Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Skins stay at 6 and go D line, who would you pick?

mistertim

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Flip side of that is, I don't think there's anybody in the draft who's guaranteed (or even likely) to come in and make a big difference in Game 1. Or even in season 1. (I do understand that, traditionally, there are some positions on the field that typically have shorter learning curves.)

There are no guarantees of course but there have been enough examples of pass rushers making an instant impact including Anderson, a 5th rounder, having a huge year last year. Laroy Landry's brother, a 5th rounder, had a great year for the Ravens as a safety. Taylor had a good year for us first year as a safety, Bailey was good off the bat as a CB, heck even Smoot in his first year unseated Darrel Green.

I think a polished pass rusher for example CAN make an instant impact. If Laroy Landry's less talented brother can make an impact as a rookie, I have a feeling that Laroy is going to be a stud from the outset. But yeah clearly its always a crap shoot but its not a stretch to assume we can get a player who helps right away. Assuming Gregg Williams plays them!

I don't mind taking Anderson but why at 6? -- he probably could be had with us dropping at least some in the draft. My whole issue here is this year people are saying its a good year for DEs not because its front loaded with stud stars but because its deep. I don't see it where we HAVE to have for example draft Anderson at 6 because he's clearly miles better than Carriker or Okoye. Heck more and more people are saying Okoye is a better prospect.

Said differently, Anderson ISN'T hyped up as another Julius Pepper. some people on the board have made that reference but good luck finding that hype elsewhere. There are a lot of very good prospects at DE -- Gaines Adams, Anderson, Carriker, Charles Johnson, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer. And even 2nd tier ones that some like Abriami (probably mispelling it) Woodley, etc. And you got Branch and Okoye at DT.

For me to think man Anderson is the be all and end all he is the stud that rises above everyone, we got to take him at #6. Yeah we could trade down and end up with 2 of these players and end up with a DT AND DE but Anderson is that good that I'd rather have just him. Well, for me to buy into that I'd like to see Anderson hyped up to that degree becuase right now he isn't.

The player that comes closest to getting that hype is Adams not Anderson but he isn't deemed either to be that special. Really the only player that I've been reading that there is a consensus about being special on the defensive side of the ball is Landry.

So, if I can sumarize your point, you're saying that you'd be happy with Adams, Anderson, Carriker, Okoye, Branch, or some others, and if we drop down to, say, 15, it's pretty much guaranteed that at least one of them will still be there?

So, if I can sumarize your point, you're saying that you'd be happy with Adams, Anderson, Carriker, Okoye, Branch, or some others, and if we drop down to, say, 15, it's pretty much guaranteed that at least one of them will still be there?

No such thing as a guarantee in life outside of death & taxes. And maybe something else am missing. But yeah I think its likely that one of those players will be there at 15 -- of those players at the moment looks like its mostly likely Branch -- 2nd most likely Carriker.

Right now ESPN has in their 2 mock drafts:

McShay: Carriker at 17

Kiper: Carriker at 19.

But Kiper since did an update of ranking the top talent and Branch dropped to 26.

And I've noticed on some boards especially theirs that Anderson has been slowly moving down. Kiper if I recall has him at 10 right now. Both draft boards have the Skins now taking Adams at 6. Kiper previously had us taking Anderson. Stuff clearly changes over time and am not banking just on these guys mocks but if the pattern continues yeah I think there is better than even odds that we get one of the players at 15.

If we drop down to 12 or below its pretty much slam dunk.

Jamaal Anderson is a beast he plays every down and dominated in the SEC theres no other reason than wanting a STUD DE who is a 1st round DE.... *** Positives: Size (6-5-plus, 284 pounds), strength, and quickness. … Strong bull rusher. … Has multiple moves that allow him to be effective rushing the passer inside or outside. … Does a good job of diagnosing plays and reacting to them. … Shows impressive tackling skills. ***

Jamaal Anderson is a beast he plays every down and dominated in the SEC theres no other reason than wanting a STUD DE who is a 1st round DE.... *** Positives: Size (6-5-plus, 284 pounds), strength, and quickness. … Strong bull rusher. … Has multiple moves that allow him to be effective rushing the passer inside or outside. … Does a good job of diagnosing plays and reacting to them. … Shows impressive tackling skills. ***

I hear ya and I'd LOVE to be convinced, nothing would make me happier than getting a stud DE. My questions to the Anderson is a beast group is just 2.

1. How come just about everybody picks Adams higher? Even Kiper who was one of the few Anderson is better people now switched gears and picks Adams above?

2. How come lines like a "beast" "bonafide pro-bowler", or he's a must pick at #6, or reading about other teams raving about him, doesn't happen with this guy the way it does with someone like Landry or even Adams?

Look I got not dog in this fight, we are all on the same side, we want the best player the Skins can get. The lack of BIG hype about Anderson has me concerned. And most of his hype has come early, he doesn't seem to be building momentum and is DROPPING or staying still not rising on draft charts. Heck it is a crap shoot for all we know someone like Charles Johnson can ultimaley become the stud DE in the NFL.

