Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Skins stay at 6 and go D line, who would you pick?

mistertim

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I still believe that a great DT will improve the DE play for the ends we have right now. We can always look to a DE later in the draft if we trade back and pick up a pick or two later in the first day.

I believe we could, trading back, get Carricker and maybe Tyler, or Anderson and Tyler and have some really awesome talent. If Branch slides to the second round, we could have a steal at that point. Here's hoping.

I wouldn't be unhappy with any of the players mentioned here, though I agree with several posters that none of them are really worth a #6. I think that Vinny coming out and posturing with his "I don't expect many calls on draft day" is a smokescreen, because the top 5-6 picking teams are always on the phone on draft day with discussions coming in left and right. You can see it happening while you watch it, and it is the reason why, invariably, the teams take so daggone long to pick - the picks have high value and they field offers for very large trades.

I have to say that I am officially backing down and ranking Okoye and Branch around the same, though I would rather see Branch for his strength and size - some things like the degree and 16 year old true freshman promoted Okoye in my eyes... I must admit to having not seen that info before making a judgement on him and that is my shame - I just would like to see a bulkier DT unless you are looking for a Griff replacement.

If I was to stick at #6, I would still pick Branch because of the films I have watched, the performance level I saw, the effect he had on an entire offensive line, the effect he had on rushing attacks, the holes he helped open (and with Griff rather than a sophomore teammate - those holes *would* be opened) and the help he provided a pass rush.

But I don't see it happening - I still see a trade back, getting Anderson or Carricker - probably Carricker due to his natural (not beefed up for pro day) size, and maybe Tyler in the second.

*edit* - you have to think about that DT from Tennessee, I believe it was - I have read he was a real monster before an injury - you have to think about where he might have been if not for that injury - would he have outstripped Branch, Okoye and Tyler? Might be worth a look if we can pick up a second rounder

quoted for emphasis, Jamaal Anderson is a total package defensive end. You can not say Amobi Okoye has more potential then Jamaal Anderson.

True, but either of those guys would be good picks.

Adams and Branch just look like likely busts to me, esp. Branch.

Yeah though that was one of the issues someone had with him on the NFL network, apparently Anderson recently bulked up to 288 and they felt he didn't carry it well, he was according to them, noticeably slower in the pro work outs. They said something to the effect that Anderson is tall but has narrow hips and isn't built to carry a lot of weight. Then went on to say how unimpressed several scouts where of him and see him now as a late first day pick -- meaning the 3rd round. Now I doubt that happens. However, its hard to miss that really no one seems to be gushing about Anderson headed to the draft.

I loved the IDEA of Anderson on paper. Big guy, was a receiver with the rep of being able to stuff both the run and pass. The draft observor that seem to be most sold on that was Kiper but now he's even a little off that bandwagon to a degree and ranks Adams higher. And its hard not to notice that just about everyone ranks Adams higher than Anderson. Adams is tall too, he is only half and inch or so smaller than Anderson. About 20 pounds lighter. So people are saying Adams can handle some more weight, too.

It just has me concerned that the oohs and ahs as we get closer to the draft are about Adams, Okoye, and Carriker. Not about Anderson and definitely not Branch.

That's kinda odd. At Andersons workout at his pro day he posted better agility drill numbers than any DE and most of hte LB's. Most of his number were in the "WR" catagory. So I dont know how that hurt his stock. Just a thought.

*Edit* voted Anderson. I like Okoye alot as well, but we could use a 2 ggap Dt more than a 1 gap Dt. Adams is more of a tweener and might play LB in the 3-4. Branch, I see bust all over him, even though he is the type of DT we need.

I originally after last year liked Gaines Adams the best, but after looking into it a bit more and learning more about the others. I would say that Alan Branch is probably the best physical specimen, since we need someone to be able to play the run and pass. I think Adams is going to be a playmaker, but is just a bit undersized weight wise to make an impact in the run, especially in the East. Anderson might be the best DE to fit the run and pass. We need to replace our aging DE's, but considering all the injuries at DT we have had, that could be the best pick, I voted for Branch. But, if we could trade down and still get Okoye,, that would be excellent.

Even though I would like to draft Landry at #6, we don't have the luxury of a solid DL to draft a FS. So, I voted for Anderson. I think you should put more emphasis on what he did in college and not be swayed to much by a bunch of websites and analysts' mock drafts. There's always a surprise and a bust in every draft that they cannot predict, so I would just assess the player's tools, potential, and character and pray that you picked a gem out of the crapshoot.

Sure but that's the rap on Anderson too -- in college he had ONE big season adjusting to his new position. Some say that predicts an even bigger future, some say it could mean he was a flash in the pan. Ala Moses had a big year a year go but the following year he had a so so one, now people project him as a thirad rounder. One draft magazine predicts Anderson as one of their 5 most potential BUSTS because last year, his team was very aggressive and deployed many stunts so to them his numbers are inflated.

