Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS RELEASE LB COACH DALE LINDSEY

skinssince82

The linebackers didn't stink because of Lindsey. The stunk because...they stink!

The linebackers on this team aren't very good, for the most part. Regardless of who's coaching them.

Dude, still there was no reason that Holdman continued to play when teams gutted our defensive right side all year. That alone was reason for him to be fired. McIntosh and Posey should have gotten a lot more time -- and never did. Even Khary Campbell as well. Makes ya wonder if Holdman and Lindsey had thing for each other.

However, I do feel Lindsey is being scape goated for GW. After all, he's the head of he defensive and shoud have intervened at some point.

Here's what happened: The Brass went over tape of all the games this year (probably Gibbs too on the defensive side) and realized, there was no "Sane" reason why McIntosh did not play sooner -- considering how Holdman played, and how teams killed us on that side. Gibbs trusted in his coaches and they failed him -- particularly Lindsey.

Then the comments about Lavar were out of line. Sure you can talk smack when your defense is top shelf, but when it is the second to worst in the league, you get fired! He talked smack even this year, and was probably the main reason Lavar was run out of town.

Lindsey was a problem for playing Holdman as long as he did -- and it got him fired. So arrogant. He deserved it.

This team will be better next year, because Gibbs hand prints are going to be all over the team next year. Gibbs is loyal and trusts his coaches. He does not micromanage. Based on the resultls this year, he has realized he allowe his coaches way too much lattitude, and won't do so this upcoming year.

This year was an embarassment for Joe -- and is probably even more determined.

Dude, still there was no reason that Holdman continued to play when teams gutted our defensive right side all year. That alone was reason for him to be fired. McIntosh and Posey should have gotten a lot more time -- and never did. Even Khary Campbell as well. Makes ya wonder if Holdman and Lindsey had thing for each other.

Well, Campbell didn't play because he was injured for much of the second half of the season and was put on the IR. But I agree, the Lindsay firing may have been a scapegoat, but the Lavar comments were completely unnecessary and just seemed arrogant by letting things get too personal.

As for what you said about Gibbs, I sure hope Gibbs' prints are all over this team next season.....especially on the offensive end.

It seems almost inevitable that this team improves on this season simply because....well it can't get much worse. The defense must improve, and it will be another year under Saunders as well as another year for Saunders and Gibbs to agree on offensive philosophy and play calling.

FYI... I just finished watching the '88 skins superbowl on the NFL network (that automatically recorded on the tivo) and one of the announcers, I think it was Frank, mentioned that "Washington had as many coaches on their squad as all the other NFL teams....almost one for one." And this was in '88.

Not a direct quote but something along those lines. Maybe Gibbs believes in a lot overlap in certain areas.

Just a thought.

The quote was the Redskins had the most coaches in the NFL

So clearly Gibbs has always liked a big staff

The quote was the Redskins had the most coaches in the NFL

So clearly Gibbs has always liked a big staff

But of course when the Skins are losing, a big staff is seen as a flaw. Obviously this quote was stating that the vast amount of assistants was a factor for the Skins' success.

Lastest from the WP: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/16/AR2007011601263.html

We are going to need another CB and with Clements knowing GW's system, he will probably be one of our FA pickups.

Please read the updated WP. Link above.

From the article: The Redskins have long been high on defensive assistant Kirk Olivadotti, who has drawn overtures from the Miami Dolphins in recent years, team sources indicated, and it is very likely he will be named Lindsey's replacement. Olivadotti was promoted to defensive line-special teams coach last year, and continued to earn strong praise from Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense.

Olivadotti's reserved and subdued nature are in stark contrast from Lindsey.

Oh come on, everyone. Lindsey was fired because he openly called Lavar out to the media! Yes, all the defensive coaches sucked but at least they kept their mouths shut! Also, Lindsey yelled at Lavar all last season and it bothered the players who thought he should just let it go. But it was his comments to the media earlier in the season that did him in.

Sources at the Washington Post are saying no other coaches will be fired.

Please read the updated WP. Link above.

From the article: The Redskins have long been high on defensive assistant Kirk Olivadotti, who has drawn overtures from the Miami Dolphins in recent years, team sources indicated, and it is very likely he will be named Lindsey's replacement. Olivadotti was promoted to defensive line-special teams coach last year, and continued to earn strong praise from Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense.

Olivadotti's reserved and subdued nature are in stark contrast from Lindsey.

"But Williams has deep ties to Jackson, a former player of his and longtime assistant, as well as to cornerbacks coach Jerry Gray, who joined the organization last year."