I just noticed before we drafted Shawn Taylor, Champ Bailey, Lavarr, Chris Samuels these guys got serious hype. And they all became pro-bowlers. On the other hand players like Rod Gardner, or Carlos Rodgers weren't given huge hype.

In this draft it seems like there is a clear consensus at the moment that Gaines Adams is the best pass rusher. Landry at safety is given stud status more than any defender I read about in this draft. Okoye some rave about his potential. Some like Anderson and think he's going to be good but I don't get the same can't miss vibe about him that I got about some of our other high draft picks that panned out for us.

If Anderson though just lived off the hype on this board he'd be going #1. We hype him more than anyone.

1. How come just about everybody picks Adams higher? Even Kiper who was one of the few Anderson is better people now switched gears and picks Adams above?

2. How come lines like a "beast" "bonafide pro-bowler", or he's a must pick at #6, or reading about other teams raving about him, doesn't happen with this guy the way it does with someone like Landry or even Adams?

In this draft it seems like there is a clear consensus at the moment that Gaines Adams is the best pass rusher. Landry at safety is given stud status more than any defender I read about in this draft. Okoye some rave about his potential. Some like Anderson and think he's going to be good but I don't get the same can't miss vibe about him that I got about some of our other high draft picks that panned out for us.

If Anderson though just lived off the hype on this board he'd be going #1. We hype him more than anyone.

Ok I see what you mean but I believe that it should depend on how the player can make an impact, Gaines Adams (finesse pass rusher) is excellent but is smaller compared to Anderson (Beast) who can play both pass and run. I think with Carter being undersized a hybrid LB/DE, if we go DE you cant miss with Anderson due to his hard nose style of play at DE with speed and strength pass rushing ability. This years draft just like last year was the need for DB but the redskins need stop the run and get to the QB like right now!!! Dont get me wrong i would love to see Taylor and Landry. Landry is hyped because theres no other comparision this year other than Micheal Griffin Texas.

Ok I see what you mean but I believe that it should depend on how the player that can make an impact, Gaines Adams (finesse rusher) is excellent at pass rushing but is smaller compared to Anderson (Beast) who can also play both pass/run. I think with Carter being undersized a hybrid LB/DE, if we go DE you cant miss with Anderson due to his hard nose style of play at DE with speed pass rushing ability. This years draft just like last year was the need for DB but the redskins need stop the run and get to the QB like right now!!! Dont get me wrong i would love to see Taylor and Landry. Landry is hyped because theres no other comparision this year other than Micheal Griffin Texas.

Sure, yeah I understand the idea that we would prefer a DE who is both a stud as a pass rusher and as a run stuffer. That's what got me on the Anderson bandwagon in the first place. But, Adams is pretty much the same height as Anderson, about 20 pounds lighter but he can put that on I'd guess. Some of the NFL draft types say that Adams has improved against the run and expect him to ultimately be fine there.

Frankly, I can go with either one of them -- the reason why I'd put Adams in the mix is it seems like NO ONE is questioning his pass rushing skills while SOME are questioning Anderson's and I don't notice people raving about his run stuffing ability to the degree like someone like Carriker.

I'd love for either Adams or Anderson or any other DE or DT for that matter to get the hype that Landry has. Seems like the scouts are uniformally sold on him in a big way. Who knows maybe the Skins scouting see something beyond what we read about one of the DE's and get them at #6. All I can go on is what I read and based on what I read NEITHER Adams or Anderson have people fawning all over about. And if they got that right, why not draft down.

Branch would be my first choice. Okoye if we could trade down and still pick him up. We have Andre Carter who I think will be fine. We also have one of the smallest DLs in the leaue. We need bulk and run-stoppers period. Get that and the rest will sort itself out.

Branch would be my first choice. Okoye if we could trade down and still pick him up. We have Andre Carter who I think will be fine. We also have one of the smallest DLs in the leaue. We need bulk and run-stoppers period. Get that and the rest will sort itself out.

Looks like we can trade down and get Branch, too not just Okoye. I'd love though to trade down get a DT like Branch and Okoye then draft a DE with the pick we'd pick up, hopefully a 2nd rounder. That's really my main point lets get 2 players -- I don't think there is a can't miss stud at #6 that we have to have unless we go for Landry.

Looks like we can trade down and get Branch, too not just Okoye. I'd love though to trade down get a DT like Branch and Okoye then draft a DE with the pick we'd pick up, hopefully a 2nd rounder. That's really my main point lets get 2 players -- I don't think there is a can't miss stud at #6 that we have to have unless we go for Landry.

I've been following your posts and agree with most of what you've said, but the fact is, if we can't trade down, we have to draft DL regardless, even though there isn't a pre-packaged stud there. The draft is one of the few opportunities we have left to upgrade the DL. Our defense won't be any better than last year until the DL needs are addressed and Landry will not help us much this year if we have the same DL as last year.

