Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your first job?

CoachingWinsChampionships

So I am about to start looking around for my first real job (I've been helping my mom out significantly with her home based travel agency for the past several years though) and I'm having trouble deciding what I want do. Obviously at 17 I don't exactly have a college degree or many of the skills that employers want, but I don't particularly want to go the retail route or the Burger King route either.

I'm hoping that hearing about everybody elses first job would give me some interesting ideas to consider. Any other advice (how to search, where to look... etc anything really) is appreciated as well. So what was everybody's first job?

If you are still in school, go get a restaurant job. (quick and easy cash every night if you are a busboy or a food runner). Most places won't let you serve tables 'til your 18. And for God's sake don't go to Chilis or Red Lobster. Find a decent casual fine dining type of retaurant. I know the busboys at my restaurant make between 50 -80 bucks a night during the week and can make up to a hundred at night on the weekends. I don't know what its like up there though.

If you are out of school, go get a construction job for the summer and maybe it will convince you to get a college degree.

I forgot to mention my first real job was in construction and I spent my twenties breaking my back as a roofer. Now in my late thirties I am finally finishing up my college degree. Don't take that route, please!

First real job was teaching art in a psychiatric ward. This job has really helped me with many of the personalities here at ES. First job ever was as a usher at a movie theatre. Free Theatre. Free passes for my friends. Knowledge to prevent me from ever eating movie theatre popcorn again. Wasn't a bad first gig.

I started babysitting when I was 12.

At 16, I worked at Burger King. It was fun because my friend worked there too & we always worked the same shifts because we carpooled together. Other than that...it sucked! I still won't eat at BK.

I waitressed at restaurants & bars while in college. THAT was good money & it was flexible to work around my school schedule.

Good luck!

Amy

Baskin and Robbins - $4.25 an hour but all the ice cream you could eat, and tons of chances to meet hot chicks. Exchange ice cream for numbers - its GOLD, JERRY! GOLD!

My second job was working at a B & R in Surfside Beach, SC and it was awesome. The owner/manager was a friend of my older brother's, and I got paid well, made my own hours, and you are 100% correct about the girls. We also basically ate all meals for free b/c we'd just exchange ice cream with pizza hut employees or the sub shop next door.

Combined with my first job as a cart attendent at a golf course in Myrtle Beach (which entailed nice tips and all the free golf I could play), I'm not entirely sure my quality of life has improved since those first two jobs 12 years ago... lol

Archived