Heck, again, I don't know of course how good or not he's going to be, just noticed that he's hyped up WAY more on this board than by the typical draft observor. If you guys have been following his career closely and have an insiders view, cool enough.

I guess what has me down some is Kiper was one of the few that was into the Anderson hype and liked him better than Adams. Now he seems off of that and is picking Adams over him for the first time. Now pretty much EVERYONE has Adams over Anderson. Doesn't seem like much of a debate ala Okoye versus Branch where people seem all over the map on.

That's kinda odd. At Andersons workout at his pro day he posted better agility drill numbers than any DE and most of hte LB's. Most of his number were in the "WR" catagory. So I dont know how that hurt his stock. Just a thought.

Don't know but I wasn't the only person on the board to hear the NFL's Network's comments about scouts being unimpressed. They did take a shot at his SPEED not his agility. He's also not a beast it seems strength wise like Carriker. Just upon my reading and watching stuff it seems like you got some people GUSHING after seeing Carriker and Adams up close.

I have yet to see the gushing about Anderson. I've read gushing reports at the beginning of the year about Anderson but ever since scouts and teams have started looking at players up close among the players we talk about the hype seems to be Adams, Carriker, Okoye. Not so much with Anderson and Branch. Not saying people are saying he stinks or isn't going to be good but I've noticed really no wows unlike: the players I mentioned and for that matter Landry.

I just have the feeling, that at 19, you are pretty much done growing. you might put on 10-15 lbs here or there, but he's too light, he's a 1-gap DT. we need a 2 gapper DT for Griffin. Plus we need DE even more then that.

You definitely can grow. That's why so many kids are redshirted when they first get to college, so they can get the proper training to put on weight so they are ready for the field and that happens at the 18/19 year old age. Jamaal Anderson and Gaines Adams are both cases in point. Both came to their respective colleges and the coaches didn't know what exactly to do with them. Both were listed as WRs. After three years in their programs they were able to bulk up and now play DE. These guys are 21/22 and Okoye is bigger than them now, and still has those extra two years to add more.

I also stress the importance of DT over DE because we all the NFC East is a dogfight and everybody can run the ball. Since we play them more than anyone else, DT will have more impact than DE.

True, but either of those guys would be good picks.

Adams and Branch just look like likely busts to me, esp. Branch.

yeah definately, okoye is a 1 gap dt, and if he was a 2 gap, i'd be all over that, They are both going to be good, no doubt about it, but if we are going to stay at 6, which you can bet we probably will, i'd rather take Anderson.

You definitely can grow. That's why so many kids are redshirted when they first get to college, so they can get the proper training to put on weight so they are ready for the field and that happens at the 18/19 year old age. Jamaal Anderson and Gaines Adams are both cases in point. Both came to their respective colleges and the coaches didn't know what exactly to do with them. Both were listed as WRs. After three years in their programs they were able to bulk up and now play DE. These guys are 21/22 and Okoye is bigger than them now, and still has those extra two years to add more.

I also stress the importance of DT over DE because we all the NFC East is a dogfight and everybody can run the ball. Since we play them more than anyone else, DT will have more impact than DE.

Okoye is short for a dt which is a negative, Okoye is also a DT, so one would think he'd be bigger.

I am with you on that especially considering assuming we find a trading partner we can get Okoye or Branch lower in the draft and STILL get a DE in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jarvis Moss, and Carriker are gone in the first almost for certain.

Decent shot one of these guys will be avilable in the 2nd: Charles Johnson, Anthony Spencer

Decent shot one of these quys would be avialble in the third: Victor Abiamri , Woodley, Moses, Alma-Francis, Tim Crowder.

This draft has been labeled by most as a deep draft of good DEs, as opposed to a stud group of elite DEs.

I am with you on that especially considering assuming we find a trading partner we can get Okoye or Branch lower in the draft and STILL get a DE in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Jarvis Moss, and Carriker are gone in the first almost for certain.

Decent shot one of these guys will be avilable in the 2nd: Charles Johnson, Anthony Spencer

Decent shot one of these quys would be avialble in the third: Victor Abiamri , Woodley, Moses, Alma-Francis, Tim Crowder.

This draft has been labeled by most as a deep draft of good DEs, as opposed to a stud group of elite DEs.

Given the right moves for multiple 3rds, I would take both Jay Moore and Dan Bazuin if available. Moore is a bigger guy with the frame to add even more weight. Not overly athletic, but solid and productive. Bazuin is more of a situational rusher. The two combined with Carter and Evans would give us the chance for a great, deep rotation at DE for several years. And both of them have off the charts type of motors. I would love to see a couple of those guys to raise the intensity of the whole D. :2cents:

You certainly can eat yourself into being a lot bigger without even being taught. :laugh:

Ted Washington never skipped a meal and how long did he play in the NFL? I do hear what you're saying though in that there is definitely some "bust" potential in Branch. He still may be our safest bet.

Archived