I think we're probably stronger at DT then DE. Look at the giants, they have sub par DT's but they're DE's are extremely good (and their corners are crap, whereas ours are considerably better). Being able to pressure the quarterback will help our defense a ton.

Actually went looking for some recent pro Anderson stuff. I did find something good from Mcshay that reassures me, he does think he's the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft not the first but it still was complementary:

Arkansas Razorbacks (March 13)

DE Jamaal Anderson was under a microscope after opting out of the combine workout. Fortunately for him, Anderson had nothing to hide. The 6-foot-5, 284-pound underclassman verified his unusual combination of size and athleticism by running both his 40-yard dash attempts in the high 4.7-second range, while also posting high marks in the short shuttle (4.22), three cone (6.88), broad jump (9-8), vertical jump (32½) and bench press (22 reps).

Anderson can be inconsistent and his technique needs some polishing, but his type of natural physical tools can't be coached. That's why I still believe Anderson is the second-best defensive end prospect in this year's talent-laden crop.

Basically I agree with that.

I think it's toss-up with Okoye.I think it's early for Carriker, would absolutely not want Adams (not because he isn't good, but because of the size of he and Carter).

Size isnt that big of an issue we need pass rushers, Daniels can come in on the typical rushing downs, and Adams come in on passing downs, we can address another big lineman...next years draft if we dont trade them away that is.

The thing that worries me is that if we stay at 6, then that person we draft is suppose to be an impact player right off the bat. From reading alot of the post most of these guys are ethier project guys, still has room to grow, etc, and you just dont pick that with the 6th pick. Im just glad Im not the FO or the scouts or Gibbs for that matter.

Im just going to be the guy that complains when whoever we pick doesnt live up to the hype..lol

I went with Branch. I don't see why everyone is so sure that the guy will be a bust. What you see now, is not necessarily what you get. After all, since mid-November, he's only played one bowl-game -- so I'm sure his conditioning has dropped. As for the motor running 24/7 and being at full throttle for an entire game or season -- remember we are talking about a big Defensive Tackle here and DTs do take plays off.

Also, I'm not going to condemn a guy for taking some time off and let his conditioning slide. Isn't that what we have training camp for? ...To get guys into playing condition? ...To hone their techniques? the Skins are supposed to have a decent D-line Coach, so I assume the coach should be able to do something with Branch.

I chose Branch because he was the best two-gap defensive tackle coming out in 2007. He's got the reputation of being willing and able to scrap away in the middle, something we really need. remember, there's not too much finesse needed there, and he's not easy to blow out of his lane. He can mount a pass-rush, or at least take heat off Griffin.

So, if all this pre-draft talk has him sliding, that might be good for the Redskins. After all, if he slides enough that we can trade down and still get him along with some other picks, that might be okay with me.

However at #6, I am firmly on the LaRon Landry bandwagon now -- that's because the folks on this board convinced me that Washington could still decent DT and DE talent in the lower rounds as well.

The thing that worries me is that if we stay at 6, then that person we draft is suppose to be an impact player right off the bat. From reading alot of the post most of these guys are ethier project guys, still has room to grow, etc, and you just dont pick that with the 6th pick. Im just glad Im not the FO or the scouts or Gibbs for that matter.

I agree with your point. I want someone who can make instant impact. Based on the reports those players would be: Landry -- as a FS the reports on him have been glowing, some saying this guy will be a pro bowler and fast. I don't read anything like that about the other defense players. Looks like Gaines Adams is ready now at least as a situational pass rusher. Branch is a big body that you probably can stick in right away. Okoye and Anderson are seen more as players that might need more time to become studs.

I would take Anderson at #6 who is a dominent pass rushing DE with a motor and use the late round picks for gems at DB/OL/DL, Montgomery in his 2nd year should develop into the DT rotation with Golston/Joe/Griffin

I don't mind taking Anderson but why at 6? -- he probably could be had with us dropping at least some in the draft. My whole issue here is this year people are saying its a good year for DEs not because its front loaded with stud stars but because its deep. I don't see it where we HAVE to have for example draft Anderson at 6 because he's clearly miles better than Carriker or Okoye. Heck more and more people are saying Okoye is a better prospect.

Said differently, Anderson ISN'T hyped up as another Julius Pepper. some people on the board have made that reference but good luck finding that hype elsewhere. There are a lot of very good prospects at DE -- Gaines Adams, Anderson, Carriker, Charles Johnson, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer. And even 2nd tier ones that some like Abriami (probably mispelling it) Woodley, etc. And you got Branch and Okoye at DT.

For me to think man Anderson is the be all and end all he is the stud that rises above everyone, we got to take him at #6. Yeah we could trade down and end up with 2 of these players and end up with a DT AND DE but Anderson is that good that I'd rather have just him. Well, for me to buy into that I'd like to see Anderson hyped up to that degree becuase right now he isn't.

The player that comes closest to getting that hype is Adams not Anderson but he isn't deemed either to be that special. Really the only player that I've been reading that there is a consensus about being special on the defensive side of the ball is Landry.

Im just going to be the guy that complains when whoever we pick doesnt live up to the hype..lol

Flip side of that is, I don't think there's anybody in the draft who's guaranteed (or even likely) to come in and make a big difference in Game 1. Or even in season 1. (I do understand that, traditionally, there are some positions on the field that typically have shorter learning curves.)

Archived