Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS RELEASE LB COACH DALE LINDSEY

skinssince82

By the way some of you post, it's pretty obvious you have no clue about the game and have never once strapped on a helmet. There was no great, apparent reason why he was let go. So stop with the 'he sucks' comments. Cause none of you have a clue.

Huh? Did you watch the games this year? I played football, but hell, even my wife knew that our LB play was miserable this year. They were consistently out of position, unable to get off blocks, and missing tackles. There's a reason our top tacklers were safeties...and it's not because the LBs were being effectively coached. :laugh:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=24382

The Redskins announced on Tuesday that linebackers coach Dale Lindsey has been released by the organization.

"We appreciate the work and effort Dale has given the organization over the past three seasons, but we have decided to move in a different direction with our linebackers," said head coach Joe Gibbs.

Lindsey has been in charge of the linebackers during the last three seasons and has spent a total of five years of his 29-year NFL career with the Redskins, including a two-year stint with the organization in 1997-98.

Under Lindsey, the linebackers thrived in 2004-05, with Marcus Washington earning a Pro Bowl nod in 2004. Antonio Pierce and Lemar Marshall established themselves under his guidance.

The Redskins' defense as a whole struggled last season, though. The unit finished the season ranked 31st in the NFL in yardage allowed.

Lindsey is a veteran coach who rejoined the Redskins in 2004. He had previously served as a defensive coordinator with San Diego from 2002-03 and linebackers coach with Chicago from 1999-2001.

I can't imagine they are really that disappointed with McIntosh. He played well when he was ACTUALLY ALLOWED TO PLAY.

The LaVar fiasco was his fault in many ways - he didn't even try to get along with LaVar and treat him like a man. Of course LaVar had tons of faults too - I'm certainly not a LaVar defender.

But his stubborn insistence to consistently start the worst linebacker in football FOR TWO SEASONS STRAIGHT means it's long time for him to go.

Please fire Steve Jackson - that JOKE of a coach next!!!

I agree 100%. The only one that earned his money this year was Danny Smith.

I don't like the move either...there's simply no way he's responsible for the play of Holdman.

Only thing that would make sense to me is the possible under-development of Rocky?

I think his sh*t-talking on the radio before the Giants game had alot to do with it. Very unprofessional. I disagree about Holdman, but I dont think it was he was the guy that put him on the field, that has to be firmly in GW's pocket as the coordinator. Holdman simply should not have been out there either Posey (if Rocky wasnt read) or Rocky should have been. Heck, I'd give Posey a shot at MLB at this point, and move Marshall back to OLB.

well, the Redskins linebackers sure didn't seem to improve under Lindsay's tutelage. Marcus Washington was already a premium player when he was acquired in free agency so I don't credit this staff with his performances. But the fact Lindsay didn't stick up for Antonio Pierce and seemingly couldn't get Rocky McIntosh into the flow of action 12-13 games into the season made me think at 64 that he was part of the problem rather than part of the solution......................

then you add in the blind loyalty showed to Warrick Holdman for 2 years.............

we need some younger blood on this staff, some up and comers that can do what Sean Payton and Co. did in New Orleans.

I think the club should let Saunders go as well. I don't think he adds much to this team, at least not if Gibbs is going to insist on guiding the running game and measuring the progress of Campbell week by week in gameplanning.

That doesn't leave Saunders much to do except pick up a paycheck.

Who else would he start?

Well gosh........how about a guy named Rocky :)

Larry Coyer. He was just fired as the Broncos DC, but he was their LB coach prior to that. He developed that group into a damn good unit.
Thank you for the input, he certainly is a possibility!!!

This is the main person who said Lavar couldn't get the so called complicated Greg Williams system. Yet this moron and Williams spend 2 second rounders on Lavars replacement but don't play him(Mcintosh). They cut Lavar's replacement from last season only to bring back this season. He stunk last season and he stunk this season. WTF are these coaches doing? Now Lindsey is gone. I say fire Williams too. Not because he can't coach but because he and Lindsey let it get personal. Thats why this defense failed this season.

They're already not evaluating whats wrong with this defense. 1st and foremost. The inability to stop the run. Its not because teams have figured out the Cover 2. Hell whatever you run, you have to stop the run. I watched you the Ravens played the other day. Their safties played 15 yards off the ball and they were able to defend against the run. Sean Taylor had to constantly cheat up to just make the run defense below average. It was ridiculous. I'll say it again. If you can't stop the run, you can't play defense. PERIOD. Don't matter about the scheme. Williams and company thought they could keep pluggin in anybody and get away with it.

I've wonderd if we really need both - leaves too much possibility for mis-communications in the same back-field.

FYI... I just finished watching the '88 skins superbowl on the NFL network (that automatically recorded on the tivo) and one of the announcers, I think it was Frank, mentioned that "Washington had as many coaches on their squad as all the other NFL teams....almost one for one." And this was in '88.

Not a direct quote but something along those lines. Maybe Gibbs believes in a lot overlap in certain areas.

Just a thought.

Archived