Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where was everybody last year?

Koolblue13

I'm new here and was wondering where everybody was last year as far as predictions on our run.Personally I thought we could have been Super Bowl bound(although I picked the Bears) and we needed to do everything we could before the season to get there.We signed a coach to run the offense that was up front for a Head Coach job,which seemed like something that could change the NFL if it worked.Where most people not in favor of signing Al and what do ya think now?We needed a back up running back since CP was injured and only Betts behind him,we needed insurinse,right?Betts has been hurt in the past and didn't exactly push for the startin job(although now people seem ready to quit on CP for the second coming of someone) and we traded a future pick for the best RB we could get our hands on.We signed a very under rated WR in Lloyd( watch his games with Rattay at the helm,he had to be acounted for) and trade a later pick as well.How many WR's could we have drafted late in the draft who could have made an impact?I know he was disappointing,but we now that now and not then and don't say Colston,because you didn't know he was gonna be so good.We also went after the best SS in AA,who should have been unbelievable in our D,but didn't get the schemes(which is not an uncommon problem).Then when we had some more injuies,we went after a few other guys like Rumph and Vincent that didn't pan out.

I was lovin the moves we made last year.I feel like we were doin everything and everything we could to make the run we were in the possition to make.Now one year removed from being in that possition and everybody seems ready to jump ship and accept the rebuilding years we will eventualy be in.I don't get it,we are stilll there.A couple of good signings and we are right back in there.One more year under Al's system,which by the way EVERYBODY says is needed and the offense is there.A couple of guys in the possitions we need and better health from our vets and we are back in the top ten.Not to mention the young guys we already have on D and the new guys we brought in last year having another year in GW's system.Our special teams were solid last year and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

So basically I feel comfident going into this season(not the offseason) the the players we already have willl be better and that the FO will do everything they can to put us back in the possition we were in going into last year and was just curious if everybody was hopin for the #6 pick in the draft instead of the #32 we were gunnin for.

We are far from being a good team. We aren't 1-2 moves away. We are at least 2-3 really good starters away from even being a competitive team. Thoughts of being dominant should be thrown out the window. We are gonna have to grind out every game next season. It's gonna be stressful, but we have the talent to put up some Wins. The question is whether or not the coaches can get their **** together, call the right plays, manage the games properly, and bring the right people in. So far Gibbs has demonstrated that he can't do any of these things correctly.

I thought we were going to be bad and I took a lot of heat for it. Someone on this board told me to "end myself" I don't know what that means, I guess it is gamer talk for suicide or something. I just thought we did too much. The old if it aint broke don't fix it type of thing. I thought that the changes we made last year would hurt us in the short term. And boy did it ever. I do however think that if this team resists the urge to change major components on the staff and on the offense in general that we will be a very very strong competitor next season. I thing all of the 06 changes will show more results in 07. The talent is too good not too and Joe Gibbs is too good not to figure it out. I do think that the clock is really ticking now. There are no excuses left in Ashburn if this team does not go deep into the playoffs this season then Joe Gibbs must leave. He will have come back and been an overwhelming failure. I don't see that happening. I think we are in for a great ride this season and it is going to be a hell of a good time.

We are far from being a good team. We aren't 1-2 moves away. We are at least 2-3 really good starters away from even being a competitive team. Thoughts of being dominant should be thrown out the window. We are gonna have to grind out every game next season. It's gonna be stressful, but we have the talent to put up some Wins. The question is whether or not the coaches can get their **** together, call the right plays, manage the games properly, and bring the right people in. So far Gibbs has demonstrated that he can't do any of these things correctly.

People tend to forget that we went 10-6 just two seasons ago with many of the same players. Our team was playing great for awhile. The NFL is unpredictable from season to season. Look at the Chargers. In 04' they were 12-4 and followed that up with a 9-7 season and finally 14-2. The Bears, Ravens, and Steelers all recent examples of the NFL's unpredictability.

With that being said our team did look pathetic last year but I see us using it as motivation and fuel for this season. With most of the core guys experiencing out high from two years ago and our lows last year we're ready for that playoff push. Add a few key guys and we'll be ready.

I have to disagree just a little bit the way the league is set up now. It is not impossible for a quick turn around look at the Ravens, Saints both finished dead last or next to last in their divisions.. To much blame is put on the coaches when they win or lose.

How about players holding up part of their deal going out there and executing the gameplan. Coaches are not out there throwing ints or missing blocking assignments or missing tackles.

I think you are completely wrong. We were hit by a massive injury bug last year and were dealing with a new offense. If we can field even 9 of our starters on both sides of the ball for atleast 10 games, we will be making a lot of noise around the league.

We were 3 or 4 less injuries away last season from being better..And a QB switch away..I think if we are healthy next season we could possibly win 10 games with the same players..But I hope we do improve the defense.

I was optimistic for 13-3 until we lost our 4th. In fact, I had a signature about what our record would be that I ended up changing every time we lost. :doh: It's still there actually with the end result. :kickcan:

However, I make a point of never saying we are going to the SB or even calling a game before it starts as an easy win. Whenever someone asks me what our chances are, I always say, "I beleive that we have the talent and pottential to win every week." (not to be confused with thinking we will win them all) Actually, I think I might have first used that phrase before the Panthers game, so:cheers: .

I agree a ton with your assessment, I though we would go far in the playoffs and we tried to help our chances with what we did in the offseason, but the changes were too big, plus alot of injuries to top guys, plus Brunell heading things for so long, things just fell apart, but I think we will be much better next year, and that we are not that far off.

I think you are completely wrong. We were hit by a massive injury bug last year and were dealing with a new offense. If we can field even 9 of our starters on both sides of the ball for atleast 10 games, we will be making a lot of noise around the league.

