Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: With no sign of deal, Redskins G Dockery set to become free agent

D-Day

Sports With no sign of deal, Redskins G Dockery set to become free agent

1 hr 49 ago redarrow_left.gifWith no sign of deal, Redskins G Dockery set to become free agent redarrow_right.gif

Printer Friendly | PDF | Email | digg

By JOSEPH WHITE, The Associated Press

Feb 21, 2007 2:22 PM (1 hr 49 mins ago)

Current rank: # 111 of 15,511 articles

WASHINGTON - The Washington Redskins are in danger of losing their top impending free agent, left guard Derrick Dockery, who will hit the open market next week unless he and the team can agree on a new contract.

"At this late stage, it doesn't look like a deal is going to get done," Dockery's agent, Todd France, told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

If Dockery leaves, it would continue a recent trend for the Redskins, who have been heavily criticized for letting their own players leave while overspending on new ones. They are still reeling from the decision last year not to re-sign safety Ryan Clark while pursuing Adam Archuleta, who wound up on the bench for much of the season despite signing the richest contract ever for his position.

Dockery, a fourth-year player from Texas, has started 61 straight games and would generate significant demand as a free agent. He was part of a line that allowed only 19 sacks last season while helping the team rank fourth in yards rushing - one of the few bright spots in a 5-11 season.

France said negotiations are ongoing, so there is still a chance of an agreement. Free agency begins March 2.

http://www.examiner.com/a-577825~With_no_sign_of_deal__Redskins_G_Dockery_set_to_become_free_agent.html

Looks like it may come true, not really sure who the website is but it is a Associated Press article. Doesn't look good for the DD fans.

The o-line can survive w/o Dock. If his asking price is too high, which looks to be the case, then you got to say no. There are greater areas of need that the big money could be used to fill. I'd like Dock to stay, but i don't believe it'd be as a big of a loss as some on here believe.

This makes me sad. Maybe we dont need to keep him, but it is so annoying w/ some of the contracts we give to see a quality player slip away so early in his career. If we throw money at a lineman at 30 yrs old no matter how good he is I WILL PUKE. Hopefully we can get someone to step in and ball.

Looks like it may come true, not really sure who the website is but it is a Associated Press article. Doesn't look good for the DD fans.

The Examiner is a DC area paper with John Keim as the sports Editor, and is a very legit source for Redskins news. from the blurb on John Keims book.

"John Keim has covered the Washington Redskins since 1994 for the Washington Examiner newspapers, Warpath magazine, Warpathinsiders.com and Pro Football Weekly. He coauthored Hail to RFK, America's Rivalry: the 20 Greatest Redskins-Cowboys Games, and also authored Stadium Stories Washinton Redskins."

This makes me sad. Maybe we dont need to keep him, but it is so annoying w/ some of the contracts we give to see a quality player slip away so early in his career. If we throw money at a lineman at 30 yrs old no matter how good he is I WILL PUKE. Hopefully we can get someone to step in and ball.

Everyone, get ready for Leonard Davis to replace Dockery. :doh:

We are a joke when it comes to retaining GOOD YOUNG PLAYERS!

What it comes down to is that we don't have the cap room just yet to give him what he wants. We will try our best to retain him but it might come down to letting him go in favor of someone cheaper like Pucillo with a rookie as backup. There is no possible way we will let Dock go and then pay someone else more. I know we are experts at getting around the cap but I don't see us making a big FA run this year.

The FO strikes again! I can't believe they will not resign him. Well here comes another losing season because our front office can't keep continuity with the team. Watch the defense get fixed but we can't move the ball because we have to use some second rate lousey Lineman. Well there goes our running game.

Are there Cowboy spies destroying our team internally? This almost seems delberate.

What it comes down to is that we don't have the cap room just yet to give him what he wants. We will try our best to retain him but it might come down to letting him go in favor of someone cheaper like Pucillo with a rookie as backup. There is no possible way we will let Dock go and then pay someone else more. I know we are experts at getting around the cap but I don't see us making a big FA run this year.

If thats the case then PAY THE MAN. The Skins know exactly what they got in him, he's a home grown guy, he was apart of the unquestioned BEST part of our team. If we are such "experts" at getting around the cap we woulda signed him by now. I know he might be "too much", but overpay for your own, not someone elses. If they let him get away it only hurts team chemistry from the standpoint of current players not feeling wanted here. They did well with Betts, and Jansen, but now they gotta seal the deal with Dock.

i must say this news is upsetting. of course there is still time, and maybe the plan is to let him recieve a few FA offers on March 2 to gauge his worth, but this is not the news i wanted to hear. what is more fundamental to the success of a gibbs football team than the offensive line? how we can dump buckets of money on AA and then let our young improving LG walk is beyond me. we shall see.

Anyone take into consideration his asking price may be too high? He might be trying to get a contract similar to Thomas, and he isn't woth it. Yes he's young, but in the same breathe that people say we shouldn't overpay FAs, they say we should do whatever it takes to keep our own. Well sometimes our own aren't worth the money they want. We don't have all the cap room in the world, and if Dock is the one being unreasonable with contract figures, let him walk. Heck, it could even drive his price down.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if we re-signed Dock, but not if his contract is going to screw us out of fixing more important holes in this team. Dock can be replaced.

Anyone take into consideration his asking price may be too high? He might be trying to get a contract similar to Thomas, and he isn't woth it. Yes he's young, but in the same breathe that people say we shouldn't overpay FAs, they say we should do whatever it takes to keep our own. Well sometimes our own aren't worth the money they want. We don't have all the cap room in the world, and if Dock is the one being unreasonable with contract figures, let him walk. Heck, it could even drive his price down.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if we re-signed Dock, but not if his contract is going to screw us out of fixing more important holes in this team. Dock can be replaced.

this is a very good point, we don't know where the problem is. maybe our front office is doing just fine (did i just type that?) and it's dock that's being unreasonable.

i definately don't think we should overpay, for him or anyone, but i would LOVE to know what the problem is.

this is a very good point, we don't know where the problem is. maybe our front office is doing just fine (did i just type that?) and it's dock that's being unreasonable.

i definately don't think we should overpay, for him or anyone, but i would LOVE to know what the problem is.

100% agree, I wonder if DD just wants to test the market and in that case no contract within reason may be worth it. Maybe he doesn't want a contract with the funny money but reachable and keepable (ie not restructurable or no roster bonus money just up front bonus money). We just don't know. What if his cap numbers the way he wants it tops 4 mil this year. He would be too expensive to keep.

Archived