Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: With no sign of deal, Redskins G Dockery set to become free agent

D-Day

Man I would literally throw up if they let Taylor and Cooley get away.

I don't think we will. Taylor and Cooley are on their rookie contracts. Both are performing at high levels, they are arguably top 5 at their respective positions. They are going to want big contracts, not just simple extensions. The Skins need to get further under the cap, and address a couple areas of immediate need first, before getting to that.

Fortunately, GW has a giant man crush on Taylor, and ST is a physical freak. You don't let that get away. I honestly won't be surprised to see Taylor stay a Skins his entire career. The Eagles would never let Dawkins go, they'd sooner cut other people if they needed the cap space to keep Dawkins. I believe the same is true for us w/ Taylor.

Cooley is very lucky in the sense that he is a big time fan favorite, there is nobody at TE after him (Yoder? C'mon) and he has a great attitude and work ethic. He isn't going to demand as much as Taylor, but he will get paid as a top 10 TE.

I honestly expect their deals to be worked out before the 2007 season is over. Kind of like the Samuels and Betts dealings.

If thats the case then PAY THE MAN. The Skins know exactly what they got in him, he's a home grown guy, he was apart of the unquestioned BEST part of our team. If we are such "experts" at getting around the cap we woulda signed him by now. I know he might be "too much", but overpay for your own, not someone elses. If they let him get away it only hurts team chemistry from the standpoint of current players not feeling wanted here. They did well with Betts, and Jansen, but now they gotta seal the deal with Dock.

What I'm saying is that the only reason we haven't resigned him yet is that we can't afford him right now. We haven't quite gotten around the cap just yet. It might also very well be that Dock wants to see what other offers come in before he takes the one already on the table. If he really wants to stay here, he will give us the chance to counter whatever else comes in.

I dont know if the FO wants him to test the waters or He wants to test the waters, someone will give him close to he money he wants and will show him they want him more than the front office does, and thats the problem.

What other young lineman besides Dock is a FA? Any coach will love to grab this guy and mold him to be a stud, pisses me off because they need to protect Jason with a line that knows each other.

This team's primary current strength is the effectiveness of it's running game, and obviously nothing (aside from inserting Campbell over the hapless Brunell) was more important to the advent of our most recent flashes of productive running than continuity along our OL. Losing the youngest, perhaps highest ceiling, member of our OL is simply UNTENABLE. Dock must be retained, at least until next year when we have a full compliment of draft picks to start the rebuilding youth infusion along our OL.

This would be an unmitigated disaster, as we would be creating new holes in areas of strength, faster than we can plug the myriad of holes in areas of weakness (by drafting Branch, landing a MLB/CB through F.A. etc...). Pray for a last minute resolution!! A franchise that throws exorbitant sums at other teams cast-offs, but won't ante up to retain it's own homegrown talent, is one doomed to a perpetual cycle of mediocrity. Re-sign Dock!!

Oh well. Hope he stays, but we can't overpay for him.

Remember Robert Royal? The Bills lay a huge contract on him and he was gone. Someone will invest in Doc. He was part of a line that was dominant in the second half of the last two years.

This should hopefully allow us to keep Cooley and Taylor, two players who have actually distinguished themselves with their play. You can't afford have studs across the line (unless some are on their rookie contract.) They could pick up a guard in the first day of the draft and plug him in and do fine.

It'd be nice to see him stay, but welcome to the real world. I hope they look to the draft for options instead of overpaying for a replacement.

It might also very well be that Dock wants to see what other offers come in before he takes the one already on the table. If he really wants to stay here, he will give us the chance to counter whatever else comes in.

Well Im looking at history around here and it goes a little something like this.

If they want a player, they go ahead and sign him at 12:01 am...

If he becomes a FA and goes out the door, they never come back..

Now if its role-playing guys like Evans, then for the most part they stay, but starters for the team......

Anyone take into consideration his asking price may be too high? He might be trying to get a contract similar to Thomas, and he isn't woth it. Yes he's young, but in the same breathe that people say we shouldn't overpay FAs, they say we should do whatever it takes to keep our own. Well sometimes our own aren't worth the money they want. We don't have all the cap room in the world, and if Dock is the one being unreasonable with contract figures, let him walk. Heck, it could even drive his price down.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be very happy if we re-signed Dock, but not if his contract is going to screw us out of fixing more important holes in this team. Dock can be replaced.

Certainly, which is why I'm not in any kind of panic over this. It could turn out that he's asking for an amount that we could sign Steibach or Dielman to, and they're both better. I know people get all hot and bothered about continuity on the line, but a significant upgrade in talent still trumps that. Or, it could be that Dockery ends up having to come back and what we've offered all along.

The reason for worry, however, is that it could just as easily be the opposite. He could asking for, say, 4 mil per year and we're turning him down. Then he gets an offer of 5 mil per once he hits the market.

Obviously we have no way of knowing if either of those (or neither) are the case as of now.

If you let him go then you create an area of need. What exactly are you willing to pay for the replacement? Who out their can come in and perform right away? O-Line is one place where consistency is key, these guys need to have chemistry with each other. Its absolutely vital that they area comfortable working together.

By letting Dockery go you disrupt established chemistry of the best unit on the team. You take away a young full time starter for the past 4 years. This is unacceptable.

Alot of people like to say the game is won and loss in the trenches...lets see how many people stand by that now.

It looks like this front office might finally be learning and is exercising some fiscal responsibility (not that they have much of a choice given the mess they've created). All the same, I think we'll see a new focus on the draft the next few years. Our "genius" Free Agent shopping spree last season actually made the team worse instead of better - so I think that's going to be burned in their memory for a long time to come. Whether they don't want to overpay Dock, or they can't afford to, it doesn't matter. One way or another they will either pay a competitive price or be forced to let him go.

If you let him go then you create an area of need. What exactly are you willing to pay for the replacement? Who out their can come in and perform right away? O-Line is one place where consistency is key, these guys need to have chemistry with each other. Its absolutely vital that they area comfortable working together.

By letting Dockery go you disrupt established chemistry of the best unit on the team. You take away a young full time starter for the past 4 years. This is unacceptable.

Alot of people like to say the game is won and loss in the trenches...lets see how many people stand by that now.

Great Post,

The Oline is the one of two places on the team that I buy the chemistry excuse. Knowing what the other player does in a pinch without having to think about it is critical to the OL and DB's and little less so with QB and WR's.

it never stops blowing my mind... some of the moves in the past i could see their point or what they had in mind... but this makes O sense to me... ZERO... he is heading into his 5th year and has been healthy... and is more than a solid player.. what more do you want... he knows the system he knows the plays.. he knows the coaches... make it happen......

i would be pissed if we lose him... its just another hole that we have to fill.... and its not one of the sexy positions they like to go after... which means we will fill in with some scrub who will let JC and Portis/betts get nailed all year.....

Great Post,

The Oline is the one of two places on the team that I buy the chemistry excuse. Knowing what the other player does in a pinch without having to think about it is critical to the OL and DB's and little less so with QB and WR's.

When you think about this you have to look at Rabach. His first year here he got several false start, holding etc. penalties. Fast forward one year he played well the line was consistent.

Maybe this had something to do with being in the system and familiarity with each other. This is not like replacing a skill player, this is one of the few sides where group work is absolutely key.

Archived