Nope. The defense was the problem last year. I'm not worried about the offense at all. We have let many of our key defensive players go, the same ones that allowed us to field a great defense in Gibbs' first 2 years: Clark, Pierce, Smoot, etc. And our line is too old to do anything now. Look at our gaps in defense: Aside from D-line they are all in places where we let players go and thought we could replace them, only to realize that we didn't. We still need a corner, a linebacker, a DE, and DT and a safety (unless Archuleta can do it).

This isn't a matter of the league being crazy and that any team can get good in a hurry. Sure, any team can get good quickly, but that team still has to take the proper steps and make the right moves. The Saints brought in Brees, they drafted Bush and Colston, and brought in a passionate and inventive head coach. They took the proper steps, and had some draft luck, and it paid off. For us, that is going to involve something along the lines of a defensive overhaul, and I don't think we can do it in one offseason with only one first day pick and very little cap room.

Nope. The defense was the problem last year. I'm not worried about the offense at all. We have let many of our key defensive players go, the same ones that allowed us to field a great defense in Gibbs' first 2 years: Clark, Pierce, Smoot, etc. And our line is too old to do anything now. Look at our gaps in defense: Aside from D-line they are all in places where we let players go and thought we could replace them, only to realize that we didn't. We still need a corner, a linebacker, a DE, and DT and a safety (unless Archuleta can do it).

This isn't a matter of the league being crazy and that any team can get good in a hurry. Sure, any team can get good quickly, but that team still has to take the proper steps and make the right moves. The Saints brought in Brees, they drafted Bush and Colston, and brought in a passionate and inventive head coach. They took the proper steps, and had some draft luck, and it paid off. For us, that is going to involve something along the lines of a defensive overhaul, and I don't think we can do it in one offseason with only one first day pick and very little cap room.

Remember, Prilounea(SP!) never played a play, so he couldn't fill in for AA on the pass plays. Our pass D was actually somewhat better with Springs in it. Also, Alot of fumbles and throws weren't falling our way. That one pass in the Bucs game went right to rogers and he tapped it a away and it fell into a TE hands. In the all of the games, they were a few fumbles falling our away. Hell, I can think of at least 3 calls that easily couldv'e changed the outcome of a game. FOr example, the roughness on that one vikings receivor when Taylor hit him was BS.

Remember, we went from 6-10 to 10-6 and hopefully, we can go from 5-11 to 11-5. All we need is some pressure and a little luck(IMO)

Honestly, a year ago I was telling people we'd take a step back in 06. I just didn't have any faith in Brunell, and figured we'd have to make the move to Campbell. And it was too much to expect for him to bring us to contention. After hiring Saunders, I thought we might need a year to adjust. I was hoping the team would make all their moves with 07 in mind.

Heading into the season I was, if anything, even less optimistic. I didn't like the Archuleta signing and I HATED the Lloyd move, but it was less about those moves and more about the ones we didn't make. It was easy to see us spending a lot of games with Rogers/Wright starting at CB, the banged-up Griffin was backed up by two late-round rookies, and the inexplicable decision to hope Hall stayed healthy at K ticked me off. Plus, we were one OL injury from disaster. I just didn't feel good about it at all.

All that said, it turned out worse than I expected. But, if you're not gonna make the playoffs, you might as well get a high draft choice. And at least we made the move to Campbell.

I'm new here and was wondering where everybody was last year as far as predictions on our run.Personally I thought we could have been Super Bowl bound(although I picked the Bears) and we needed to do everything we could before the season to get there.We signed a coach to run the offense that was up front for a Head Coach job,which seemed like something that could change the NFL if it worked.Where most people not in favor of signing Al and what do ya think now?We needed a back up running back since CP was injured and only Betts behind him,we needed insurinse,right?Betts has been hurt in the past and didn't exactly push for the startin job(although now people seem ready to quit on CP for the second coming of someone) and we traded a future pick for the best RB we could get our hands on.We signed a very under rated WR in Lloyd( watch his games with Rattay at the helm,he had to be acounted for) and trade a later pick as well.How many WR's could we have drafted late in the draft who could have made an impact?I know he was disappointing,but we now that now and not then and don't say Colston,because you didn't know he was gonna be so good.We also went after the best SS in AA,who should have been unbelievable in our D,but didn't get the schemes(which is not an uncommon problem).Then when we had some more injuies,we went after a few other guys like Rumph and Vincent that didn't pan out.

I was lovin the moves we made last year.I feel like we were doin everything and everything we could to make the run we were in the possition to make.Now one year removed from being in that possition and everybody seems ready to jump ship and accept the rebuilding years we will eventualy be in.I don't get it,we are stilll there.A couple of good signings and we are right back in there.One more year under Al's system,which by the way EVERYBODY says is needed and the offense is there.A couple of guys in the possitions we need and better health from our vets and we are back in the top ten.Not to mention the young guys we already have on D and the new guys we brought in last year having another year in GW's system.Our special teams were solid last year and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

So basically I feel comfident going into this season(not the offseason) the the players we already have willl be better and that the FO will do everything they can to put us back in the possition we were in going into last year and was just curious if everybody was hopin for the #6 pick in the draft instead of the #32 we were gunnin for.

Honestly I was never optimistic we'd make it back to the playoffs last year. That was before portis went down too.

WE went from one offense that had us in the playoffs to learning a new one that the new guys said would take two years to click here.

Yeah the majority of us didn't listen to that and combine that with coaching and front office incompetence thru out the season and we end up blessed with the opportunity of adding a franchise piece on defense via the draft.

Archived