Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: With no sign of deal, Redskins G Dockery set to become free agent

D-Day

He's young, durable, and an intrigul part of this great offensive line. What the hell is wrong with our front office? get the damn guy signed. Screw all this other crap about players from another team, GET THE DAMN GUY SIGNED.

Dock should be our #1 priority right now. If he walks, I am truely going to lose faith in this organization for a very long time.

This is so rediculous... not resigning the "sure thing" and going out to get some guy that they say will be good, but then he doesnt work out and just sits on the bench the entire season as Jason gets pounded to a pulp....

COME ON FRONT OFFICE!!:doh:

He hasnt missed 62 games in a row... OMG, this is making me sick...

Sean Taylor still has 2 or 3 years left on his deal. Don't extend him yet.

As far as Dock. I would have liked to see them finally get it right when it comes to young soon-to-be FA's. The Jon Jansen deal was nice. But this stinks of Pierce and Smoot and Clark.

Maybe something can happen last minute. Until then, I'm not going to assume anything.

Somebody had to start it. :)

I realize you're just having a little fun with the tenor of the replies, TK. However, I'm sure it is troubling to you that there is a good chance of losing the team's only legitimate starting (or backup) OL, who would still be under the age of 30 by the start of the 2007 season. That loss would be further compounded by the fact that nearly all of our already minimal 2007 draft and cap resources are rightfully being allocated to rejuvenating one of the NFL's worst, and oldest, defensive units. Surely you see the significance of losing an integral, young member from the team's best overall unit, especially given that we are starting a rookie QB, and will likely gravitate towards a run-heavy offensive equation.

Hard not to bemoan the loss of Dock, if this comes to pass. It would just be another enormous hole to fill for a team that already is plugging the dam with it's fingers. I think we can compete for a playoff spot if we make the right defensive acquisitions, and coaching adjustments, this offseason (and if Campbell progresses apace). However, if we have to start using our limited resources to address the few areas where we should already be stout... then we've got major problems. Not to mention this perception of continuing to lure FAs with vast sums, while failing to keep our own who have already proven their worth in the system.

Its extremely important that we keep Dock on board, at the very least until we have the capacity to start utilizing full drafts to replenish our system in 2008 and beyond. :2cents:

You guys realize we've already got a lot of $$$ invested in the OL? We could've let Jansen or Samuels walk this year, but we didn't for "consistency"....

Everyone wants to be the Patriots, but they also make tough decisions like this during FA. I love DD also... but these are the choices you make in NFL free agency. Let him go, take the money, and star somewhere else. If the FO chooses to spend money on defense and find a cheap player (ala NEW ENGLAND), I won't fault them for that... we need to spend the money on defense.

I realize you're just having a little fun with the tenor of the replies, TK. However, I'm sure it is troubling to you that there is a good chance of losing the team's only legitimate starting (or backup) OL, who would still be under the age of 30 by the start of the 2007 season. That loss would be further compounded by the fact that nearly all of our already minimal 2007 draft and cap resources are rightfully being allocated to rejuvenating one of the NFL's worst, and oldest, defensive units. Surely you see the significance of losing an integral, young member from the team's best overall unit, especially given that we are starting a rookie QB, and will likely gravitate towards a run-heavy offensive equation.

Hard not to bemoan the loss of Dock, if this comes to pass. It would just be another enormous hole to fill for a team that already is plugging the dam with it's fingers. I think we can compete for a playoff spot if we make the right defensive acquisitions, and coaching adjustments, this offseason (and if Campbell progresses apace). However, if we have to start using our limited resources to address the few areas where we should already be stout... then we've got major problems. Not to mention this perception of continuing to lure FAs with vast sums, while failing to keep our own who have already proven their worth in the system.

Its extremely important that we keep Dock on board, at the very least until we have the capacity to start utilizing full drafts to replenish our system in 2008 and beyond. :2cents:

Yup. I sure am.:)

And I'm also on the record as being 50/50 on keeping Dockery. He can't pull to save his ass, thus limiting the Offense to RT's side. And his footwork needs to improve dramatically. He's tripped on his own feet more then a few times resulting in clogged holes & lanes for our running backs.

[quote name=D-Day

"At this late stage' date=' it doesn't look like a deal is going to get done," Dockery's agent, Bob Sugar, told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

[/quote]

This is nothing more that a smart move by an agent looking to maximize the deal for his client in the final hours of negotiations.