Even though I would like to draft Landry at #6, we don't have the luxury of a solid DL to draft a FS. So, I voted for Anderson. I think you should put more emphasis on what he did in college and not be swayed to much by a bunch of websites and analysts' mock drafts. There's always a surprise and a bust in every draft that they cannot predict, so I would just assess the player's tools, potential, and character and pray that you picked a gem out of the crapshoot.

Ok from looking at what we have at DT is Griff, big Joe, Golston,Montgomery,Boschetti, *Manupuna,and *Clauss.

At DE we have Carter, Daniels, Wynn, Evans,

*Bosec,*Green,*Shaw,Sykes, and *Wilson

Alot of camp fodder on both sides but looking at both pos. it looks like we need a DT with DE a very very close second. Got alot of beef to throw at the middle but speed rush is needed from this lineup.

*I didnt even know they signed all thoes guys. :)

Even though I would like to draft Landry at #6, we don't have the luxury of a solid DL to draft a FS. So, I voted for Anderson. I think you should put more emphasis on what he did in college and not be swayed to much by a bunch of websites and analysts' mock drafts. There's always a surprise and a bust in every draft that they cannot predict, so I would just assess the player's tools, potential, and character and pray that you picked a gem out of the crapshoot.

I agree with your point, Jamaal Anderson is the most well rounded DE in college. As a Junior he ranked 3rd in the nation and led the SEC in sacks, he can get the job done in the run game he was ranked 12th in nation for tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

I'd take Amobi Okoye because he has a non-stop motor which is vital at DT, he hasn't reached his full size yet, he's about 305 and will put on weight. But more importantly, he's only 19 years old. If this kid pans out for us, I could see him in the league for the next 15-16 years and that's a scary thought if a team passes on this kid and he starts on someone else's D-line for the next decade and a half. Definitely going with OKOYE!!

What he said! :applause:

Without question Alan Branch, this defense works when we can stop the run.

With Fletcher, without HWY57 & with a healthy Griffin, we will be able to do just that.

Turnovers is the key to turning it around...and the best way is to pressure the QB.

With a nod to continuing to improve the run D, however, we should pick a DE who has enough heft to stop the run. Carter should be the only light end on the field, at 265.

Anderson is my preference at #6...ideally, I'd like to see us trade down a little & get Carriker, so we have other picks to use.

I've changed my mind on this so many times, but I'm starting to reach a solid conclusion. Branch is definitely out in my book because he takes plays off and appears to me as the Randy Moss of DTs. He has all the talent in the world but he's lazy, showed up to the combine out of shape and was in even worse shape at his pro day earlier in the week. I liked Adams and I think he will be a good pro, but we don't need an Andre Carter clone on the other side of the line, too weak. I like Anderson because I think he is equally strong against the pass and the run, but we'd be drafting him on strictly potential. He had a monster year in the SEC, but he just made the move from WR to DE because he's so big and has to learn a lot of technique before he will be dominant in the NFL. I like Carriker because he's 6-6 290 and quicker than Adams (based on the drills at the combine), but I have doubts about going DE in this draft because of recent history. How cised were experts on Mario Williams last year and how big of an impact did he have? I don't think we should take the risk on a DE. So...to stop rambling on...

I'd take Amobi Okoye because he has a non-stop motor which is vital at DT, he hasn't reached his full size yet, he's about 305 and will put on weight. But more importantly, he's only 19 years old. If this kid pans out for us, I could see him in the league for the next 15-16 years and that's a scary thought if a team passes on this kid and he starts on someone else's D-line for the next decade and a half. Definitely going with OKOYE!!

I just have the feeling, that at 19, you are pretty much done growing. you might put on 10-15 lbs here or there, but he's too light, he's a 1-gap DT. we need a 2 gapper DT for Griffin. Plus we need DE even more then that.

Jamaal Anderson. I really like Okoye a lot. The more I hear about him, the more would like to see him in the burgundy and gold. That said, we need a DE more than we need DT. At least we have some youth at the DT position. I think Carter and Evans are the only NFL quality DE's on the team that aren't over 30. Daniels and Wynn in particular are nice guys, but they are depth not starters. I wish there was a way we could pick up Anderson and Okoye but its not Christmas for the Skins unfortunately.

BTW I don't understand the fascination with Branch. I mean he can't manage to get himself in shape before the draft to ensure a huge payday for himself. What kind of work ethic do you think he'll have after he gets his payday?

No point staying at 6. They will trade up and draft CJ or trade down and get a D end and a safety.

No one in their right mind thinks they will stay at 6,there is not a d end worth taking.

Way to avoid the thread topic.

"If the Skins stay at 6 and go D line..."

I hope we trade down a few spots and take Carriker. He can play both end and tackle and was right near the top of all ends as far as strength and agility goes.

Archived