Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: With no sign of deal, Redskins G Dockery set to become free agent

D-Day

It's one thing if we truly can't afford his asking price, but we better not let him go to another team only to find out we pay some big name Free Agent twice as much as the Dock would have cost.

We do have to remember though, until the 2006 season, Dockery was seen as garbage by most, and people couldn't wait to get rid of him, and then he had one pretty good season and now people are saying he is a PRIORITY to sign.

OK, so if you look at this situation in a pro-front office way, how do you deal with Cooley? If young players you want to keep are approaching free agency, do you (A) let them play out their contracts, like Dockery, and let the market set the price or (B) lock 'em in when they're still cheap?

Hmmm... that's a really hard one, isn't it? It's not like every other team in the league hasn't already figured this one out.

The front office had plenty of chances to re-sign Dockery. They didn't. At this point, why in the hell wouldn't he wait to see what the market offers?

Yeah, because no other team ever loses any free agents.

I'm not looking at it in a pro-FO light.

I'm just saying all the psychics on this board have it all figured out. Maybe he wants to see what he can get. And maybe nothing they can say will dissuade him. I don't know, never talked to the guy.

And i'd lay my last buck that no one on this board has, either.

People are so ready to jump to conclusions, and everyone is simply speculating.

Like I said. Making whiney assumptions and laying blame with no basis is so much easier.

It's pretty much all this board does anymore.

~Bang

Damnit. Pay the man what he wants. We need to keep the o-line together and build some sense of continuity.

NO!!! They are doing right. He is not that good. He has costly penalties in big situations and as Clinton said: He trips over his own feet. He also benefited greatly by being a beneficiary because everybody else on the line is good. He is easy to replace.

It's one thing if we truly can't afford his asking price, but we better not let him go to another team only to find out we pay some big name Free Agent twice as much as the Dock would have cost.

We do have to remember though, until the 2006 season, Dockery was seen as garbage by most, and people couldn't wait to get rid of him, and then he had one pretty good season and now people are saying he is a PRIORITY to sign.

He was a beneficiary of everybody else on the line!!

It's judgement day for the front office. If they don't sign Dockery and he goes on to sign a reasonable contract with some other team, I think that's the final nail in the coffin for you front office lovers.

Only a handful of options here:

(1a) Dockery signs with the Skins for a reasonable amount.

(1b) Dockery signs with the Skins for a HUGE amount.

(2a) Dockery signs elsewhere for a reasonable amount.

(2b) Dockery signs elsewhere for a HUGE amount.

In 1a and 2b, the Skins are smart. In 1b and 2a, the Skins are dumb. But wait -- if Dockery leaves and his replacement is either expensive or not as good as Dockery (or both), then the Skins are dumb. I'd say the worst case scenario is 2a and the Skins sign some free agent to a massive contract.

The big question is, how much do the Skins value Dockery? All along, you Snyder lovers say he always gets his man, regardless of cost. It's judgement day. By all reports, the Skins want Dockery. Fire up Redskins One and drive it down 95 to Dockery's house. But this time, sign him for what he's actually worth.

Anyone take into consideration his asking price may be too high? He might be trying to get a contract similar to Thomas, and he isn't woth it. Yes he's young, but in the same breathe that people say we shouldn't overpay FAs, they say we should do whatever it takes to keep our own. Well sometimes our own aren't worth the money they want. We don't have all the cap room in the world, and if Dock is the one being unreasonable with contract figures, let him walk. Heck, it could even drive his price down.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if we re-signed Dock, but not if his contract is going to screw us out of fixing more important holes in this team. Dock can be replaced.

I agree, Doc is solid but not top OG money. If his asking price is too high then bye bye. First of all he didn't even start playing like a starter until this season. Secondly he isn't agile at all as a pulling guard which is the cornerstone of JG's offense. Again, he played solid but not solid enough to garner top dollar.

It sucks they aren't re-signing homegrown talent but let's be real... Dockery isn't even the best guard on the line and it's a toss-up between him and Rabach as to who is the worst starter overall on the o-line. If he is asking for too much, which he probably is, then the skins should say bye and get someone who is athletic enough to pull on a consistent basis without tripping over his own feet.

IMO most of the skins money should be going towards defense right now anyways. Regardless if Dockery is on the team next year or not, they will still be able to run the ball effectively and could quite possibly be even more effective with regards to counters and sweeps if he is gone.

