Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is your favorite stand up comedian?

RobertGoulet

good selections up so far, and I'll throw in Danny Glover from Community as well; his stand-up is great

I'm getting too old for this ****

just kidding....I just saw Donald Glover's stand up DVD Weirdo. It was good, but not as good as his half hour special that was on Comedy Central a couple of years ago

*bump*

I just watched Happy Thoughts by Daniel Tosh...it was fantastic

His Completely Serious was better than Happy Thoughts, in my opinion.

Its funny looking back at my short list from 5 years ago when this thread was first started. My new list, in no particular order:

• Mike Birbiglia- this guy is an awkward fellow who has a lot of stories about his awkward life. He's got a serious sleepwalking problem, which his stand up special "Sleepwalk with me" is centered around, focusing on the time he jumped out of a window.
  • Aziz Ansari- Don't know how to describe him, but I like him quite a lot.
  • Dimitri Martin- He was mentioned earlier in the thread. He's big on the one-liners, but if that's not your thing, give his special "If I" a look over. It's an introspective look into his life. It really gives you an appreciation of just how smart he really is, and is one of my favorite comedy specials I've ever seen.
  • Daniel Tosh- He has a child-like glee over being offensive. A lot of his comedy is to make the audience members uncomfortable, like when he goes on about what each race would taste like if they were food, and when he got to whites, said "you don't eat white people", for the purpose of making the white people who just laughed at all his previous material uncomfortable.
  • Christopher Titus- Tells the depressing story of his life. So sad, yet hilarious.
  • Bo Burnham- Still quite young (20?). He likes to work in misdirection, does musical bits. Very clever kid.
  • Donald Glover- Former writer for 30-Rock, now has a role in Community. His "thing" is that he's a black nerd and he has stories about growing up as one where kids had expectations of him because he was black, but he did not fit them at all. He does a great Chris Rock impression. His Comedy Central special is clean comedy, while his Weirdo is a lot dirtier.

Hands down my favorite is Don Rickles.

I'll always will be vintage Carlin, Dice & Kinison.

Modern days i'm all over the place but Patton Oswalt just kills me. And someone who really makes me laugh (clean and safe) is Ellen Degeneres, I think it's her Bob Newhart'ish delivery of jokes, plus she's just funny in general.

5) Joe Rogan (underrated but has great sets and absolutely DESTROYS hecklers) lol

Fun fact: My late step-grandfather is Joe Rogan's uncle or great-uncle or something along those lines. That said, I preferred Rogan's man-show partner, Doug Stanhope. Stanhope has something to say with his material.

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 11:46 PM ----------

Anthony Jeselnik is gold! I love how he sets you up for what sounds like a normal joke and just completely blindsides you with his dark sense of humor. So funny.

He's very good with the dark misdirections on seemingly innocent jokes, and he does it all with a straight face as if what he's saying is completely normal.

• 9 months later...
Yeah, he is my current favorite. I saw his new show on Comedy Central last night, and it was a tad disappointing.

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet, but it's the same with a couple other guys I like. Swardson is hilarious in stand up but I haven't liked any of his shows, and I think Nick Kroll is pretty funny in stand up and his show is just kinda eh.

Lately I've been liking Mike Birbiglia. Some people are just naturally funny,, seems effortless.

He's excellent.

But Lewis Black .. I think he's taking Carlin's mantle.

Spotify is good for listening to good comedy albums. Lots of stuff.

~Bang

Suzanne Westenhoefer, Kate Clinton, and Wanda Sykes - all lesbian comedians and super funny.

Ugh. One day you will get it.

Why make it a point that they are lesbians ? If you can't let it go, why would you expect others to let it go ?

You put them in a pocket by making your point...let people watch them and appreciate the comedy.

Archived