I expect this deal to get done.

Did that say BOB SUGAR??!!!

just a little joke to lighten this thread a little. :silly:

Hence the reason DD may be trying to hold the skins over a barrel a bit.

Or maybe they are offereing chump change as they seem to do guys that have actually played here for a bit, while they blow the house on some other teams players. This really has to STOP. I dont mind overpaying our guys a bit. Fact of the matter is you have a pretty damn good idea of what you are getting with Dock. You really dont have a clue when you bring in another guy (see AA, Lloyd) from a different team. But we pay the hell out of those guys. We need to start taking care of our own players first. And Yeah, I'd take Dock at 4 mill a year. Is he worth every penny of 4 million? Probably not, but he gets better every year, busts his butt and our Pro Bowl tackle LOVES the guy. And he is a proven commodity here. Sign him.

The front office dug this hole. Their own players -- like Dockery, Cooley, and Taylor -- will want their big paydays. They see the way the FO pays free agents. It's only fair. So the Skins are doubly damned: all the free agents want big money to come here, and their own players want big money to stay.

You reap what you sow.

Y'know, everyone is always ready to blame the FO.

Is it even remotely possible he WANTS to try the open market?

Nah, bashing the FO is always so much easier.

~Bang

OK, so if you look at this situation in a pro-front office way, how do you deal with Cooley? If young players you want to keep are approaching free agency, do you (A) let them play out their contracts, like Dockery, and let the market set the price or (B) lock 'em in when they're still cheap?

Hmmm... that's a really hard one, isn't it? It's not like every other team in the league hasn't already figured this one out.

The front office had plenty of chances to re-sign Dockery. They didn't. At this point, why in the hell wouldn't he wait to see what the market offers?

I absolutely do not want to overpay for Dockery but there is something to be said for the excellent chemistry displayed by our OL not to mention that as a unit they were spectacular last season and DD is a known asset.

Allowing him to leave via F/A and then counting on an unknown to take his spot is a very risky proposition. Especially considering that we have a very limited number of draft picks. This may warrant a little bit of extra cash.... but not too much.

The front office dug this hole. Their own players -- like Dockery, Cooley, and Taylor -- will want their big paydays. They see the way the FO pays free agents. It's only fair. So the Skins are doubly damned: all the free agents want big money to come here, and their own players want big money to stay.

You reap what you sow.

I guess that's why Betts,Jansen,Samuels,Thrash and Cartwright broke the bank with their record setting deals??

OK, so if you look at this situation in a pro-front office way, how do you deal with Cooley? If young players you want to keep are approaching free agency, do you (A) let them play out their contracts, like Dockery, and let the market set the price or (B) lock 'em in when they're still cheap?

Hmmm... that's a really hard one, isn't it? It's not like every other team in the league hasn't already figured this one out.

The front office had plenty of chances to re-sign Dockery. They didn't. At this point, why in the hell wouldn't he wait to see what the market offers?

Cooley >>> Dockery. Isn't it possible that people here are over-rating Dockery's worth? Maybe because of what happened last year? Cooley, and Taylor, are far better and far more important than Dockery. Besides, there is literally a whole year left to re-sign those two. Dockery won't be a huge loss. I'd rather us fill more areas of immediate need, than break the bank just to keep Dock.

Everyone wants to be the Patriots, but they also make tough decisions like this during FA. I love DD also... but these are the choices you make in NFL free agency. Let him go, take the money, and star somewhere else. If the FO chooses to spend money on defense and find a cheap player (ala NEW ENGLAND), I won't fault them for that... we need to spend the money on defense.

The Pats can afford to make tough decisions like this because they stockpile draft choices as insurance. We don't have that luxury.

Y'know, everyone is always ready to blame the FO.

Is it even remotely possible he WANTS to try the open market?

Nah, bashing the FO is always so much easier.

~Bang

The FO deserves the bashing. Last year both Brandon Lloyd and Derrick Dockery were on a 1-year RFA contract. They decided to give Lloyd, who had never played a down for us, 10 million up front. One year later Dockery is about to leave us and Lloyd has had a horrible year and players dont like him. Moves like these are reasons why the FO does deserve the bashing.

Archived