Yeah, because no other team ever loses any free agents.

I'm not looking at it in a pro-FO light.

I'm just saying all the psychics on this board have it all figured out. Maybe he wants to see what he can get. And maybe nothing they can say will dissuade him. I don't know, never talked to the guy.

And i'd lay my last buck that no one on this board has, either.

People are so ready to jump to conclusions, and everyone is simply speculating.

Like I said. Making whiney assumptions and laying blame with no basis is so much easier.

~Bang

True, but the FO has created this precident.

They've conditioned us to expect this kind of garbage.

Making whiney assumptions and laying blame with no basis is so much easier.

~Bang

I know. It seems like the children have run off the intellegent members we used to be known for. :(

I think we all saw this coming, Dock was the biggest FA this year and there was no extension. It's almost March and still no deal. We gave Samuels and Jansen large extensions, obviously Dock isn't as high a priority to our FO. (of course OT vs OG)

If he's gone then so be it. We have to explore other options, there are good options avaliable. It'll be painful to watch the first few games next season for everyone to adjust though.

I think we all saw this coming, Dock was the biggest FA this year and there was no extension. It's almost March and still no deal. We gave Samuels and Jansen large extensions, obviously Dock isn't as high a priority to our FO. (of course OT vs OG)

If he's gone then so be it. We have to explore other options, there are good options avaliable. It'll be painful to watch the first few games next season for everyone to adjust though.

I dont think it will be too bad. People have it in their mind that if Dockery leaves our line will no longer function. As if he is the glue that holds it together. I would say he is the worst guy on the line, and if he is asking too much, I would not want him. I would be happy if we kept him, but we will be fine without him. With all the wailing I see you would think if Dockery leaves our entire team is going to crumble.

Hopefully Dock's agent is playing poker and leaked the story to the AP. The negotiating game is not over yet. BTW ... Dock is not that great ... he has trouble pulling to the right and the Skins have to compensate ... another Guard with quicker feet will make you forget him in a hurry.

Hopefully Dock's agent is playing poker and leaked the story to the AP. The negotiating game is not over yet. BTW ... Dock is not that great ... he has trouble pulling to the right and the Skins have to compensate ... another Guard with quicker feet will make you forget him in a hurry.

Spot on. He is just average, and doesnt deserve all the wailing he is getting. I would love to keep him, but he needs to have a reasonable asking price for how he plays...

I dont think it will be too bad. People have it in their mind that if Dockery leaves our line will no longer function. As if he is the glue that holds it together. I would say he is the worst guy on the line, and if he is asking too much, I would not want him. I would be happy if we kept him, but we will be fine without him. With all the wailing I see you would think if Dockery leaves our entire team is going to crumble.

I think it's more about continuity then anything. Lines build a chemistry together - they probably more than anyone else on a football field, have to operate as a unit. One entity.

It's not so much that I think the Oline will just flounder if we lose him, but I just hate the idea of MORE uncertainty. It's just one more question mark heading into the 07 season. We had the opportunity to bring back one entire cohesive unit that was finally performing up to our expectations, and now were simply letting one piece of that puzzle walk.

I'd feel much better about the whole situation if we actually had a draft pick or two to potentially find his replacement.

I think it's more about continuity then anything. Lines build a chemistry together - they probably more than anyone else on a football field, have to operate as a unit. One entity.

It's not so much that I think the Oline will just flounder if we lose him, but I just hate the idea of MORE uncertainty. It's just one more question mark heading into the 07 season. We had the opportunity to bring back one entire cohesive unit that was finally performing up to our expectations, and now were simply letting one piece of that puzzle walk.

I'd feel much better about the whole situation if we actually had a draft pick or two to potentially find his replacement.

Seattle lost the best guard in the game, Hutchinson, and they some how managed to make it back to the postseason. Why? Because the rest of the guys on the line were solid players as well. I can't even tell you who replaced Hutch, but it worked.

We have a great group of guys on our line. Losing the weakest link isn't going to kill us. Who knows, get a guy who can pull and we might have the best damn line in football.

Im sure he'll get resigned. His agent is probably just trying to milk this thing for as much as he can and push them, because he has the edge because Skins dont wanna have to find another guard. That's all it is. I know thats not what I said earlier but after getting a clear head thats where I stand.

Archived