I really hope Gibbs steps in and gets rid of Jackson at the very least. Either way, it seems like Williams finds spots for people he likes as coaches, no matter if they are good or would mesh with the players they are coaching. Very discouraging.

Lindsey's instincts didn't serve the Redskins well.

He didn't make a strong case to keep Antonio Pierce and then replaced Pierce inside with the 225 pound Lemar Marshall who is the same size as SAFETIES, Adam Archuleta and Sean Taylor.

He kept Rocky McIntosh in the doghouse for most of the 2006 season despite the fact the defense needed an infusion of youth and speed and playmaking ability.

The LaVar controversy was not of Lindsay's making (it was first and foremost a contract squabble between Arrington and Snyder) but he sure didn't ameliorate the situation, instead he poured gasoline on it by maintaining that Warrick Holdman was starting because he was the superior player.

Now, even with all of Arrington's faults, who can say that with a straight face and mean it? :laugh:

Holdman 32 by next season may not be back in the NFL in 2007 except as a stop gap backup on a team with injury problems. He generated no interest in free agency in 2006 and I don't see that changing much this time around.

Per Redskins.com Dale Lindsey has been released as linebackers coach. :applause:
That was a very polite way of saying that Lindsey hasn't got the job done and in essence, he's obviously replaceable. Further, i believe that Greg Williams should have recognized his failure earlier. !!! :mad:

If former Redskins Linebacker Monte Coleman was available and if I were Joe Gibbs myself, I would definitely get him (Monte Coleman-#51) as Dale Lindsey's replacement in being the Linebackers Coach for the Redskins. He was definitely a leader and a motivator as a Redskins Linebacker during the Redskins Super Bowl years. Just like Earnest Byner is coaching the Redskins Running Backs, Monte Coleman would definitely be a good candidate in my opinion to coach the Redskins Linebackers. However, I can only dream on and on. If a Redskins Linebacker made a mistake, I am sure Monte Coleman would be up in his face.

“We appreciate the work and effort Dale has given the organization over the past three seasons, but we have decided to move in a different direction with our linebackers,” said Head Coach Joe Gibbs.

Hopefully that direction is towards the quarterback.

And hell yes, i say CALL Monte Coleman!

The man is a Redskin thru and thru, a true Burgundy and Gold WARRIOR.

~Bang

“We appreciate the work and effort Dale has given the organization over the past three seasons, but we have decided to move in a different direction with our linebackers,” said Head Coach Joe Gibbs.

Hopefully that direction is towards the quarterback.

~Bang

Get bigger linebackers with speed. There is no use having Warrick Holdmans and Lamar Marshalls that are smaller than Sean Taylor.

What is the point of having linebackers that can not make up ground or shed their blockers?

Marshall would be a valuable reserve or spot starter on the outside. The team needs to find a MLB that goes 245-250 and can adequately support the DTs inside vs the run. Marshall began to physically break down vs. the pounding inside and became less and less effective as the 2006 season went on.

Again, the Redskins got rid of some talent they should have kept (Pierce) and failed to adequately prepare new talent (McIntosh) to get on the field and help make a difference in 2006.

Marshall would be a valuable reserve or spot starter on the outside. The team needs to find a MLB that goes 245-250 and can adequately support the DTs inside vs the run. Marshall began to physically break down vs. the pounding inside and became less and less effective as the 2006 season went on.

Again, the Redskins got rid of some talent they should have kept (Pierce) and failed to adequately prepare new talent (McIntosh) to get on the field and help make a difference in 2006.

Hopefully.Washington ,McIntosh are two good linebackers. Maybe we can add a pass rushing DE in the draft and move Carter to right linebacker.

Gibbs said McIntosh would play middle linebacker for them in one presser. I guess he slipped a little.

I did look it up and he is a LB coach at Arkansas.

But, if they like Olivadotti in that position, I wouldn't mind that either. He at least has been on staff and knows the players and what is going on.

As for Lindsey, I can't say I'm too surprised. The LBs probably have been the most underperforming group on this defense, which I've been saying for most of the season.

Jason

Like I said, if I was Joe Gibbs, I'd get Monte Coleman to be the Redskins Linebacker Coach and probably Alvin Walton to coach the safeties and secondary. Darrell Green would be a perfect fit for being the Redskins Cornerbacks Coach. Charles Mann, Dexter Manley, Darryl Grant, or Dave Butz would be excellent in coaching the Redskins Defensive Line. Any of them would show the current Redskins Defensive Line how its done. If Gregg Williams don't like their methods, let Williams go and bring Ritchie Petitbon back. Yeah, Petitbon sucked as Redskins Head Coach, but he was one heck of a defensive coordinator for the Redskins during Joe Gibbs first stint as Redskins Head Coach.

Archived